Running with music/fitness tracker

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a device that I can listen to music on while I run but will also GPS track my run, time, distance, calories etc.

Is there such a thing? I currently use runkeeper on my phone but I hate carrying my big phone with me on my run. I am looking for more like an arm band or watch or clip device.

Call me silly, I dont even have an iPod :)

Thanks in advance

Replies

• jlopreste
    jlopreste Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are thinking about getting the motoactiv read into it first. I had one but i am not sure this will work for everyone. Good luck :D
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have the 16gb motoactv. I did a lot of research, and love the music capacity. The Gps function is pretty cool. You can calibrate it for distance and seems nicely accurate. I love the touch face. It is really user friendly. I also like how small the size is. The music sounds great with cheap wired headphones. I have not tried the bluetooth connectivity feature yet.

What I don't like about it is the algorithm it uses for calories burned is so horribly inaccurate. You have to select what activity you are going to do. I tested the motoactv against my fitbit, my polar ft4 and my Nordic Track tread mill. I had "walking indoors" selected for workout on motoactv. I think I did like 3 miles and my fitbit, polar and treadmill all had a calorie burn around 300. The motoactv said 128 calories. Usually the fitbit and treadmill are almost always within 20-30 calories of each other. I also have used it out hiking. There is no hiking exercise to pick for workout so I had to pick "walking outdoors". So the incline and all that does not get factored into calories burned. Again it estimates a few hundred calories for a 4.6 mile hike, where I usually burn several hundred just on the way up. So i ordered the bluetooth chest HRM strap, thinking it would give me a more accurate number based on heart rate. I found out that it still overrides this and just uses the inaccurate algorithm. I am waiting for the strap in the mail, and will tell ya more after I try it.

I do like being able to see my route mapped out on satellite after wards. The forum search is a little funky. And I do not like the way they have it set up to import music. It imports playlists only. You have to manually drag and copy artists into folders. You have to own the music you want to put on it, so anything downloaded through stuff like zune, or rhapsody will not get synced. I have read that you can stream from a smartphone but have not done it yet.

I hope this helps you. I bought mine used on ebay for 125.00. I am still kind of back and forth with it. If you have any other questions hit me up :)
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Okay, thank you guys for the advice, is the MotoActv the only tracker/music player out there?
  • aniawiecek
    aniawiecek Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    try nike+ running, it let u listen to ur music at ur phone n recording ur run with gps at the same time, i am using it and love it