14 Mile Bike Commute - Count as Exercise?

Options
Last year I was biking 4 miles each day, 8 miles round trip to class or work. I wouldn't really consider it exercise however, even though I was riding a fixed gear bike (meaning I cannot stop pedaling). I biked so much that 8 miles just didn't seem to take that much out of me.

Starting today however I have to bike 7 miles each way, for a 14 mile round trip. I'm hoping to make this my "gym" time as it's almost 2 hours of cardio.

Would you count this in? I do plan to continue strength training twice a week, but I don't want to wear down my body as this is going to be my main mode of transportation.

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Why would you not count 8 miles of bike riding , let alone 14, as exercise? You're moving, exerting energy, burning calories, etc. It IS exercise.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You should count it. Exactly how many calories it burns and how to factor it in is the question. You might just want to put yourself as very active.
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Borrow a heart monitor and see how many calories it burns. I bet you will be surprised!

Riding a fixie is why you dont feel it. They get you bike fit really quickly to point you have superhuman biking stamina :D
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Count. Did you put your activity level in as sedintary or lightly active?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I cycle 10 miles per day commuting which according to my HRM totals around 500 cals per day (300 cal to work and 200 cals home - it's more uphill on the way there!). Over a 5 day week that's 2500 cals extra I can eat.

I also strength train, currently 4 hrs per week. The only interference I've noticed is that starting out on my bike the day after leg day can be hard going but usually eases after I've warmed up.

You should definitely be counting it.
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    I cycle 10 miles per day commuting which according to my HRM totals around 500 cals per day (300 cal to work and 200 cals home - it's more uphill on the way there!). Over a 5 day week that's 2500 cals extra I can eat.

I also strength train, currently 4 hrs per week. The only interference I've noticed is that starting out on my bike the day after leg day can be hard going but usually eases after I've warmed up.

You should definitely be counting it.

This is really what I was looking for. Thank you!
  • kaleas
    Options
    Borrow a heart monitor and see how many calories it burns. I bet you will be surprised!

Riding a fixie is why you dont feel it. They get you bike fit really quickly to point you have superhuman biking stamina :D

Haha, so true. My calf muscles by the end of the summer from riding Fixie up our hills looked almost disgusting.
  • azdaveaim
    azdaveaim Posts: 4
    Options
    Great job! I also commute to work twice a week and its 19 miles one direction. I do count it as part of my weekly workout schedule. I have a 18 speed road bike and fine it works well.
  • bluetrumpet01
    bluetrumpet01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Of course, why wouldn't you? I totally envy you by the way. I'd bike commute to work if it wasn't a 34 mile each way death wish to try.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    it counts, and many people ride for 100 miles. in one day.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

Haha, so true. My calf muscles by the end of the summer from riding Fixie up our hills looked almost disgusting.

it baffles me how muscle can look disgusting:huh: .
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah I'd count it!

I used to cycle to work when I worked about 8miles away but after changing jobs it's too far now (50mile round trip) but it would be a lot more fun than sitting on the static bike in my dining room for a couple of hours a week lol
  • kaleas
    Options
    I survived my 7 miles out, 7 miles back without any fatigue, despite not having ridden in months. I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow.

I'm going to include it as exercise but underestimate the calories. I think all I'll really change is that I'll eat the majority of my calories of the day at lunch/snacking before I bike home and have a lighter dinner.