Cleases/Detoxes

Options
Anyone have any good thoughts and or recommendations about cleasing? Wanting to detox before I really get into my new nutrition and exercise routine. Thanks!

Replies

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Waste of time and in some cases money. Just start doing your lifestyle changes.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good thoughts and or recommendations about cleasing? Wanting to detox before I really get into my new nutrition and exercise routine. Thanks!

they can totally jumpstart you into a new lifestyle, just make sure you don't go overboard. they don't serve any purpose beyond what eating a "clean" diet would do for you, but for many folks a cleanse is easier to jump into than immediately eating 80-90% clean, but while you're on the cleanse (well, really by the end of it) you'll feel really damn great, and you'll want to keep that feeling, which may help keep you motivated to eat well.

but there's a gradient. there are useful short, non-ridiculous cleanses where you still eat real food, and there are terrible, month long juice fasts that are anything but healthy. just do your research, and choose something short and sweet that doesn't sound completely terrible to do. the longest "cleanse" i've ever done was three days and I still ate about 1000 cal/day. you don't need to go crazier than that.
  • jlpurvis
    jlpurvis Posts: 1
    Options
    I've done the advocare cleanse and I loved it!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Yes, evolution has given you kidneys. These cleanse/detox you. Unless they are malfunctioning, I would trust to these biological miracles if I were you.......
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Yes, evolution has given you kidneys. These cleanse/detox you. Unless they are malfunctioning, I would trust to these biological miracles if I were you.......

QFT
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Whatever you hear about the benefits of cleansing or detoxing is a sales pitch not science. The only thing likely to be cleaned out is your wallet
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Cleanses and detoxes are not necessary. If you eat properly your digestive system and kidneys will do their job.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Whatever you hear about the benefits of cleansing or detoxing is a sales pitch not science. The only thing likely to be cleaned out is your wallet
    psychological benefits are science. :)

and it does have physiological benefits as well, just not any more than eating "clean" would.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    psychological benefits are science. :)

and it does have physiological benefits as well, just not any more than eating "clean" would.

Psychology is not a science......
  • nnm1976
    nnm1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Fasting/ cleansing/ detox although new to this part of the world is something that is practiced around the world for many reasons (mostly religious) and all the time, it's generally a discipline. I'm not opposed to cleansing/ detox and I've done everything from the Lemonade (extreme cleansing) to Clean diets (light cleansing) for various reasons (mostly to purge my body of any excess toxins and too give it a "break" especially when I've eaten too many processed foods) and I have to say I've never felt better, but I've never done them to lose weight, I feel like if you're goal is to lose weight then your best bet is diet and exercise because cleansing will only rid your body of water weight and the second you start to incorporate food into your lifestyle you will gain it right back. My advice is to limit your processed foods intake, sugars and try to eat organic as often as possible to jump start your diet. You will see better, long term results then you would cleansing for a couple of days and feel as good as you would from fasting. Hope this helps!
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's not really a cleanse, but I used the Scarsdale diet for 2 weeks to jumpstart my weight loss. I loved it. It was easy to follow and I lost 8 pounds in the first week. Yes, most of that was water weight, but seeing the scale actually move has helped me stay motivated in the following weeks. After my 2 weeks on Scarsdale, I continued to follow the example of the diet, but I relaxed the rules a bit.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Buh?? It's one of the social sciences.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Ok, it's loosely a science! Depends on how you do it though......
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Cleases.....

/giggle
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I would say just skip the cleanse and just start eating a healthy balanced diet, drinking water, and exercising regularly.

That has both physiological and psychological benefits as well.
  • camperchick64
    camperchick64 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've done Jay Robb's 3 day fruit flush - its very light and you drink lots of water and eat healthy - basically it helps you to cut down on the processed foods cravings when you are done.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Ok, it's loosely a science! Depends on how you do it though......

Yeah, but it's not a "science" like he's trying to infer it to be.
  • slrea2012
    slrea2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Excellent question and answers... I was wondering the EXACT same thing.
    I think I'll pass on the detox/cleanse/juice fast and stick to as much raw/organic I can afford.

I have heard that consuming Chia seeds and aloe are good for removing toxins in your colon. Any thoughts?