stuck in a 3 day cycle

I appear to be binge eating every three days. I'm starving. Any advice?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Are you cutting your calories too low on the other days?
  • lagringaloca1
    lagringaloca1 Posts: 22 Member
    What sets you off on the binge? What are you starving for ? Anything in particular? What are you doing for exercise those days? Some activities may stimulate your appetite more than others... or could it be emotional eating? Need more info.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    How many calories are you netting (the amount after you take total food minus exercise calories)? Getting enough protein? Opening your diary will probably get you more help.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Are you taking any vitamins? It could be that you are restricting yourself so much that on the third day your body retaliates and makes you super hungry. Try taking a multi vitamin and see if it helps curb the hunger.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Binge eating spikes beta endorphin. When the BE wears off you feel awful and your BE receptors are empty and screaming for more BE. Your body sends hungry/craving signals because that is what it knows works. It takes 3-4 days for this cycle to manifest. It sounds like you are stuck in it.

Eating enough protein, carbs & fats helps. Not eating sweet tasting things helps. Doing other things like exercise, playing, laughing, dancing, praying, meditating help too.
  • AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    I used to binge eat to fill emotional needs that were not being met. I'm not sure if that is the case with you, but if it is, the best thing you can do is keep your trigger foods out of the house whether it be chips or ice cream. Enlist the support of your significant other (if you have one). A lot of time binge eaters will hide/sneak food. Tell your SO that you need help in breaking the habit and to try and keep an eye on you at your binge times. I had my husband do that and I also had him ask me how I would feel after I ate all that food and my stomach was bloated and the guilt sunk in. I haven't binged in awhile. Having a support system is so important. You can quit!
  • lfschaper
    lfschaper Posts: 3 Member
    I was stuck in this rut for a while too and finally broke out of it. I'd be all gung ho on MOnday and by Thursday I'd be binge eating again. Here's some advice that helped me:

Don't be too restrictive in calories at first. Cut yourself some slack so you have a plan that you can maintain for a long time. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Drink water when you're hungry. It will give you time to figure out if you really are hungry or just thirsty or bored.

If you can, read a copy of The Beck Diet Solution. Love this book. It's not a diet, but a cognitive approach to dieting. It gives you tools to turn to that will help keep you on track. I've read it twice now and it really does help...even though some of it seems a bit hokey.

GOOD LUCK!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    didn't work for me but intermittent fasting might work for you. there are loads of different options including, 2 days fasting (eat below 500 cals) then 5 eating normally.

not advocating this but different things work for different people.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    I used to binge eat a lot because I had all or none thinking. I would deprive myself to the point that every few days I would eat everything in sight. I felt like I could never eat certain foods that I loved and that was that. It led to all sorts of tears and misery. I've had to overcome that way of thinking, and MFP has helped so much. I can see what I'm eating and how to "make room", so I can fit in the foods I love without having to give anything up. Being able to see the calories I burn when I exercise, and then getting to eat them back if I want has been awesome. Since I've been using MFP I haven't binged, haven't even felt like binge eating. I am losing weight because my eating has balanced out and consistent from day to day, and the best thing is not getting on the scales and bursting into tears every time.