Discourage and want to give up!!

Options

Replies

• stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Just for consideration....Did the weight you lost on WW come back or stay off and you're proceeding from there? Because if it came back, obviously a fast first month weight loss wasn't a sign of ultimate success. Perhaps this time around, 3 pounds in 25 days, IS.
  • Brzazowsky
    Options
    I changed my goals and it increased my calories to 1490. Does that sound about right? This is the first time i have counted calories so I kinda feel like I'm a bit over my head!
  • jenniferlynn1319
    Options
    I know that can be so discouraging and that seems to be why so many people quit before they really get started!! Fist off find an activity you really love...for me it was Zumba. That way it wasn't something that I did just to burn calories...so it really pushed me to work out harder. Now I've started to love running and that is something I set goals for that are not related to weight loss. I do this because when I meet other goals it keeps me motivated even if my weight isn't going how I want it to. With the water weight it does take a little bit for your body to get use to the extra water and stop trying to hold it (but it shouldn't take long) if you keep having the problem maybe your sodium intake is too high causing water retention. Also be careful that your calories are coming mostly from food...drinking calories are an easy way to have them sneak up on you and deter your hard work. Most importantly don't give up!!
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's worth a try! I am just not very patient! I want results NOW! LOL! I know better and know it takes time! I am at 1650 cals and having a hard time getting all that in!
  • Brzazowsky
    Options
    Just for consideration....Did the weight you lost on WW come back or stay off and you're proceeding from there? Because if it came back, obviously a fast first month weight loss wasn't a sign of ultimate success. Perhaps this time around, 3 pounds in 25 days, IS.

When I was doing WW, I got down to 199 and started school and stopped eating like I should and I shot back to 210 quickly! But I was able to stay at 210 for a while and then realized how much I had gained back and just didn't take care of my self like I should have... But you do have a good point!
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have been on my fitness pal for 25 days .... but I have only lost 3 pounds

Let's do some perspective....

7 days = 1 week

3 weeks = 21 days

You've been doing this 25 days....

So in 3 weeks and 4 days you've lost 3 pounds, that is a totally NORMAL rate to lose.

It doesn't happen overnight, you've heard that right? Well it doesn't happen over 2 or 3 or 25 nights either.

You WILL get there. You're on par, don't worry about it. I didn't even notice a HINT of any kind of loss until around 8 or 9 weeks.
  • punkisdead83
    punkisdead83 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Go with what it gives you, but keep in mind you're going to be given calories with every cardio exercise you log. You need to eat those calories back.
  • Brzazowsky
    Options
    I had someone send me a message and she told me how to calculate my BMR and I was 500 calories off from what MFP calculated for me! Does anyone think 1800 calories a day is too high for me?
  • punkisdead83
    punkisdead83 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had someone send me a message and she told me how to calculate my BMR and I was 500 calories off from what MFP calculated for me! Does anyone think 1800 calories a day is too high for me?

Wont really know till you try it, everybody's different.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Definitely be mindful of what you are eating. Cutting calories and being at a caloric deficit is definitely going to lead to weight loss. But that doesn't mean "fat" loss. So do the simple things first. Get used to drinking water constantly. Avoid processed foods as much as you can, or "fake" foods. Cut out the empty calories like soda and french fries and potato chips. Eat nutrient dense foods. I'm not saying you have to eat super healthy. But just common sense stuff. Don't get discouraged and don't think about giving up. Keep at it. You're bound to get it going.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    UP YOUR CALORIES AND VARY THEM DAILY!! AND PLEASE DONT DIET
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Sounds about right to me. I am 5'8" 177lb and I lose weight if I stay between 1600 and 1800 calories a day.
  • Brzazowsky
    Brzazowsky Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • klondike12
    klondike12 Posts: 1
    Options
    Do not give up. I have been going to the gym 3 to 4 days a week since January and have only lost 5 pounds. I have changed the way I eat less carbs and sweets more fruit and veggies. What I have noticed is my clothes are fitting better. I no longer have to suck my stomach into my back bone to do my pants up. Give it time, your body is toning the weight loss will happen. Just remember to do strength training along with cardio.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options

Sounds much more reasonable, especially with the exercise you are doing. I would strive for landing in the 1800-1900 range everyday.
  • rde8jr
    rde8jr Posts: 34
    Options
    I am 5'10 223.6 24 years old and Not sure on the BMI!

My calorie goal set by MFP is 1310 I believe.

Are you going over or under on the calorie goal? Also please remember that MUSCLE weights for than fat. Very important factor when one begins to workout. So sometimes you may actually gain in the begining. The good news behind that is that muscles help to burn fat so when you do start to lose it comes off faster. Keep you head up and I love this site but there is another that helped me to focus more on WHAT those calories consisted of. Where this site doesn't break it down as far. You can try typing your food intake in to the other site for a week or so to see if you are getting to many sugars, carbs, protien, pottasium and all the different essentials that it will let you know where you may be off. The name of the site is calorie count about.

Keep up the hard work it will start to pay off. ALWAYS remember you didn't gain it in 25 days so it isn't going away in 25 either. :)
  • rde8jr
    rde8jr Posts: 34
    Options

BMI
    Normal Range: 130 - 174 lbs

You have a BMR of 3180.65

I come up with 1590.32 being your calorie intake goal. But again try the calorie count about so you can see how much you are supposed to take in for the different types such as sugars, pottasium, fats, protien, carbs, it tells you what your daily goals should be in all those areas. It may be annoying to track on both sites but if you do it for a couple weeks you will get the hang of good for you vs. bad for you. It worked for me. God bless and good luck. Down 19 lbs in 4 months here.
  • shonda28
    shonda28 Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't give up! Have you ever taken a look at how much protien you are eating a day. I have heard a lot of people in the gym saying that they didn't start really losing weigh until they incorporated more protein in their diet.
  • bstyson
    bstyson Posts: 1
    Options
    Are you eating too many carbs? Your fitness routine, what does it consist of? Also, measurements are a true way to see results. I have lost inches and my clothes aren't falling off me but I can feel a difference in my overall health.
  • madmax0412
    madmax0412 Posts: 65
    Options
    As hard as it is to do, try to adjust your mindset to progress in months, not days or weeks. Take each day at a time, but realize that this will be long journey if it is to be done the right way. If you go a full month and haven't lost a pound, then think about adjusting your approach, but realize that weight loss is not linear. Focus on the process. Start Insanity and focus on how much stronger you are getting as a person!

This is great advice!

Just don't get too discouraged. Take comfort in the fact that you're tracking what you eat and being more active. The body is so amazing at putting up a resistance to change -- it may take a while but as this new fitness regime becomes a longer and longer term thing the weight losses will come. I'd focus on the NSVs as they call it around here. Just think about how much better you feel simply by the fact that you're doing SOMETHING rather than nothing.

:happy: