Low Carbs - 80 to 100?

Options
amyllu
amyllu Posts: 432 Member
Just wondering how many carbs are considered as low carbing.
I just find it so hard to keep to less than 80 a day.

What do you think please?

Replies

• Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    According to the nutritionist I saw the "Carb Curve" is:

0-50 is considered Ketosis
    50-100 is the weight loss sweet spot
    100-150 - effortless weight maintenance
    150-300 - Insidious Weight Gain
    300-300+ danger zone

This is all taken frm Mark's Daily Apple/The Primal Blueprint. She also suggested reading "New Atkins, New You". http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-book/the-primal-blueprint/#axzz2S2HjrxO4

After meeting with this woman I realized that this is not something I could do for the long haul and put it all in my drawer, where I have only used it this one time to answer you post. :o)
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    depends from person to person...thou usually in the ball park of 30g to 50g is low...at least in my books.
    i can never do low carb...it is completely detrimental to my health and performance...but thats just me.
    if you can go low carb and you are HAPPY, by all means do so. but generally the formulae is low carb= unhappiness.
    as for weight loss, its a game of calories and the type of calories.
    i`d rather maintain a healthy balanced lifestyle than low carb for a few weeks and lose weight, cause guess what? all that low carbing weight you lose, comes right back on. i`d rather stick with long term consistency.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options

300-300+ danger zone

This is all taken frm Mark's Daily Apple/The Primal Blueprint. She also suggested reading "New Atkins, New You". http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-book/the-primal-blueprint/#axzz2S2HjrxO4

After meeting with this woman I realized that this is not something I could do for the long haul and put it all in my drawer, where I have only used it this one time to answer you post. :o)
    Nice to know adjectives describe carb consumption.....or is that carb consumerism, hard to tell.

Anyway, under 100 g's is generally considered low carb.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

300-300+ danger zone

probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen
    I've lost weight in the supposed "danger zone".
  • Zero2hero2013
    Zero2hero2013 Posts: 458
    Options
    ^^ this!
  • Zero2hero2013
    Zero2hero2013 Posts: 458
    Options
    under 30g = no carb to me

30-100g low carb
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    highway+to+the+danger+zone.jpg
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

300-300+ danger zone

I felt the same way. The really bad part is she is a nutritionist that my company hires to give consultations for people who want them. I want so badly to tell my boss she's a quack but she's a "friend" of his. It even has a diagram that goes along with it!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    37380139.jpg

First thing that came to mind after Top Gun lol.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    Just wondering how many carbs are considered as low carbing.
    I just find it so hard to keep to less than 80 a day.

What do you think please?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend low-carb diets; they all tend to make participants tired and moody. In addition, many low-carb diet participants are encouraged to supplement their lack of carbs by consuming almost unlimited amounts of high-fat, cholesterol-laden foods like bacon. It's not a healthy lifestyle.

Personally, I try to eat between 120g-150g (sometimes more) of carbs/day. I'm pretty active with walking/cycling so I need the fuel.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options

300-300+ danger zone

I felt the same way. The really bad part is she is a nutritionist that my company hires to give consultations for people who want them. I want so badly to tell my boss she's a quack but she's a "friend" of his. It even has a diagram that goes along with it!

I have noticed that low-carbers are prone to quackery.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs under 100g a day..... but I have diabetes. If you don't, don't worry about carbs. :)
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I dont eat grains so fairly naturally stay under 100gs of carbs which means you can still eat a stack of fruit and veg. I find I lose weight better like this, thats not to say in the brginning I didnt lose weight eating pasta- I did but it didnt last long.
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    carbs are needed for serotonin synthesis. no carbs no serotonin = cranky people.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs under 100g a day..... but I have diabetes. If you don't, don't worry about carbs. :)
    ^^This! It all depends on the person. I know for a fact that eating over 100g a day makes me sluggish, grumpy, and puts me in the weight loss dead zone, but then again I have diabetes too. There is no one right answer that fits everyone, but based on my experience, under 100g is a good starting target for lowish carbs. The type of carbs you're eating definitely matters too.
  • LoveCR22
    LoveCR22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Personally, I wouldn't recommend low-carb diets; they all tend to make participants tired and moody. In addition, many low-carb diet participants are encouraged to supplement their lack of carbs by consuming almost unlimited amounts of high-fat, cholesterol-laden foods like bacon. It's not a healthy lifestyle.

Personally, I try to eat between 120g-150g (sometimes more) of carbs/day. I'm pretty active with walking/cycling so I need the fuel.

Where did you come up with the idea low carb makes people tired and moody?

I tend to be low carbs most of the time now since giving up junk food, think in the last 2 weeks I haven't had a day over 50 grams and think there was even a day or two that was less than 10 grams, Only time I'm tired is before going to bed at night and sadly the memo of being able to eat unlimited amounts of anything including bacon must have gotten lost in the mail.
    Kinda moody about that now, I could go for some bacon...

*Really no eye roll smiley?
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    carbs are needed for serotonin synthesis. no carbs no serotonin = cranky people.

I eat carbs, I just don't eat grains, never get cranky from it- actually I did try ketosis for a bit an felt euphoric- the body makes its own carbs - ketones and therefore happily makes serotonin
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I believe the real trick is in low (good carbs) vs. high ("bad carbs") ie; bread carbs (not so good) vs veggie carbs (better). Try filling up on protein and fiber...it helps a lot:wink:
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    good point!:laugh: