Scale changes but mirror doesn't?

Options
The scale keeps going down, but honestly I don't see any change when I look in the mirror. Does this happen with anyone else?

Replies

• creampuff2120
    Options
    This happens to me. I really don't notice a change until I put on pants I never could before or buy new clothes in smaller sizes. Don't worry I'm sure your looking great :smile:
  • LegendaryPeanut
    Options
    You slowly get used to seeing your new self. Try looking at old and recent pictures of yourself if you want to see differences.
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    That's because we look in the mirror every day and don't pick up on the minute changes!
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice a big difference until I lost like 30 lbs. Saw it in my face and chin then, but not in the "rest" of me. But others started noticing about that time as well.

You'll see a difference soon =)
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I can't see it but my bf wont leave me alone so I'm guessing it's working
  • LadyRhodes01
    LadyRhodes01 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Trying on smaller clothes is the key. Also, that's why it's important to take before and after pics. Even if they're just saved on your phone, so you alone can see the difference. Since you are your biggest critic. Progress is sometimes difficult for us to see, since of course we are our biggest critics. That's amazing you've lost close to 20 lbs and haven't seen a difference? That's a huge accomplishment. Get to snapping on your camera phone.
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I agree with looking at old pictures of yourself! It really does put it into perspective. And smaller clothes.

If you've taken measurements in the past, re-measure. You might find you're surprised by the difference. I know I was :happy:

:flowerforyou:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    The scale keeps going down, but honestly I don't see any change when I look in the mirror. Does this happen with anyone else?

This is when pictures can show changes. Front back and side profile. I found that most changes you will see from the rear view. Everyone is different. Sometimes the pictures can show changes that you don't see in the scale.

It's nice to have the scale, circumference measurements, and front, back, and side photos and track all of these with dates.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Definitely clothes, I can't see a difference at all, but this morning I tried on a pair of trousers that I haven't worn since I was last at this weight (about 7 years ago) and voilá! They fit!!! :-)
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I can only see minor changes in my size but I don't really see much either. Like others have said, take pics of your progress. 1 piece of advice I will definitely take at this point. And yea clothes... Getting dressed as usual and something feels......kind of baggy? You're losing weight!
  • Cibindabee
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds and I don't see the difference either. My face went from round to oval. I think I will take front, back and side profile shots. Congratulations on your weight lost.
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. I have lost 10 pounds and every time I look at myself I can't see it and think the scale is lying to me. Buy smaller clothes and you will see the difference and also take pictures. I am pretty sure once you do this you will see the difference.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I used to get furious with the scale, until I saw the differnce in my clothes, & start using the same scale. My weight went up & down.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

And this is why we need a "love" button. :)
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I know with me, I am losing evenly from waist, hips, butt so I look the same ratio wise. I am smaller, but it less obvious compared to if I lost 1 inch from my waist and 2 inches from my hips. I am okay with this though as it keeps me hour-glassed shaped.
  • JewelSmith
    JewelSmith Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You slowly get used to seeing your new self. Try looking at old and recent pictures of yourself if you want to see differences.

I agree with this..I hardly see changes in the mirror, but I host career expos once a month and each month the photos have told the story. Keep it up, I am sure it is working..!
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

I felt like that when I lost 60 lbs last time. I felt like I still looked the same as I did 60 lbs heavier. My body shape was the same. I don't want to be a skinner version of the fat me. I want a nice body. I was exercising with walking a little with weights. It was very discouraging. This time i will up the exercising a lot and see if I see the body changes I would like.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

lol, that would be a sign it is working.
  • andres4317
    andres4317 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For awhile I only saw the difference in the bagginess of my clothes; things that were uncomfortably snug were now loose. However, the mirror thing was holding true for me too. After three months using MFP I compared pictures of myself before MFP and at 39 pounds lost. Talk about a "WOW" moment! I know results vary but try a before and after pic. I wish I would have had the forethought to do that every 10 pounds---weightloss is a journey and with ups and downs and progress, no matter how small should be celebrated!

Good luck in your journey!
  • FitCitrus
    FitCitrus Posts: 15
    Options
    I have that issue as well. You are not alone! I only notice a little bit of a difference in some clothes that I wear. My friends have acknowledged my weight loss, too. I feel like I'm just going to be forever chunky but athletic :)