Chewing Gum?

Options
Just wondered what everyones opinion is on chewing gum? It seems to take the edge off the hunger for me, but then I get stomach ache after a while......

Replies

• Brenda4105
    Brenda4105 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I pop gum in my mouth every time I want to eat and know that I am not hungry. I haven't gotten the stomach ache thing, but I end up biting the inside of my mouth a lot.
  • paige_eloise
    paige_eloise Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    LOVE gum, chew it every day. Although, I do get jaw ache every now and again.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    when you chew you are infact telling you tummy it is going to get feed, so it starts produces stomach acid,

the acid is now sitting there waiting for food that never comes or not for a while any way

personally I would want acid sitting in my stomach for to long, if it not breaking down food what is it breaking down
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    My first thought is why are you hungry? And if your hungry, you should eat. But, to answer your question, if it helps, chew it. Just log the calories.
  • lorilwayne2
    lorilwayne2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use gum sometimes but it is more of a situation when I want to chew on something but know I shouldn't be hungry but I just want to have something in my mouth.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I was told once the act of chewing the gum probably burns the calories, but for me, the sugarless gum, if I chew it too much makes my tummy feel "off". I actually saw a medical show where a guy was complaining of stomach issues and the TV doctor noticed him popping gum a couple of times during their visit. He told him although he was doing it help lose weight (among other non-sugar items) it was upsetting his stomach because of the non-sugar sweetener added....just stop and the symptoms would too. I googled it, saw it happens a lot and I did see a big improvement in the stomach issues for me when I went cold turkey for a while.

I still chew gum on occasion but don't chew a lot of sugarless, rinse my mouth to cut the sugar/brush and, drink a lot of water.. It still helps those moments when my brain is saying "Stop at Dunkin : )