Weigh In

Options
I weigh in daily -- as I am obsessed with it. At times, though, it is hard as I know there are differences due to water weight, etc. Should I (and what are the benefits of) only weighing in once a week?

Replies

• DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think everyone will check their scales more often than once a week, but I don't recommend it because you can get discouraged if you see your weight fluctuate like it can over a couple of days. Check as often as you like, but only really go by (and log) your weekly number which should be done on the same day, same time and in same situation.
  • LittlePam
    LittlePam Posts: 40
    Options
    In my personal experiences I tend to weigh in too much. I would like to do it only once a week because the fluctuations can be a mind game. Today I got on the scale and weighed a pound more then yesterday. Now I know that is not possible but yet I did. It was a bit discouraging. I think if we only did it once a week it would show the big picture.

Pam
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Once a week, once a week - just like DaveyGravey says
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Once a week and at the same time of day. That way you're not all over the scale. One day you lose 5lbs. and the next day you gain 7 lbs. and get mad. Weight loss is a long journey and it will take months to get there, so looking back at how far you go daily makes the journey on how far you need to go seem that much farther. Good luck to you!
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I weigh in several times a day. I just prefer it that way. You need to be able to deal mentally with the fact that your body weight will fluctuate from hour to hour and from day to day. Some people find that to be too demoralizing and too stressful, and those people should probably weight themselves less frequently.

Personally, I like knowing where I'm currently at. It allows me to see what effect my diet and exercise are having on my body in real time. After awhile, you develop a sense of where your weight really is over-all, and where it's trending.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I weigh myself most every day - but I only log it once it a week. You can drive yourself nuts because of the fluctuations from day to day - but it's a little easier when you know only the weekly weigh ins "count".
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I weigh officially Friday & Monday but I may check (like I did this morning) in the middle of the week just to see where I'm at. This morning it was beneficial because I saw I'm up one pound of water weight and know that if I keep eating right and drinking lots of water, I may see a loss on Friday! (didn't last week because of water).
  • susandersons06
    Options
    I agree~once a week~ even then make sure you weigh at the same time of day~preferably 1st thing in the morning~before eating & chugging the water. :drinker: I weighed One day in the afternoon & next day in the morning and had lost 2 lbs :noway: ?? No way~ needless to say I didn't log that one:laugh: :laugh: ~ thought I would be disappointed if the next weigh in was back up a lb or two.:cry: We can do this!! right?!?!?
  • Tammysjourney
    Options
    I agree, weighing in everyday and it shows your ups and downs does nothing but drive me crazy. I made a vow not to weigh in everyday anymore, but only once a week. It's very discouraging.

arielle - how do you know its water weight? I noticed this morning when i weighed in i had gained 1 lbs since monday too. (a big reason I'm not weighing in but once a week from now on)

cmw - way to go on the weight loss, very impressive. It's so uplifting and encouraging when I see those numbers.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily -- as I am obsessed with it. At times, though, it is hard as I know there are differences due to water weight, etc. Should I (and what are the benefits of) only weighing in once a week?

The benefits are missing those fluctuations that naturally occur daily.

Picture this, you weigh yourself once per day and for a week your weight fluctuated something like this:
    Mon down 1lb, Tues level, Wed down 1lb, Thurs up 2lb, Fri level, Sat down 1lb, Sun level

You would be happy by Wednesday - wow down 2lb! however, by the time the fluctuations are over and done with by the end of the week you have not lost the 2lb you saw by the Wednesday, but in actual fact, it now looks like you have gone UP a pound - dang, your diet isn't working, is it all worth it, what do you do, how do you ensure you lose weight etc etc etc, comfort eat, guilt, depression, give up......

However, weigh yourself once per week and it would be like this

Mon - weigh in, the next Mon 1lb down! - excellent you think, I am losing weight, yay it is working, I am going to continue and lose this excess! However, your weight loss is exactly the same!

Do you see what I mean though? Weighing yourself everyday you will see every tiny little fluctuation and it doesn't bear thinking about when your weight loss naturally starts to slow down either!

Make sure you measure yourself too, as sometimes measurements come down but weight remains static for that week.

:wink:
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Okay so here's a quick question.. If you're weighing yourself once a week (which we almost all admit we hop on the scale more than that) and you've noticed that this week you gained a pound.. do you log that on here or just skip the log (I know it may be cheating but I admit I have done it!) Just curious how many people put that they've gained an additional pound?
  • Tahina
    Tahina Posts: 2
    Options
    You should weigh in when you feel like it. I like to check daily to motivate myself to keep on track. Even if I go up a couple of pounds a day. It lets me know that today I shouldn't sneak that doughnut or finish my children's lunch. I just try not to dwell on it. Move on and make today a better day. Do that extra work out to make up. Just feel good in your own skin.
  • Herewego
    Herewego Posts: 49
    Options
    I have always been obsessed with th scale and I think this is one (amongs many) reason so many people ar failing with their diet (you get discouraged easily).
    I cannot weight only once a week so since I started MFP I have decided to weight twice: on Monday (which is my start of the wek diet wise) and on Thursday. Why Thursday because that is when things normally start to go wrong with a few drink with friend on Friday, big lunch Saturday and Sunday, Party on Friday night......
    So on Thursday morning I weight and if I have lost a bit (like this morning -1lb) this is my motivation for controling my eating/drinking during the week end and try not to put back what I have lost during the week and hopefully lose a little bit more!

HWG :happy:
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in once a week - and this is ALWAYS the case. The few times I have been tempted to weigh myself more often I have only ended up upsetting myself by showing no loss (or even a gain!) so that's motivation enough for me not to be tempted.

However, I'm not as religious as some people as to the day of my weigh in. Originally - I started with my weigh in's Saturday morning, but now if I'm honest I weigh either Thurs, Fri or Sat morning - depending on my work and personal schedule (and depending on plans for the end of the week...when you tend to eat out more!! At least then if you have a good weigh in, there's motivation to be good when you go out...or if not, a week to drop it off again!)

But do whatever works for you...as long as you're consistent with your weigh ins, you'll be fine! :happy:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Okay so here's a quick question.. If you're weighing yourself once a week (which we almost all admit we hop on the scale more than that) and you've noticed that this week you gained a pound.. do you log that on here or just skip the log (I know it may be cheating but I admit I have done it!) Just curious how many people put that they've gained an additional pound?

I don't think it will say on your profile "blah has put on one pound since their last weigh-in!" :laugh:

Seriously, the other week, my weight didn't shift it was exactly the same as the week before, I input it into my weigh in tab, but when I went to my profile, it didn't mention anything and that was just for staying stable, so putting weight on, nobody would be any the wiser. Not sure about the ticker though to be honest, interesting point!
  • CollegeGirl2
    Options
    I would definitely recommend weighing in only once a week, or at least no more than twice. Body weight can fluctuate by up to four pounds/day, so day to day your weight can vary quite a bit. It's better to weigh in less, and that way you can watch for patterns over a longer period of time, which will reflect your weight loss/gain better than if you were to weigh in everyday. Plus, it's kind of a motivator. If you can only weigh in once, you don't want to mess up that number you're going to see by eating that pizza or having that extra slice of bread...otherwise it's a whole week until you get to see it back to normal! I also think it takes a little of the stress off of weight loss. I'm part of a group that weighs in on Wednesdays...check us out and feel free to join! We offer each other support and remind each other to stay off that scale!