Reflux

Options
Anyone else have issues with this? I'm on medication but without much relief. I avoid the typicals: caffeine, chocolate, not a lot of tomato. Having trouble pinpointing other triggers. What affects you?

Replies

• llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, other than sweet potatoes. I eliminated them for the first several weeks of my diet and have never been able to reintroduce them without suffering digestive problems. They're my only trigger, so far as I've been able to determine. No potatoes, no heartburn.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I take HCl pills with pepsin and digestive enzymes and I haven't had acid reflux in years.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have issues with this? I'm on medication but without much relief. I avoid the typicals: caffeine, chocolate, not a lot of tomato. Having trouble pinpointing other triggers. What affects you?

What does your doctor say?
  • josarahm
    josarahm Posts: 48
    Options
    I have had reflux every day for years but started a low carb diet and it has gone. today, I put my tums in a cabinet!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    When does it occur? One of our daughters had acid reflux issues, but only at night (around bed time). Nothing we gave her helped reduce the symptoms. Turns out it wasn't acid reflux at all but was issues dealing from food sensitivities.
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can't really pin point what triggers mine, I tend to have it after most meals. However, I did get diagnosed with "helicobacter pylori" the year before last and apparently the symptoms stick around for a couple of years, and that was pain I'd never experienced before. Onions have a big effect on me, especially red. Also, certain types of wine and cider, not that I drink a lot of it! :p Have you been to your GP? I still take omeprazole for mine and it's absolutely incredible. It works wonders. :)
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I take two prescriptions for this and he told me to try to figure out my triggers. It happens at all times of the day and often seems like even water sets it off. Feels like an elephant sitting on my chest. I was checked for hpylori and it was negative. Very frustrating. The only thing I can figure out so far is the ranch dressing, tea (caffeine) and carbonated drinks. Thank goodness I don't drink a lot of either of those. I can eat the same thing two days in a row and one day it will cause pain, the next day it won't so this also leads to my frustration. I try to keep a log of food to help and my doctor is switching one of my medicines today.
  • onesmallcupcake
    Options
    I get it really fiercely if I eat in the evening. Anything after about 5 pm has me suffering. My only solution is not eating after 5!! :)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    For the last several years I have been taking two prescription pills a day. I used to take just one until around three years ago. It no longer worked and I was prescribed two omniprozole. Anyway, I have lost fifty pounds and now only take one again. I am hoping as I lose more, I wont need them.
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have reflux issues as well, I used to take a daily med, but after years since diagnosis I have figured out most of my triggers. Spicy foods (which I am still able to eat in moderation), acidic foods, greasy foods, too much tomato based food, and in general just eating certain things past a certain point in the day. I also realized that If I eat too fast it triggers my reflux. I've had some episodes that felt like (well in my mind) a heart attack, had me doubled over in pain, it hurt to sit or to lay.
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I take the over the counter omeperazole and I haven't had it in years. There are 2 types available. Avoid the one with magnesium--doesnt seem to work as well.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had it, every day, for many years. High fat foods, especially late at night. My favorites used to be a big glass of milk(16 oz) and a hunk of cheese(8 oz) . I tried to convince myself all the books said it would help me sleep. Yeh right! :)

Once I started on MFP and started watching what I was eating, when and how much,,,,,I finally figured it out.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have it, used to have to take meds every day, but with the weight loss and clean eating, the only time I have to take meds is if I'm going to be drinking. Drink coffee every day, no problem and spicy foods, no problems.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    eating veggies like greens seems to help me a lot, prevention, or during too.
    like sauteed spinach or any other kind.
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I get the same with water. Have you tried cutting out dairy? Have you been tested for food intolerances? Higher fat can bring it on too. I know when my sister eats fatty foods, i.e. pizza, chips, etc, then she gets really bad and even vomits. Maybe you should log what you eat and then when you feel the reflux coming on, write it in the food note section, that way when you get it again you can compare what you ate and see if there are similarities. I might try this actually.
  • jmacintyre1
    Options
    I had severe reflux for years, took meds that helped but had side effects that I didn't want to live with any more. I've now virtually eliminated fat from my diet, except for moderate amounts of healthy fats (http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm). I also drastically increased my water consumption but only drink room temp or even warm water as it's easier on digestion -a squeeze of fresh lemon makes 6 - 8 daily glasses of water more palatable. I don't drink much if any water within a couple hours of bedtime as that tends to make me feel bloated. Also eliminated processed foods of pretty much any kind......shop the perimeter of the grocery store! This 'cleaner eating' has brought me to the point that I generally only need a Gaviscon if I've eaten out, or occasionally treat myself to foods that I normally now don't eat. I also take a high-quality probiotic that I get at a natural food store, and that is kept refrigerated to maintain its efficacy. Also try eliminating wheat/gluten for a couple of weeks to see if you feel any better, and also try avoiding dairy for a different couple of weeks....turns out that both of these were causing big problems for me. Hope you find a solution....SOON......reflux is horrible!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Have you seen your Dr.? My mom has a hiatal hernia and it doesn't matter what she eats, if she eats too much too fast she gets reflux.

I had reflux without the hiatal hernia and mine went away when I started eating a clean diet. I gave up as many processed foods as possible and try to eat whole cheeses, lean meats and fresh veggies.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I take two prescriptions for this and he told me to try to figure out my triggers. It happens at all times of the day and often seems like even water sets it off. Feels like an elephant sitting on my chest. I was checked for hpylori and it was negative. Very frustrating. The only thing I can figure out so far is the ranch dressing, tea (caffeine) and carbonated drinks. Thank goodness I don't drink a lot of either of those. I can eat the same thing two days in a row and one day it will cause pain, the next day it won't so this also leads to my frustration. I try to keep a log of food to help and my doctor is switching one of my medicines today.

Cardiac issues have been ruled out?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    When I was eating gluten, it was a problem. Since I became gluten-free, no problems. My reflux was the worst when I was eating wheat throughout the day. Then I cut back to one piece of rye bread at breakfast and my reflux improved--I was able to cut the antacids way back. I noticed that the reflux was only associated with eating grain and specifically grain with gluten in it (no problems with steel-cut oats or rice). Haven't had to take any antacid for months. I think acid-reflux probably has a lot to do with poor digestion as the source. If you improve your digestion, it will likely go away.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    For the last several years I have been taking two prescription pills a day. I used to take just one until around three years ago. It no longer worked and I was prescribed two omniprozole. Anyway, I have lost fifty pounds and now only take one again. I am hoping as I lose more, I wont need them.

Weight loss definitely helps. The theory is that excess abdominal fat puts pressure on the stomach so that food backs up the esophagus. I think digestive issues have a lot to do with it as well. I lost almost fifty pounds (and almost 10 inches off my waist) and STILL had reflux until I went gluten-free.