Newbie Question

Options
Hi, just starting out and did a search on this but this is more a general question than specfic.

Regarding my daily goals, other than trying to stay under on calories, should the other elements - Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar - be regarded as 'minimums' or 'maximums' or 'about right'?

Whilst I am staying well under my calorie goal I am always struggling to stay 'under' my protein and sugar levels while always being well under on fat and sodium in partcular. I do not think I should be eating more fat and salt but equally find it very hard to keep under on sugar, even eating a couple of apples gets me over on that! So, how much do I need to worry about those goals? I appreciate it is all about balance but some guidance appreciated.

Replies

• Dibbsa
    Dibbsa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well done for starting out, my first question is why are you trying to stay under your calorie goals. You should be sticking to the calories that MFP has set you there or thereabouts for the amount of weight you would like to lose, safely, weekly. If you cut back too much your body will basically rebel and you may not in fact lose weight or find it harder to, be hungry and be more prone to giving into bingeing or eating more and then ultimately failing. Don't fret too much about going slightly over on the recommended carbs etc. Have a good balanced intake of food. You know yourself if something is good food or bad food, but don't deny yourself a treat if you have the calories and it's not going to ruin your overall week.

Good luck.
  • hashluck
    hashluck Posts: 3
    Options
    OK thanks. I was just worried since, for example, I had so far today cereal (Crunchy Niut) for breakfast and ONE Digiestive biscuit as a treat and I am already over my sugar value :-(

Strangely I seem to be well under on calories lately but not losing weight. I think I need to eat myself thin with the right foods. It is all a learning experience.
  • hashluck
    hashluck Posts: 3
    Options
    OK i found what I was looking for in new NEWBIE section DOH!