I can't find a judgment free gym =(

Options

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I thought people were joking about Planet Fitness. I guess they never saw this news story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/18/nyregion/18grunt.html?ref=nyregion&_r=0
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    They have Planet Fitness which bases itself on a judgement free zone...maybe try there?

Meant to add its fairly cheap $10 base price $20 for the black card which gives you tanning, "massages" and the ability to go to any PF gym.

Its definitely a basic gym. No classes, no pool or anything like that. but its a good place to just workout!

If your weights drop down or you are grunting, an alarm will sound at PF. I think it's the no lunk alarm or something like that. When I went there for a short period of time, that happened a lot. Then everyone stares at whoever did it and laughs.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Dude, you are totally being hypersensitive. Unless you are screaming and acting completely obnoxious, I'm pretty sure most of what you're thinking is going on is only in your head. I've trained and worked at many gyms, from Gold's Gym Venice Beach to 24 Hour Fitness, to hoity, high-end L.A. places to private training gyms, and honestly have not seen the sort of attitudes you're talking about, really, in ANY of them. Don't let one *****y lady scare you off; people can be *kitten*, but probably not to the extent that you think they are being (how do you know they talk behind your back?? WTH?).
    Put your headphones on, keep your head down and concentrate on yourself and your workout. Oh, and don't forget to re-rack those big-*kitten* weights. ;)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Hey OP I think you've got it all wrong. Those people whispering about your groans are clearly just impressed with the manly manner in which you're squatting.

Also, those girls you see rolling your eyes at you? They're really just checking you out. I would approach them in between sets and correct them on their form (as they're women and therefore inexperienced). Maybe strike up a little conversation and see if you can get a number or two.

I think the problem is just your confidence.

:flowerforyou:
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Lol at all the Planet Fatness suggestions.

OP, butch up mate. When you're lifting, the only persons opinion that counts is the one who's under the bar. Who gives a **** if the cardio bunnies are glaring at you? Revel in it, use it as motivation.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    . I would approach them in between sets and correct them on their form (as they're women and therefore inexperienced). Maybe strike up a little conversation and see if you can get a number or two.

Ok, that made me laugh out loud!
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    All gym's are judgement FREE when you got the right vibe. I use to have the same problem until I stop saying "I don't care about what these people do in this gym" and starting REALLY living like I didn't care about what the people in the gym did.

As long as I wipe down the machine I used and rack my weights - I know i'm doing what i'm suppose to do. Other than that I got my ear-buds in doing me.
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    How do you know they call you meat-head behind your back? How do you know that they are glaring at you and being judgmental? I find that when we think people are thinking bad thoughts or saying things behind our backs, it is false. If you do think they are being judgmental, so what? Why let it bother you? Who cares what they think? Do you think that maybe they are jealous that you can lift that much? Do you think that maybe they wish they could do that?

As for the woman saying that, I am sure she did that out of feeling intimidated by men. If you haven't been here long, there are a ton of posts about women being nervous about lifting at a gym because they feel that is the men's section of the gym. I wouldn't take it so personal. Next time, don't offer. If she needs help, then she can ask. That way you won't be subjected to her fears and neuroses.

Agree with the above post. I may be wrong, but this sounds more like lack of confidence than people being judgemental. They call you meathead and you hear it/dont say anything to them?? They stare at you? Stare right back at them and keep it moving - dont be intimidated by others! I'm overweight and go to the gym and couldnt care less what others think. Its a chain gym (LA Fitness) and from what I see, most people are too busy focusing on their own workouts to pay attention to what I'm doing.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    The problem is your outfit. Go buy some nice lulu lemon yoga pants and a skimpy top to wear to the gym. You'll blend in better and people will be more likely to leave you alone.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess, I'd say the OP is poking gentle fun at Planet Fitness' alleged "judgment free" policies.

Maybe my sarcasm meter has a hair trigger, but it went off for the original post too.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    The problem is your outfit. Go buy some nice lulu lemon yoga pants and a skimpy top to wear to the gym. You'll blend in better and people will be more likely to leave you alone.

I do that already and people just stare. I think I might be too hairy for it.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Better check your Lululemon pants for transparency, man. Don't make girls at the gym blush.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/money/Lululemon-yoga-pants-recalled-for-being-unexpectedly-sheer/-/9848680/19373170/-/14bdxus/-/index.html
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Better check your Lululemon pants for transparency, man. Don't make girls at the gym blush.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/money/Lululemon-yoga-pants-recalled-for-being-unexpectedly-sheer/-/9848680/19373170/-/14bdxus/-/index.html

This ^^

Or they are just jealous.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    obvi troll post and people take it seriously? SMH.

MFP may be helping us with our calories, but not so much with the noggin.
  • sar24
    sar24 Posts: 20
    Options
    I workout at home for a few reason...Time, distractions, and like you, other people.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    obvi troll post and people take it seriously? SMH.

MFP may be helping us with our calories, but not so much with the noggin.

No kidding. Good lord.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Weird....you didn't mention any of this the other day. Did you change gyms? :laugh:
    I go to a pretty exclusive strength gym. It's about $2000 a month, but has some nice amenities, like private showers, tv, couches, etc, personal parking space.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Embrace your inner meat head, lifting is more than just exercise its a way of life, so of course people judge, because the minute you move out of the rubber plates or have enough weight on their to bend the bar people stare and wonder what you are doing... Who CARES .... Do you. Of course don't be the obnoxious guy that yells and huffs for no reason, but if you need to do it to get the results you want they can shove it ... its not your job to cater to everyone else's idea of lifting, its your job to be the best you.
  • justjayce
    justjayce Posts: 11
    Options
    I think you just start throwing up middle fingers! Pardon my french, but f@$% those people! I feel so much worse for the "skinny" people who sit around judging others than the not so skinny people who are just doing their own thing!
  • munkyblew
    munkyblew Posts: 14
    Options
    They have Planet Fitness which bases itself on a judgement free zone...maybe try there?

Meant to add its fairly cheap $10 base price $20 for the black card which gives you tanning, "massages" and the ability to go to any PF gym.

Its definitely a basic gym. No classes, no pool or anything like that. but its a good place to just workout!

I go to planet fitness too!

Thing is, they have that "lunk alarm" thing, sounds like the author of this post's main problem is that people glare at him when he grunts or makes noise with weights, and the lunk alarm will go off every time he does this, compounding his problem! it's designed to keep people from being showoffs and making others uncomfortable, but i also feel like it scares away serious weightlifters, who are not always going to be able to be quiet when they lift :(