I can't find a judgment free gym =(

Options

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    How do you know they call you meat-head behind your back? How do you know that they are glaring at you and being judgmental? I find that when we think people are thinking bad thoughts or saying things behind our backs, it is false. If you do think they are being judgmental, so what? Why let it bother you? Who cares what they think? Do you think that maybe they are jealous that you can lift that much? Do you think that maybe they wish they could do that?

As for the woman saying that, I am sure she did that out of feeling intimidated by men. If you haven't been here long, there are a ton of posts about women being nervous about lifting at a gym because they feel that is the men's section of the gym. I wouldn't take it so personal. Next time, don't offer. If she needs help, then she can ask. That way you won't be subjected to her fears and neuroses.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Didn't you just build yourself a home gym??
  • jaymesjourney
    Options
    They have Planet Fitness which bases itself on a judgement free zone...maybe try there?

you're kidding, right? You can't make noise there when lifting! you'll get kicked out!
    They have Planet Fitness which bases itself on a judgement free zone...maybe try there?

Guess you missed this part which would set off that lunk alarm leaving him to feel even worse than he already does now.
    I try and be quiet, but sometimes when you're lifting your body-weight-plus on a bar, a little noise comes out. It's just natural.

Just trying to make a suggestion which is what the OP asked for.

EDIT: And when I worked out there they dont kick you out for making "noise". When you slam the weights down hard enough yes the alarm goes off but I've only seen it once and the guy shouldn't have been lifting that much weight to begin with and dropped it hard so he wouldn't break his neck.

https://www.google.com/search?q=you+tube&rlz=1C1DVCJ_enUS496US496&aq=f&oq=you+tube&aqs=chrome.0.57j0j5j0j62l2.3740j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=getting+kicked+out+of+planet+fitness+site:youtube.com&sa=X&ei=yguAUd6uFcTtygGAnIHQDA&ved=0CE4Q2wE&rlz=1C1DVCJ_enUS496US496&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.aWc&fp=3667838120add375&biw=1024&bih=677

Have a nice day :wink:

LOL i'm not trying to start a debate. OP asked a question and I gave a suggestion...they can either take it and try it out themselves or ignore it and move on to the next suggestion. You have a wonderful day yourself.
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

The worst part is, sometimes people, usually women, come into the weight area and glare at me.
    I can't even look around the weight room to see what's free without someone getting all huffy' like I'm trying to creep on them.

I'm sorry, but you're being a huge baby. They glare at you? Are you in highschool? Who cares if people "glare" at you. Try being an overweight woman (the ONLY woman ever in the weight room) with guys snickering and watching you pick up the smaller weights. It doesn't bother me, I notice it sure, but I don't freakin care because I'm there for me, not them.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Meant to add its fairly cheap $10 base price $20 for the black card which gives you tanning, "massages" and the ability to go to any PF gym.

Its definitely a basic gym. No classes, no pool or anything like that. but its a good place to just workout!

They're super judgemental, look at their ads.
  • jaymesjourney
    Options

Meant to add its fairly cheap $10 base price $20 for the black card which gives you tanning, "massages" and the ability to go to any PF gym.

Its definitely a basic gym. No classes, no pool or anything like that. but its a good place to just workout!

Once again...just giving a suggestion they can take it or ignore it :)
  • I just want to go and lift some weights. I don't care what everyone else is doing.

But every time I go, and keep to myself, people in the cardio section glare at me and call me a meat-head behind my back.
    I try and be quiet, but sometimes when you're lifting your body-weight-plus on a bar, a little noise comes out. It's just natural.

Sometimes it goes 'clank' setting it down. It's heavy, and I don't want to slip a disc.
    But I guess it interrupts the moderately loud WOOSH-WOOSH of the ellipticals.

The worst part is, sometimes people, usually women, come into the weight area and glare at me.
    I can't even look around the weight room to see what's free without someone getting all huffy' like I'm trying to creep on them.

Just the other day, I saw a young lady struggling to load plates on a bar sitting on the ground for deadlifts. I went over to offer to hold the bar to she could load it, but when I approached she just huffed up and said "WOMEN CAN WORK OUT ON THIS SIDE OF THE GYM TOO."

Does anyone know a judgment free gym for the rest of us?
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Those women are crazy! Keep doing what you're doing, keep lifting and grunt as loud as you want! It's their problem, not yours!
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Try Planet Fitness. It's awesome!!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    LOL!!
  • I think people will always say something about something. Just bring in some music to zone out on and screw everybody else. If you're dropping the weights to hard then someone from the gym will talk to you. Or just join a power gym. Have fun!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Once again...just giving a suggestion they can take it or ignore it :)
    If I had to guess, I'd say the OP is poking gentle fun at Planet Fitness' alleged "judgment free" policies.
  • skitttlesrock
    skitttlesrock Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    wow.. I think maybe you THINK people are making judgements behind your back but they're really not, but if they are WHO CARES!!!!

And actually I stare at people becazuse I'm thinking wow that looks awesome!! I want to try that!!!
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    All I can think of now are the Planet Fitness ads: "I pick things up and put them down."

I agree with the others who said who gives a rat's butt what anybody else thinks? I don't currently go to a gym because they're either too far or too pricey, but when I did, I never cared if someone was clanging or grunted or doing whatever they wanted to do. If someone does care, that's their problem, not yours. If only becomes your problem if you allow that (or if you go to PF and they set off the lunk alarm).
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they just need to get to know you rather than judge a book by its cover *shrug*
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Just ignore them, thats what headphones are for. I couldn't care less if I get looked at (I don't) I pay my gym fees like the rest of them, I'd just use the equipment and do my workout, and block out anyone else.

Exactly, headphones. I wear headphones because they protect my hearing from a**holes.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    2qRDNll.gif
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I workout in my basement. Never judged and that's why I don't want to join a gym.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Have you tried maybe going to a yoga class or spin? Just stay in the back to yourself. I'm sure after a few weeks you will find that they appreciate your attempts at fitting in and be more open with you.
  • ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Who cares what they think. Hold your head up high and walk in like you own the place :) It might just be that you are self conscience and they aren't really judging you. Maybe the girl glaring at you is just in shock and awe. Maybe she is thinking "Wow, that is my hero" :)