No calorie count for Weight Training?

Options
So MFP doesn't give an approx calori burn when you enter in weight training? Is that right?

Thanks!

Replies

• manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    There's a strength training option under cardio that will give you some calories burned. But, ST is different from cardio, it doesn't burn as many calories, but the benefits come after, while your body is repairing.
  • ThatDamnRobyn
    ThatDamnRobyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is probably totally inaccurate, but I enter mine as cardio and put in the info from my heart rate monitor. It's not very many calories, and I don't really expect it to be. I haven't really found a good way to do it, especially since I do ChaLEAN Extreme DVDs and not standard singular weight training exercises at the gym.
  • beckademic
    beckademic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i have been logging my strength training under cardio, but I use an HRM when I'm doing it.
  • Mommylicous
    Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This is probably totally inaccurate, but I enter mine as cardio and put in the info from my heart rate monitor. It's not very many calories, and I don't really expect it to be. I haven't really found a good way to do it, especially since I do ChaLEAN Extreme DVDs and not standard singular weight training exercises at the gym.

This. It's what I do.

I figured a calorie burn reading via heart rate monitor, it wouldn't matter if it was really cardio or weight training. Tis calories burned!
  • beckademic
    beckademic Posts: 69 Member
    Options

well, i'm glad i'm not the only one that does this. ha!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I use the strength training option under cardio, but I usually put 10-15 minutes less than the amount of time I actually worked out. I feel like the calorie estimate is a bit high, so if I drop 10-15 minutes off the total time I feel like it's more accurate. But it's really all just a guessing game. I don't have a HRM so I can't use that.
  • Trista87Marie
    Trista87Marie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I sweat my *kitten* off when I am doing strength training. And I def feel like my heart rate is up, sometimes even more then when I am doing cardio. So I count it based on my HRM and also log reps and such just so I can see my progression.
  • ObjectInMotion
    Options
    My weight training is more of a circuit and there's a "circuit training" under cardio that I use all the time.
  • bdoug1234
    bdoug1234 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have played around with the exercise section on strength training. I have not had much success. Best you can do is an average heart rate over the time you are training and find an online calculator to get the approximate calories.

I usually use around 300 calories for my warm up and 50 minutes of lifting. I take little time between sets and usually do one warm up set for each new exercise.

Lots of people at the gym take 3-5 minutes between sets an barely every get a sweat on.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You can enter in specific weight exercises, like bar bell pullover, biceps curls, etc individually if you really want to. You can see what's listed using the Exercise Database feature. But rather than enter a whole bunch of individual ones, I just use the "Strength Training (weight lifting, weight training)" entry.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I forgot to wear my HRM this morning. I know it won't burn heaps at that time (understand the longer term benefits of lifting) but am making a conscious effort to eat some of my exercise calories.

I do circuit training (weights and cardio) on the weekends and use tat option under Cardio but this was purely strength. I was very happy that I did 40 push ups on my toes :D

PS total gloating here, profile pic is me this morning after lifting. Not bad for a 35 year old with a 3 year old child ;)