Abdominal muscle seperation from pregnancy

Options
I have had three pregnancies, and I have muscle seperation down the center of my abs. Is there anything I can do to help with this, or am I destined to always have this problem?

Replies

• mrsg2006
    mrsg2006 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am just curious.
    How do you know you have this?
    From a dr?
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    If you have that "tent" formation on your stomach when you go to sit up, do more sit-ups.
    I've had three kids and mine diminished.
  • 3girliemomma
    3girliemomma Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    On mine when I do a sit-up you can actually see the indentation of the seperation, it doesn't go up, it goes in....if that makes any sense.
  • sazzydee1
    sazzydee1 Posts: 55
    Options
    You have diastasis recti probably. Please do NOT do sit ups, they can make it worse. After I had my 10lb 15oz baby, I had the muscle separation and had to see a physiotherapist for six weeks and she gave me some exercises to do. She categorically told me not to do sit ups as they exacerbate the problem. Google diastasis recti treatment and I am sure you will find some exercises. It will get better - mine certainly has.
  • 3girliemomma
    Options
    I am just curious.
    How do you know you have this?
    From a dr?

I noticed it and asked about it. Dr. confirmed that this is what the problem is, but didn't really give me any info on what to do to correct it.
  • MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    There are certain abdominal exercises you should avoid if you have a diastasis recti. I had a larger one and avoided traditional movements like situps because I was told it would make it worse. There's a lot of information out there on what to do/not to do. If you google "Check it Before You Wreck it" you'll find some great resources. Mine has FINALLY gotten to the point where it's only one finger wide.
  • 3girliemomma
    Options
    You have diastasis recti probably. Please do NOT do sit ups, they can make it worse. After I had my 10lb 15oz baby, I had the muscle separation and had to see a physiotherapist for six weeks and she gave me some exercises to do. She categorically told me not to do sit ups as they exacerbate the problem. Google diastasis recti treatment and I am sure you will find some exercises. It will get better - mine certainly has.

Thanks, I'll check that out!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Ouch... That sounds like it hurts. I'm glad you went to the proper person for care for that. And glad it helped.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options

This. sit ups and crunches make it WORSE! also no pilates. This is one thing people keep telling me to do...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/141940-vacuum-ab-exercises/
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    This has been a concern of mine for a while as well so thanks for bringing up the topic here. This article is very informative-

http://fitness.stackexchange.com/questions/3738/what-is-the-most-effective-way-to-improve-a-saggy-belly