Running,I think my ankles are breaking! suggestions?

Options
I used to run about 5 miles every single day. I quit for 2 years,and recently started again. I can easily run a mile,and if I really push myself, I can make it 2 miles. However, I have recently ran into a problem. Even if I'm just walking a warm up lap, my ankles start to hurt. At first, it's the front,but,as I start to run, the back hurts more than anything. I went jogging today and tried to power through it. By the time I had completed a mile, the pain in my right ankle was so severe I could barely hobble back to my vehicle,and it felt like my calf muscle was going to explode. This started out of nowhere after I had been running again. I've tried several different stretching techniques, and each time the pain starts sooner and cuts more off of my progress. I have a pretty great pair of running shoes as well, they're not very old. I doubt they have more than 30 miles total logged on them. Any avid runners have any tips or an idea what could be causing this?

Replies

• dhani76
    dhani76 Posts: 9
    Options
    hi....are you running outdoors? if so, you might want to try a treadmill to help you acclimate to running outdoors again. easier on your joints because you just bounce along on a softer surface. currently i am getting back into running but on the road i feel like i am carrying a ton of bricks. i am on the treadmill until my body is in better condition. i hope this helps....:)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    1. Get your iron levels tested. The pain you describe is not unlike what I dealt with a few years ago. Had it tested and found that my iron levels were all but depleted.

2. Check your form. When running, you should not have a heel-to-toe stride. It should be a mid-foot strike (ie - land more toward the balls of your feet instead of on the heel). Make sure you're actually doing that. Your local running stores should have a way to check your form (or can refer you to somewhere that does).

3. Start slowly and work your way back up. You could run 5 miles easily....two years ago. Your body now is not your body from two years ago. Perhaps do the Couch to 5k program to get yourself back into the feeling. Yes, it might be "too easy" at first, but it will build your muscles back up to support the demands of running.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    hi....are you running outdoors? if so, you might want to try a treadmill to help you acclimate to running outdoors again. easier on your joints because you just bounce along on a softer surface. currently i am getting back into running but on the road i feel like i am carrying a ton of bricks. i am on the treadmill until my body is in better condition. i hope this helps....:)

I had never used a treadmill,so I tried that at first, I figured it would be easier since I would already be at the gym. It was actually a lot worse. I felt all cramped up and it made my shins hurt. haha I will use the elliptical or even walk the treadmill for some cardio before a workout though. The track I use is actually made from recycled tires...or something like that...so it's not as harsh. I also tried running at the park. No matter where I go, it still happens, even if I'm just trying to power walk.
  • kckBxer396
    Options
    1. Get your iron levels tested. The pain you describe is not unlike what I dealt with a few years ago. Had it tested and found that my iron levels were all but depleted.

2. Check your form. When running, you should not have a heel-to-toe stride. It should be a mid-foot strike (ie - land more toward the balls of your feet instead of on the heel). Make sure you're actually doing that. Your local running stores should have a way to check your form (or can refer you to somewhere that does).

3. Start slowly and work your way back up. You could run 5 miles easily....two years ago. Your body now is not your body from two years ago. Perhaps do the Couch to 5k program to get yourself back into the feeling. Yes, it might be "too easy" at first, but it will build your muscles back up to support the demands of running.

No testing necessary, I've had terrible iron levels since I was a kid. I'm supposed to take vitamins,but I'm guilty of not doing so. I didn't know it would cause that. I just knew that it made me bruise really easily, especially in my legs,hands,and feet. Also, I definitely run heel to toe...and walk heel to toe. It's just a long standing habit of mine. Thanks for the tips. Guess I should start taking my vitamins. haha
  • kckBxer396
    Options
    Thanks for the help you guys.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Spend the money and get some real running shoes. This will help a whole lot. It'll cost you about $100 give or take, but it's totally worth it,
  • wpgjetsgirl
    Options
    Spend the money and get some real running shoes. This will help a whole lot. It'll cost you about $100 give or take, but it's totally worth it,

I agree with this statement!! Sore ankles and shins is usually a sure sign that you need new/better shoes!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It's called "shin splints". You need to rest long enough to recover (with ice and ibuprofen, if you like). Then, get those shoes checked out. Even if they are new doesn't mean they are right for you. Did you get them at a running store? Did you get fitted or just pick something off the rack?

Finally, you need stronger calves and plenty of rest between runs, and work on your form (one simple thing you can change is how often your feet hit the ground--the smaller/faster your steps, the less impact on each leg). To strengthen calves, do one-legged calf raises or raises with heavy weights.
  • pamuyamakene
    pamuyamakene Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm not a runner but I started working out after many years and began to feel similar ankle aches and they started to swell up a bit. I think it was due to suddenly doing high impact exercises. So I've started wearing ankle support during workouts, and it really help. In my case, it was probably the added weight! Maybe you could try out ankle support and if it doesn't help or the pain persists perhaps get it checked by a doctor. (It could be the tendinitis).
  • kckBxer396
    Options

I own a pair of Saucony shoes. They retailed over $100,but I got them on sale for a little less. I haven't even logged 30 miles in them yet. They're just getting broken in.
  • kckBxer396
    Options
    It's called "shin splints". You need to rest long enough to recover (with ice and ibuprofen, if you like). Then, get those shoes checked out. Even if they are new doesn't mean they are right for you. Did you get them at a running store? Did you get fitted or just pick something off the rack?

Finally, you need stronger calves and plenty of rest between runs, and work on your form (one simple thing you can change is how often your feet hit the ground--the smaller/faster your steps, the less impact on each leg). To strengthen calves, do one-legged calf raises or raises with heavy weights.

I didn't get fitted for them. I'm not sure if there's a place here that does that. Suggestions of retailers that would?