Day 5 of Drastic Calorie Reduction Diet and NO RESULTS!

Options
Hi,
I am on my 5th day of a drastic calorie reduction diet and haven't seen any results ... None! Just to give you some background, I am 31 year old female. I weigh 150 and I am 5'10". I carry all of my weight in my midsection. In the last three years I've gradually seen the scale creeping up with a weight gain of approximately 15 pounds. I have finally decided to do something about it.

Previously, I was eating a lot of proceseed food and not making wise decisions. Many days the menu was low in fat, but really high in empty calories. I would generally skip breakfast all together with the exception of my Venti Skinny Caramel Machhiato. I know loaded with empty calories! Lunch was whatever was close to the office and quick, usually take out sushi. Multiple cups of coffee throughout the day with flavored fatfree creamer or more Starbucks or Diet Dr Pepper. Dinner well while cooking my husband and I would slice up sharp white chedder, asiago and manchego cheese with triscuts and then finish with a large portion of pasta and wine, ok I will be honest a bottle of wine. That's a separate issue all together. NO WONDER I GAINED WEIGHT. Much easier to see now typing it all out. I never consumed water never and I usually had about 4 diet sodas a day.

In the last five days I have been extremely dilligent tracking all of my food and making much healthier decisions. I have been drinking atleast a 2 liter of water and usually more than that. I have not had any alcohol or any soda.

For breakfast I usually have 2 cups of coffee with fat free organic milk, one large egg and 'Healthy Life' light multigrain english muffin and 1 tblspoon of pace chunky salsa. Lunch I have 1/2 cup of fatfree cottage cheese and 5 cherry tomatoes OR I will have a fresh spring mix salad with one stalk of celery, 5 mushrooms, 5 cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, 1/8 of an avocado, brocco sprouts and a can of albacore solid white tuna in water - no dressing. Snack I have a Gala apple if hungry - many days I don't feel I need a snack. Dinner I have 4 oz of boneless skinless chicken tenderlion cooked in PAM and seasoned with Italian seasoning, 2/3 cup of Nasoya Pasta Zero Plus, mushrooms, onions and brussel sprouts cooked in skillet with PAM spray a pinch of salt, lots of cracked pepper and italian seasoning. According to my tracker I am consuming approximately 700-900 calories a day.

I usually use the stationary rower for 30 to 60 minutes a day alternating 5 days a week. I walk about 2 miles a day, but at a casual pace.

My husband is dropping weight just by getting out of the bed, but the scale has stayed the same for me. Why is this?

Thank you so much for any responses! This is my first post and I apologize for the length I just wanted to provide as much detail as possible.

Replies

• heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    just give it a few weeks, 5 days is NOTHING in the weight loss world lol!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You're not netting 700 to 900 calories if you're exercising. The calories you're burning are lowering that. I'd suggest figuring your BMR and TDEE then eat between them. Your body needs fuel to function and continuing to eat so little will hurt you in the long run.
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    5 days is really not a realistic time in which to look for results. What works is the looooooooooooooooooooooong haul. I am happy with losing 1/2 a pound a week. It's staying off!
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism will slow to support life at that level of calories. If you want to stoke the fire, eat your BMR PLUS to NET at least 1200. At your height you will likely need much more. You might gain a few over a few weeks but then will drop. Look up a BMR and TDEE calculator after searching the forums to truly understand these term and how they figure into losing weight.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, 5 days is nothing, and if you did drop dramatically it is likely to be water weight anyway

What does MFP give you in calories for your desired weight loss? I suggest you use that, eat sensibly and do not panic if nothing happens, it often does not, then it does in the end
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    you are eating far too little, your body is starving and hanging onto every calorie of fuel for dear life. Change it to 1500-1700 calories a day and you'll see progress.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    152-173 That is the range if you are large boned. You already weigh less than that. It is really hard to lose weight if you are already at your ideal weight or less. This is something you really should see a nutritionist about maybe a dietitian about to access your health situation.
  • totalbloat08
    totalbloat08 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. I really appreciate it and I apologize if I irritated anyone. I have read a lot of mixed information regarding metabolism slowing down and the body going into "starvation mode". My husband isn't working out and he is dropping weight every day and the scale is at the same number for me. So, I just wanted to see if others thought I should give it more time OR if I should up the calories. Once again, thank you for the response!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    As a few people have already commented, figure out your BMR and TDEE. Get an accurate count of what you are burning and eat for a sensible deficit according to your personal goals. Be patient, be consistent. If you search these forums you'll see a lot of people who have no luck with eating so little, generally an average daily deficit of 500 calories for the loss of a lb a week is realistic and sustainable. With exercise calculated in, you should have a nice calorie allowance. No need to go hungry or deprive yourself. Good luck in your journey!
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Time to lift some weights, dude. Sounds like you want to reshape your body, rather than need to lose weight. Eat more and lift heavy things!
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    The only 2 major flaws in your cunning plan are a) you are eating ridiculously too few calories (you need to net your BMR at least) and b) your expectation of results in a short space of time.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Five days is not enough time to see results.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're trying to achieve results too quickly. You don't have a huge amount of weight that you are wanting to lose, so keep making sensible choices of what to eat, but eat a suitable quantity. I would up the fruit to 2 pieces a day, btw. I understand the desire for 'overnight' results but it simply isn't realistic.

Quick weight loss coming from a very low calorie diet should only really be done by obese-morbidly obese and be monitored by a health professional. Often prescribed for people needing surgery etc. It does not sound like you fit into this category.

Make your food choices about being healthy and not necessarily about the scale number - that will take care of itself in time.

Best wishes :)
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    three things:

1. LOL @ a 5 day sample size, show some damn patience otherwise you will fail

2. LOL @ people claiming starvation mode has already set in

3. Don't do a gimmick diet. Use a reasonable daily deficit.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    700-900 calories is not enough. You are eating too few calories which can also slow weight loss. Also I find the scale doesn;t really move unless I exercise as well as watch what I eat.
    Hi,
    I am on my 5th day of a drastic calorie reduction diet and haven't seen any results ... None! Just to give you some background, I am 31 year old female. I weigh 150 and I am 5'10". I carry all of my weight in my midsection. In the last three years I've gradually seen the scale creeping up with a weight gain of approximately 15 pounds. I have finally decided to do something about it.

Previously, I was eating a lot of proceseed food and not making wise decisions. Many days the menu was low in fat, but really high in empty calories. I would generally skip breakfast all together with the exception of my Venti Skinny Caramel Machhiato. I know loaded with empty calories! Lunch was whatever was close to the office and quick, usually take out sushi. Multiple cups of coffee throughout the day with flavored fatfree creamer or more Starbucks or Diet Dr Pepper. Dinner well while cooking my husband and I would slice up sharp white chedder, asiago and manchego cheese with triscuts and then finish with a large portion of pasta and wine, ok I will be honest a bottle of wine. That's a separate issue all together. NO WONDER I GAINED WEIGHT. Much easier to see now typing it all out. I never consumed water never and I usually had about 4 diet sodas a day.

In the last five days I have been extremely dilligent tracking all of my food and making much healthier decisions. I have been drinking atleast a 2 liter of water and usually more than that. I have not had any alcohol or any soda.

For breakfast I usually have 2 cups of coffee with fat free organic milk, one large egg and 'Healthy Life' light multigrain english muffin and 1 tblspoon of pace chunky salsa. Lunch I have 1/2 cup of fatfree cottage cheese and 5 cherry tomatoes OR I will have a fresh spring mix salad with one stalk of celery, 5 mushrooms, 5 cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, 1/8 of an avocado, brocco sprouts and a can of albacore solid white tuna in water - no dressing. Snack I have a Gala apple if hungry - many days I don't feel I need a snack. Dinner I have 4 oz of boneless skinless chicken tenderlion cooked in PAM and seasoned with Italian seasoning, 2/3 cup of Nasoya Pasta Zero Plus, mushrooms, onions and brussel sprouts cooked in skillet with PAM spray a pinch of salt, lots of cracked pepper and italian seasoning. According to my tracker I am consuming approximately 700-900 calories a day.

I usually use the stationary rower for 30 to 60 minutes a day alternating 5 days a week. I walk about 2 miles a day, but at a casual pace.

My husband is dropping weight just by getting out of the bed, but the scale has stayed the same for me. Why is this?

Thank you so much for any responses! This is my first post and I apologize for the length I just wanted to provide as much detail as possible.
  • hadiolar
    hadiolar Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's too soon to see any result. I came back to MFPand was keeping track of what I ate just a few days back but i'd say i started putting more effort into doing some exercise since the 15th of April 2013...

I started the 30day shred (day 9 completed today), walked for at least an hour each day and was working my self off...I didnt find any weight loss instead my weight went up on the scale! Luckily it's coming down now and this is the 16th day and I have just seen a drop on the scales...Just enjoy your new way of life and before you know it you will start seeing results. All the best.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Also, what you ate before does not sound all that bad. Pasta, cheese, and wine can be a great, healthy meal--just watch portion size. Even your "empty calorie" skinny macchiato wasn't: it had 14g protein and 45% of your day's calcium for 160 calories.

You don't have to go to extremes--you can eat the foods you love as long as you pay attention. Keep to a reasonable calorie goal that fuels your body's basic functions and your exercise and you will lose weight slowly and comfortably, and have a better chance of keeping it off because you'll be teaching yourself how to eat normal food in reasonable portions along the way.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to drop lower then 150 at 5'10? I'm an inch shorter and thats where I try to maintain.

My suggestion, eat more(like1500-1700 calories) and lift! You may not drop weight as quick, but you will drop fat and inches/sizes.

Last time I weighed 150, I was wearing a size 10. Now at 150(or even a little higher) I wear a size 4-6. BIg difference and the only thing I did was eat less, and move more by doing cardio and lifting weights.