I want to try to get into running

Options
Any tips for beginners? Nervous to start, don't want people staring at me lol, If you were nervous when you first started, how did you overcome it?

Replies

• missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I was/am a beginner. My advice? If you are a member at a gym, start running there first. The main reason is because the treadmill can better take the impact of weight (I'm not sure what your statistics are, but if you are carrying a bit of extra timber and haven't run before, it can be very painful!) and also, it's quite inspiration to see you levelling up and levelling down.

If you are not a member of a gym, I would first invest in some really, really good running shoes. I've seen so many people running around my village with canvas shoes or boating shoes and then complaining of shin splints because their feet are not supported properly. This is really important because shin splints are a) bl**dy painful and b) take a while to heal properly.

There is much debate about warming up before a run, but definitely warm "down" as such. There are lots of threads on here about good muscle techniques.

I think a good place to start off for both beginners and for fat busting is interval training, so something like C25K. It's basically a plan that gets you running from the couch to 5K in 9 (I think?) weeks. It has you starting off with running for 60 seconds and walking at brisk pace for 90 seconds x 8. You can download app's for your smartphone if you have one, or download podcasts for iPods/mp3 players. I know loads of people who have successfully done this and go on to run 10K's and half marathons from doing nothing a year (or less) beforehand.

I know they say "No Pain, No Gain" but genuinely, if you feel really in pain during it, stop, otherwise you'll do yourself more damage. I'm a fan of strength training, so I'm working on that to get my muscles ready for full running in the future.

Don't be afraid of running - at the end of the day, you are trying to improve your health - it doesn't matter what other people think, only what you want to achieve :) xxx
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Running is like drug use. At first you start slow and do a little bit. You feel good afterwards. The next time you do a little more and feel great. Over time you do more and more. You start to loose weight and are looking really good. Then you start to get to thin and people question you about it. You make up excuses, like its just something I'm going though I'm fine. Then you start to need it. You can live with out for a day. You begin to miss parties and dinners. You're rail thin and smell bad all the time. Your joins ache and your feet are deformed. You see old pictures of yourself and wonder what happened. In the end you lost a lot. So be careful and know when to stop if you do try it.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Getting started is always the hard part. Try short distances. When you get comfortable with that, go further, push yourself a little more. As far as how you look or what others may think of you...who gives a ****e. I look like an child running away from the boogie man when I run, but at least I'm out there doing my thing and you will feel amazing afterwards. Don't talk about it...go out there and do it...you will fall in love with it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    1. Get the Couch to 5K app. It's a great way to get started.
    2. Get fitted for running shoes at a running specialty store.
    3. Don't worry about people staring at you. 90% of people don't care and the other 10% don't matter.
    4. Sign up for a race a few months out. It's great to have a goal to work towards.
    5. HAVE FUN!
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Running is like drug use. At first you start slow and do a little bit. You feel good afterwards. The next time you do a little more and feel great. Over time you do more and more. You start to loose weight and are looking really good. Then you start to get to thin and people question you about it. You make up excuses, like its just something I'm going though I'm fine. Then you start to need it. You can live with out for a day. You begin to miss parties and dinners. You're rail thin and smell bad all the time. Your joins ache and your feet are deformed. You see old pictures of yourself and wonder what happened. In the end you lost a lot. So be careful and know when to stop if you do try it.

Oh my I hope this was meant to be funny because it cracked me up.....short answer is a C25k app. I started out walking, you get stronger and perhaps less patient as you realize you can get it done quicker and burn more calories if you pick up the pace :) It happens before you know it. I just stated an android app called Run Double and just finished week 1. It's an easy way to "ease" into running starting from an interval of run/walk :)
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    1. Take care of your feet. Get fitted for shoes and wear good socks!
    2. Couch to 5K training eased me into running.
    3. Don't worry about others. They are not watching you!
    4. The treadmill was easier on my knees but school tracks are good places to run as well.
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Oh my I hope this was meant to be funny because it cracked me up.....short answer is a C25k app. I started out walking, you get stronger and perhaps less patient as you realize you can get it done quicker and burn more calories if you pick up the pace :) It happens before you know it. I just stated an android app called Run Double and just finished week 1. It's an easy way to "ease" into running starting from an interval of run/walk :)

Yes it was. I got bored at work.
  • AFaris2262
    AFaris2262 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I JUST got back in the house after my first C25K Day. Lots of people recommended it to me. It was definitely better than I had imagined.

I always said I wasn't a runner....I would rather do aerobics, sports, ANYTHING other than just running. But I don't live close enough to a gym to hold myself accountable and the weather has gotten too nice to keep doing workouts on videos and on gaming units (I have a Wii). I started about 2 weeks ago, just going on walks. I have a couple routes I would take and I would try to do them a little quicker every time. Eventually I didn't feel like I was getting to my target heart rate.

I am loading up my phone with good music because I can listen to it while I run. The nice lady politely interrupts the song when you need to change from running to walking. Just 3 days this week...We'll see how it goes.

GOOD LUCK!! Feel free to add me, if you need an encouragement pal. I know I will need some of those along the way.