Blisters from Walking, Anyone Know How to Prevent?

2»

Replies

• luvtcuk
    luvtcuk Posts: 69 Member
    1. You should go to a runner store and get a running shoe and socks for runner too. It will be pricy a bit, but it worth the trouble. People there will help you find the shoe that fit for your feet type. Even though you are not running but the running shoes are the best for your feet. I used to walk in the Avon walk 13 miles a days for 2 days. And I was trained many miles, a few months before that. I never have a blister.
    2. There a few running store you can google.
    Road runner sport
    Potomac river run.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Your shoes don't fit. Everyone has different feet and all shoes fit differently. Find a pair that don't give you blisters.

I also second the "maybe you need better socks" solution.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    What everyone else said, plus anti-blister socks (double layer socks) are used by a lot of diabetics to prevent blisters. It's also better to wear white socks. Also, until they heal, Band-Aid makes blister bandaids that are cushioned. You put them on & pretty much leave them on until they wear off. Helps to protect them while they heal & reduce discomfort.

Link for Anti-Blister socks...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O6XE8O/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2/184-8083489-7973940?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=1A8YW04PATD3D3B62J7M&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_i=B00A0TZHP4

Link for Blister Bandaids...
    Note: Scroll to near bottom for anti-blister bandaids for toes or other areas...
    http://www.band-aid.com/our-products/advanced-protection
  • Em2je05
    Em2je05 Posts: 215 Member
    I get blisters on my feet as well, except that it is right underneath my big toe and becomes huge. I have noticed that wearing two socks (1 being the moisture wicking one) really helps when I go on long distance walks (more than 1 mile outside or on the treadmill), They say that cotton socks are really bad for you if you are prone to blisters. When I do have a blister I buy the blister bandaids (by nextcare I think) and that helps to cushion the blister and helps with the pain.

Hope this helps! :)
  • chezzychez
    chezzychez Posts: 1
    I trekked the great wall of china for 8 days and did not get one blister!! the best prevention is to wear 2 pairs of socks. The socks will rub together and not on your foot. 1 pair of cotton socks and a pair of trekking socks worked best for me.. good luck. xx
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    I went to the pharmacy area in Walmart and stepped onto the Dr. Scholls Mat they have there. It senses where you put most pressure etc. It recommended I get a specific insert for my shoes and although it cost me around $50, I was desperate so got them. Haven't gotten a blister since.

Oh lordy, I wonder what it would say about mine. For the past few years, I have walked around either barefoot or with flipflops. (I am positive that hasn't helped any)

LOL me too! The good thing about going with inserts is that you don't have to buy new shoes, so the $50 wasn't so bad. I was able to keep the shoes I had. Newbalance are great running shoes, so it's probably the way you land/put pressure on a certain area.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Quite apart from all the good advice above...are the shoes new? I just got a new pair of Skecher which rubbed first time out (and that was wearing tights with sock over) - for me it was that the heel of the shoe came in a different place from any of my other trainers, and it was quite hard. Try either breaking down the back of the shoe a bit or wearing them round the house for a few days.

I've had bisters on toes before where I wasn't wearing new shoes, just on ym feet for a very long day (Around Disneyland Paris).
  • Falyesai
    Falyesai Posts: 41
    Thanks so much for the advice and I truely appreciate the listing of places in Georgia! Going to try all the suggestions, because I really want to get in better cardio health. Strength wise I am ok, Cardio, I am out of breath in minutes.

So basically:
    * Thicker Socks
    * Better fitting shoes
    * Attempt to convince husband to take me to a footwear specialty store. (I think there is one in athens)
    * And protect those heels. (funny how thick my bottom of the feet are, can walk on gravel barefoot and not even wince, but anywhere higher is thin skinned lol)
  • bethgrayster
    bethgrayster Posts: 56 Member
    I don't know what part of GA you are in but look and see if there is a Phidippides or Fleet Feet near you. They both have multiple locations in the Atlanta Metro area. I got fitted for running shoes at Fleet Feet and they were awesome and nice!
    Edited to add:
    Also at Fleet Feet they will do custom sports bra fittings too. If you decide to start running or jogging, it is very important to have good support!
  • bethgrayster
    bethgrayster Posts: 56 Member
    Thanks so much for the advice and I truely appreciate the listing of places in Georgia! Going to try all the suggestions, because I really want to get in better cardio health. Strength wise I am ok, Cardio, I am out of breath in minutes.

So basically:
    * Thicker Socks
    * Better fitting shoes
    * Attempt to convince husband to take me to a footwear specialty store. (I think there is one in athens)
    * And protect those heels. (funny how thick my bottom of the feet are, can walk on gravel barefoot and not even wince, but anywhere higher is thin skinned lol)

Oh you are near Athens! Go to Athens Running Company: 367 Prince Ave, Ste 2 Athens, GA 30601
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    I always get blisters on my heels if I do not wear good socks. For christmas my boyfriend bought me these socks that have an extra cushion tab on the back and it really helps prevent blisters. I try to only wear them when I workout. Plus they are crazy comfortable!

Zkano.com

*I just saw that you are in GA, these socks are made in Fort Payne, Alabama.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    I use to get those, on the side of my heel from running. A few years ago i switched to better socks, such as from Thorlos. Oh man i have never had a blister since and i'll run a 10K in the heat!
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    The Merrel brand has a line called GLOVE...they are a tad pricey but worth every dime....they look just like a sneaker, and you have to look close to see it, but the back of the shoe is actually elasticized, so they fit perfect no matter the heel or back of foot size...here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J4FJI2/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3M0732IKDE6S0
  • I agree with the feedback from everyone, ill fitting socks and shoes are the cause. When I started walking I had blisters as well. The next day I went to ****s Sporting Goods for a walking assessment; the guy who helped me was kind enough to give me a list of shoes (brand and style) that work for me so i could shop around for a cheaper price. As for socks he recommenede sweat wicking socks/running socks. I tell you both of those things made a difference. Now I can tell when my shoes need replacing because the balls of my feet start to burn.

I wish you the best on your journey and hope that you find the right pair of socks and shoes that work for you!