Bitterness is really ugly & so"WAS" I-success stories pls!

Options
NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
Bitterness is so ugly...it's so destructive to everyone, y/ourselves mainly and included. Bitterness and denial is also soooo BLINDING, so easy to see in others, but not so much in y/ourselves!

I'm starting this topic, because I believe hearing about how you have chosen to finally WAKE-UP and forsake being a bitter old/young yucky looking and acting person, how changing y/ourself from the inside-out has not only helped you in your lifestyle choices (not merely your eating and drinking--but your attitude in life and ways of being, speaking and treating others as well as yourself), how your throwing down the gauntlet with y/OURSELVES and giving bitterness, nagging, bossing/controlling, ugly ways their walking papers and how getting rid of thinking, acting, speaking ugly has actually helped you to love exercise/daily activity and how you're actually lost/are losing weight in the process--because of changing y/our ways for good.

Sounds like a weird topic, I know...but PLEASE share how you FINALLY got it thru y/our thick skull that it's not everyone else with the problem/issues but you--how shaking yourself out of denial has turned you into the good looking, speaking and feeling new person that you've always knew you were and finally really and truly ARE! Many people in denial see nothing wrong with the way they are...if this is you, you need not reply--this topic is for those of us that know the problem is us and not others.

PLEASE SHARE your success in this area!!!!!

Replies

• MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything too specific - but I know that when I am happy with myself, I am kinder to the rest of the world. When I feel insecure, I have to fight that nagging little voice that judges others and tries to bring them down to how I feel. When I feel comfortable with my body, I am happier to see everyone else happy as well.
  • cwmp
    cwmp Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I woke up the day I saw a pic of me standing next to a heavy friend (that I would judge in my head saying how did she get that big) and I realized I was bigger than her. I will never judge people like that again. That was 1 year and 90lbs ago.
  • hatkinson87
    hatkinson87 Posts: 42
    Options
    My time was when I realized that I reached a weight that I said I would never get to! I also realized that I needed to make a change when I saw some VERY unflattering pictures my boyfriend had taken back in Jan. It was so difficult to look at them and realize that I was lying to myself when I said everything was fine. And last but not least, I realized that I was losing my ability to exercise. I couldn't do much of anything without huffing and puffing and I was shying away from activities with my friends because of my weight.

I weighed 235 pounds in January and am currently down 10 pounds as of today. I haven't stuck with my stuff as tight as I should (I still battle the emotional eating and the binging) but I'm realizing that I am getting older and that I can't keep living my life like this without consequences. My goal is to be to my first goal weight of 170 by May 2014. I have 55 pounds to lose to reach that goal. If I reach it sooner, great for me! If I exceed that goal, wonderful!! After that my ultimate goal weight is 140 pounds. That's how much I weighed when I was 19-20 and that is the healthiest weight for my height. It's a hard road, but it's even harder to take pills and be stuck at home alone and depressed!!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Well I've dropped weight twice, so here's my story -

In Fall 2009 I was the maid of honor at my friend's wedding. Dress size 16 (they warned me they were UK sizing, not sure why in America, but ok!) I was the biggest one. One was a size 4, Two was a size 10, I was a 16. After looking at those photos, I figured "the camera adds 10 pounds, I am not fat!". Oh how wrong was I. I started undergrad school that same month and I was eating a TON... 2 sandwiches a day for lunch, and eating out constantly. I was exhausted, overwhelmed with studies, and working on the weekends. I thought I had my life all together and things were going great (I was in school, had a decent job, and my health seemed fine!). Sometimes my friends would ask how I was feeling and the answer was always fine. One day a good friend pulled me aside and told me straight up. "You're hiding behind the food and I don't know why. You've ballooned in the 3 years I've known you. It's getting out of hand and you need to figure out why you feel the need to eat so much". Needless to say, I didn't talk to her for a few months. I was not fat! Yeah so I gained a little weight. Everyone does in college!

At the end of the semester, I was up to 167 pounds (57 pounds heavier than when I graduated high school, in 5 years time).Nothing I owned fit me anymore, but I still managed to squeeze into it so I didn't have to buy new clothes (and that was my saving grace - "I'm not fat, look, I'm wearing a size 8!, same pants I wore last year, I told you I'm not fat!"). And at the age of 24, I dreaded summers going to the beach with friends and stopped dating all together because I started feeling horrible about myself, let alone what anyone else thought of me. If I didn't like me, why would anyone else? I became a hermit, shut out most of my friends, and just tried to stay out of everyone's way because I didn't want to be told I was fat anymore. If no one could tell me, I must be doing fine, and if they wanted to tell me I would change the subject and/or avoid them for a few weeks so I didn't have to hear it.

I would be graduating college in spring 2011 with a degree in law, and I wanted to be a police officer. Kind of tough to do when you're overweight. I met a wonderful friend who was also training to be an officer, and we had all our classes together that semester. I started eating healthier and going to the gym with her every other day. I was slowly dropping weight, and gaining back energy! As an early grad present, my parents got me a 6 month membership to Crossfit. At this particular crossfit they used the paleo method diet with crossfit exercises. I dropped 37 lbs in just 4 months then maintained that for about 4 months.

Insert medical problems here. I was out on disability for debilitating headaches and extreme weakness. I could barely move most days. Since I was stuck at home, having difficulty driving with the headaches, I started eating pizza, chips, soda... I needed to be comforted! No one could figure out what was going on. I was tested for just about everything under the sun (Lyme's disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Lupus). Everything was negative (including my outlook on life, the doctors didn't believe I was always in pain, maybe I am just crazy...). The doctors told me it was in my head, that maybe I needed psych counseling. I went and got a second opinion and finally, an answer. 6 months after the whole ordeal, I was diagnosed with moderate Fibromyalgia. I think this was when everything really hit me. I needed to change my lifestyle so I didn't end up being in more pain and being a martyr all my life. I could either let this bring me down the rest of my life, Or I could do something about it.

Those first few months I did act like a martyr. It took the meds time to kick in, but once they did, I slowly gained back strength and confidence that I can do a lot more than the limits I put on myself. I found my dream job working full time as a dispatcher (I had to realize I couldn't be an officer anymore, and I couldn't continue being a medic with the county because of the stress and the pain I was enduring every day on the job from my Fibro). I began volunteering 2 days a week after work, and taking yoga. I've met the love of my life (who has stood by me at my heaviest and the lightest, through all the Fibro issues and is a wonderful support for me). My life has changed in so many way!

At age 24 (167 pounds) - Hated myself most days, Ate to hide the pain, didn't listen to my friends when they said it's getting out of control, and was suicidal for a while. I figured "I'm 24, single, and no one wants to be with me because of my weight. I'll never get married and have a family and I hate going out with friends because they are all skinny and I'm the big one". Most of my friends at this time were getting married, and I hated that I was left out. I figured I would never experience life if I kept hiding behind the food. I was controlling, everything had to be my way or no way at all and it had to happen on my time. That was my way of coping with the pain.

At age 27 (today - 133 pounds) - I have a wonderful job and even more wonderful friends. I've found my passion in my volunteer work and I look forward to it each and every day. I'm eating healthier options, have more energy, and the doctors are talking about slowly decreasing my Fibro meds because I've learned to manage the pain with yoga, diet, light exercise (walking mainly), and essential oil usage. I'm working on my controlling ways, and have learned through yoga to let things go and fall into place on their own.

It may not seems like a lot, or like I didn't have to go through a lot to realize my ugliness, but I can honestly say now that I love life, medical issues and all, because that's what makes me who I am!

December 2009 - 167 pounds
    July 2011 - 137 pounds
    January 2012 - 150 pounds
    Today - 133 pounds
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

In Fall 2009 I was the maid of honor at my friend's wedding. Dress size 16 (they warned me they were UK sizing, not sure why in America, but ok!) I was the biggest one. One was a size 4, Two was a size 10, I was a 16. After looking at those photos, I figured "the camera adds 10 pounds, I am not fat!". Oh how wrong was I. I started undergrad school that same month and I was eating a TON... 2 sandwiches a day for lunch, and eating out constantly. I was exhausted, overwhelmed with studies, and working on the weekends. I thought I had my life all together and things were going great (I was in school, had a decent job, and my health seemed fine!). Sometimes my friends would ask how I was feeling and the answer was always fine. One day a good friend pulled me aside and told me straight up. "You're hiding behind the food and I don't know why. You've ballooned in the 3 years I've known you. It's getting out of hand and you need to figure out why you feel the need to eat so much". Needless to say, I didn't talk to her for a few months. I was not fat! Yeah so I gained a little weight. Everyone does in college!

At the end of the semester, I was up to 167 pounds (57 pounds heavier than when I graduated high school, in 5 years time).Nothing I owned fit me anymore, but I still managed to squeeze into it so I didn't have to buy new clothes (and that was my saving grace - "I'm not fat, look, I'm wearing a size 8!, same pants I wore last year, I told you I'm not fat!"). And at the age of 24, I dreaded summers going to the beach with friends and stopped dating all together because I started feeling horrible about myself, let alone what anyone else thought of me. If I didn't like me, why would anyone else? I became a hermit, shut out most of my friends, and just tried to stay out of everyone's way because I didn't want to be told I was fat anymore. If no one could tell me, I must be doing fine, and if they wanted to tell me I would change the subject and/or avoid them for a few weeks so I didn't have to hear it.

I would be graduating college in spring 2011 with a degree in law, and I wanted to be a police officer. Kind of tough to do when you're overweight. I met a wonderful friend who was also training to be an officer, and we had all our classes together that semester. I started eating healthier and going to the gym with her every other day. I was slowly dropping weight, and gaining back energy! As an early grad present, my parents got me a 6 month membership to Crossfit. At this particular crossfit they used the paleo method diet with crossfit exercises. I dropped 37 lbs in just 4 months then maintained that for about 4 months.

Insert medical problems here. I was out on disability for debilitating headaches and extreme weakness. I could barely move most days. Since I was stuck at home, having difficulty driving with the headaches, I started eating pizza, chips, soda... I needed to be comforted! No one could figure out what was going on. I was tested for just about everything under the sun (Lyme's disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Lupus). Everything was negative (including my outlook on life, the doctors didn't believe I was always in pain, maybe I am just crazy...). The doctors told me it was in my head, that maybe I needed psych counseling. I went and got a second opinion and finally, an answer. 6 months after the whole ordeal, I was diagnosed with moderate Fibromyalgia. I think this was when everything really hit me. I needed to change my lifestyle so I didn't end up being in more pain and being a martyr all my life. I could either let this bring me down the rest of my life, Or I could do something about it.

Those first few months I did act like a martyr. It took the meds time to kick in, but once they did, I slowly gained back strength and confidence that I can do a lot more than the limits I put on myself. I found my dream job working full time as a dispatcher (I had to realize I couldn't be an officer anymore, and I couldn't continue being a medic with the county because of the stress and the pain I was enduring every day on the job from my Fibro). I began volunteering 2 days a week after work, and taking yoga. I've met the love of my life (who has stood by me at my heaviest and the lightest, through all the Fibro issues and is a wonderful support for me). My life has changed in so many way!

At age 24 (167 pounds) - Hated myself most days, Ate to hide the pain, didn't listen to my friends when they said it's getting out of control, and was suicidal for a while. I figured "I'm 24, single, and no one wants to be with me because of my weight. I'll never get married and have a family and I hate going out with friends because they are all skinny and I'm the big one". Most of my friends at this time were getting married, and I hated that I was left out. I figured I would never experience life if I kept hiding behind the food. I was controlling, everything had to be my way or no way at all and it had to happen on my time. That was my way of coping with the pain.

At age 27 (today - 133 pounds) - I have a wonderful job and even more wonderful friends. I've found my passion in my volunteer work and I look forward to it each and every day. I'm eating healthier options, have more energy, and the doctors are talking about slowly decreasing my Fibro meds because I've learned to manage the pain with yoga, diet, light exercise (walking mainly), and essential oil usage. I'm working on my controlling ways, and have learned through yoga to let things go and fall into place on their own.

It may not seems like a lot, or like I didn't have to go through a lot to realize my ugliness, but I can honestly say now that I love life, medical issues and all, because that's what makes me who I am!

July 2011 - 137 pounds
    Today - 133 pounds

Wow...just WOW! You Rock, period. :heart: :drinker: :love: :drinker: :heart:
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

July 2011 - 137 pounds
    Today - 133 pounds

You are inspiring and such a brave person :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I don't have anything too specific - but I know that when I am happy with myself, I am kinder to the rest of the world. When I feel insecure, I have to fight that nagging little voice that judges others and tries to bring them down to how I feel. When I feel comfortable with my body, I am happier to see everyone else happy as well.

This is so beautiful, what you've said here--I LOVE it! :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • zaftiggirl
    zaftiggirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is going to be kind of long, partly because I feel the need to get it off my chest. I'm not really near my goal weight yet, but I am in a much healthier place mentally than I've ever been so I feel like I can post here! :flowerforyou:

I have been overweight for as long as I can remember, but I wasn't technically obese until my first year of college. I didn't have terrible body image issues, despite being overweight - I am pretty tall and was fairly athletic and so I was able to carry 200+ lbs in a way that I thought still looked ok. Not great, but not terrible. I did, however, have emotional eating issues - triggered by having an over-filled schedule and lack of control over a few big choices in my life.

My mom took me to join Jenny Craig at age 13. I was a terrible little cheater :drinker: and so it didn't do a damn thing.

My grandmother told me that I would be beautiful if I would just lose my belly. :brokenheart:

My dad made it clear that he wished I was more of a natural athlete. :frown:

None of them are bad people, and they have all been very supportive for most of my life - it's just that those particular words were burned into my psyche. Bitterness hadn't actually set in, yet.

To top all that off, I grew up in a cult (but didn't realize it until I was 20 years old :noway:). Throughout high school & college, I had a youth "mentor" that was about 5 years older than I was - she didn't have an amazing figure either, despite the fact that she was always trying something new and crazy to lose weight. Allowing her to 'help' me with life decisions is my one big regret so far in life. There are so many stories I could tell about ways I feel like she brainwashed me, but I'll keep it to the weight aspect :wink:. I started to lift heavy weights in high school and loved it, but she told me that I should stop because it was going to make me bulky. So I did. Her ideas about femininity and stress management were completely backwards. I was a vocalist at our church, and I really loved that too - but, one day she told me that she was passing me up for an opportunity because I would be on stage, and my weight was too much of a problem. That it would reflect poorly on her, because they had to keep certain standards for the people on stage. I was a shapely size 16, 5'9" and 19 years old and mad as hell. :mad:

I finally realized that she was a poisonous person to be around, and dropped her, and my entire community of friends that had also grown up in that cult - but kept the hatred for them burning for quite some time.

This attitude that I was not truly accepted helped me to lose 40lbs. But it came back, along with 30 more lbs. In the last 4 years, the lowest I have weighed is 180lbs. I got there with a super unhealthy diet, 500 calories a day and no exercise. Then, last year, I got engaged to my fantastic husband and hired a personal trainer, who really helped me to see the value of strength over numbers on the scale. I started to lift some heavier weights again, and the fire had started again! I ended up loving how I looked on my wedding day, extra pounds and all (my profile has some pics). However, after the honeymoon, I started a new job and the stress eating went off. the. charts. And still I had terrible days filled with bitterness.

At the beginning of this year, I felt truly uncomfortable in my own skin for the first time ever. At my highest weight ever, I felt so much shame and guilt, no matter how beautiful my husband told me he thought I was. I had acne for the first time ever. My sister bought me a book called "A Course In Weight Loss," and it completely changed how I was viewing health and weight loss. I am normally pretty skeptical (being in a cult will do that to you) but this book was different. The author proposes that extra weight on your body can be representative of extra weight in your mind. She suggests that you need to allow every version of yourself, at every weight, exist with equal love and acceptance. That I needed to recognize the battle scars on my body from war with myself, waged by overeating foods that I <i>knew</i> were damaging. And that I needed to forgive in order to be healthy. All my weight loss attempts in the past have been for the purpose of being good enough for someone else... but now, I can pursue health for myself AND love my body even though it is fat.

My weight hasn't changed, but I feel a hundred pounds lighter.

Now, I lift heavy Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and do a yoga class Tuesdays and Thursdays, and sometimes hike on the weekends with my husband. I eat about 2,000 calories per day (compared to the 500 before!), and I've been losing weight in a way that feels good for the first time in my life. Even my bad days are filled with hope. So anyways, that's my success story - my mind is stronger and less weighted, and I'm sure my body will follow. :bigsmile:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    This is going to be kind of long, partly because I feel the need to get it off my chest. I'm not really near my goal weight yet, but I am in a much healthier place mentally than I've ever been so I feel like I can post here! :flowerforyou:

I have been overweight for as long as I can remember, but I wasn't technically obese until my first year of college. I didn't have terrible body image issues, despite being overweight - I am pretty tall and was fairly athletic and so I was able to carry 200+ lbs in a way that I thought still looked ok. Not great, but not terrible. I did, however, have emotional eating issues - triggered by having an over-filled schedule and lack of control over a few big choices in my life.

My mom took me to join Jenny Craig at age 13. I was a terrible little cheater :drinker: and so it didn't do a damn thing.

My grandmother told me that I would be beautiful if I would just lose my belly. :brokenheart:

My dad made it clear that he wished I was more of a natural athlete. :frown:

None of them are bad people, and they have all been very supportive for most of my life - it's just that those particular words were burned into my psyche. Bitterness hadn't actually set in, yet.

To top all that off, I grew up in a cult (but didn't realize it until I was 20 years old :noway:). Throughout high school & college, I had a youth "mentor" that was about 5 years older than I was - she didn't have an amazing figure either, despite the fact that she was always trying something new and crazy to lose weight. Allowing her to 'help' me with life decisions is my one big regret so far in life. There are so many stories I could tell about ways I feel like she brainwashed me, but I'll keep it to the weight aspect :wink:. I started to lift heavy weights in high school and loved it, but she told me that I should stop because it was going to make me bulky. So I did. Her ideas about femininity and stress management were completely backwards. I was a vocalist at our church, and I really loved that too - but, one day she told me that she was passing me up for an opportunity because I would be on stage, and my weight was too much of a problem. That it would reflect poorly on her, because they had to keep certain standards for the people on stage. I was a shapely size 16, 5'9" and 19 years old and mad as hell. :mad:

I finally realized that she was a poisonous person to be around, and dropped her, and my entire community of friends that had also grown up in that cult - but kept the hatred for them burning for quite some time.

This attitude that I was not truly accepted helped me to lose 40lbs. But it came back, along with 30 more lbs. In the last 4 years, the lowest I have weighed is 180lbs. I got there with a super unhealthy diet, 500 calories a day and no exercise. Then, last year, I got engaged to my fantastic husband and hired a personal trainer, who really helped me to see the value of strength over numbers on the scale. I started to lift some heavier weights again, and the fire had started again! I ended up loving how I looked on my wedding day, extra pounds and all (my profile has some pics). However, after the honeymoon, I started a new job and the stress eating went off. the. charts. And still I had terrible days filled with bitterness.

At the beginning of this year, I felt truly uncomfortable in my own skin for the first time ever. At my highest weight ever, I felt so much shame and guilt, no matter how beautiful my husband told me he thought I was. I had acne for the first time ever. My sister bought me a book called "A Course In Weight Loss," and it completely changed how I was viewing health and weight loss. I am normally pretty skeptical (being in a cult will do that to you) but this book was different. The author proposes that extra weight on your body can be representative of extra weight in your mind. She suggests that you need to allow every version of yourself, at every weight, exist with equal love and acceptance. That I needed to recognize the battle scars on my body from war with myself, waged by overeating foods that I <i>knew</i> were damaging. And that I needed to forgive in order to be healthy. All my weight loss attempts in the past have been for the purpose of being good enough for someone else... but now, I can pursue health for myself AND love my body even though it is fat.

My weight hasn't changed, but I feel a hundred pounds lighter.

Now, I lift heavy Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and do a yoga class Tuesdays and Thursdays, and sometimes hike on the weekends with my husband. I eat about 2,000 calories per day (compared to the 500 before!), and I've been losing weight in a way that feels good for the first time in my life. Even my bad days are filled with hope. So anyways, that's my success story - my mind is stronger and less weighted, and I'm sure my body will follow. :bigsmile:

WOW :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :love:

Success story indeed--I'd venture to call it a VICTORY story! Girlfriend, your taking the time and care to share your beautiful and exciting/scary/adventure story of your life is an inspirational & encouraging and downright tremendous tale of living, learning and kicking bitterness, hatred and woe to the place where the sun will truly never shine. You so ROCK and thank you so very much for sharing! WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: The places I've highlighted are so very DEEP and thrilling and life giving to me...again, sister girl---YOU ROCK and I'm so proud of you and happy for you too! :heart:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I woke up the day I saw a pic of me standing next to a heavy friend (that I would judge in my head saying how did she get that big) and I realized I was bigger than her. I will never judge people like that again. That was 1 year and 90lbs ago.

Yes! So Deep....so tremendous--you ROCK! LOVE this post:heart::drinker: :heart: I especially LOVE "That was 1 year and 90lbs ago"

Thank you so much for posting--WOOT!!!!!!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    My story is a little different. I never got into the obese stage...I got my wake-up call the last time I went home to see my family.

I look just like my father, and I mean that. If you put his picture at 18 and mine side by side, you'd think they were the same person. I joined the military at 17 and left home and have never gone back...now living on the east coast.

My father had double by-pass surgery at 42, and has been fighting his weight for a very long time. I never really paid much attention to it until the last time I went home.

There he was, over 300lbs 5'10" frame (same as me). My weight at that time was 205lbs. The largest I have ever been in my life. This was last summer when I saw him. He has since had to have another heart procedure and I honestly believe (and I wish I didn't), that he won't be around more than another 10 years at his current rate. I begged him while I was there to start doing some kind of exercise and to start eating less.

What made me decide I needed to think about ME was when my stepmother hugged me as I was leaving to come back home. She said "Oh, honey, you are just like your daddy. And you're following in his footsteps".

I didn't think much about it then, but on the drive home (8 hours) it occurred to me that she was "patting" my belly when she said that...so I realized then she was saying that I was literally going down the same path he did.

That scared me...hell it floored me a little! I decided right then I wasn't going to let that happen to me. I didn't find this site until October of last year, so I had already started to make some progress...I was 199lbs or so by that time. Using this site I went down to 192lbs, before the holidays hit and I let myself lapse.

I just recently decided (since my 40th birthday is the end of this month), that I'm not going to let myself waiver anymore, and I'm going to press until either my measurements put me in the "normal" weight range, or my weight does (I know if I start to put on muscle the "weight" may not actually be the right indicator)...So my goal is 179, that's where I leave the "over-weight" category.

I just can't let myself end up like my father. I just can't.

I still beg him whenever I call him to get on his treadmill for 10 minutes at a time once or twice a day...sadly I don't think he will ever do it. And I hate that I'm watching my father die before my eyes.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I made the decision when my niece was certified as a fitness trainer and volunteered to set me up with MFP and guide me through the program. At this point I was 64 years old, retired, happily married for 42 years, led a lifestyle with steady, moderate exercise around the farm ( a lot in the summer and fall, less in the winter), had no serious health issues, and I weighed more than I liked but was nonetheless a warm, happy, confident person with a group of close friends and a respected reputation in my hobby as a gourd and fiber artist. I was happy with who I was and what I accompllshed in my life but would prefer to lose about 30 lbs. I started the program, ate sensibly under my niece's guidance, logged everything I ate, exercised a lot more outside as the weather improved, did cardio indoors on the elliptical machine, and did a Funcercize beginners workout DVD using 5 lb. dumbbells several times a week, on a more or less random schedule for the DVD part of it as suited my personal convenience. I never went over my calorie goals for the day, was almost always under, never did a "cheat day", kept to the plan with no difficulty due largely to determination and self-control, was down in weight at every weekly weigh-in, and now at 90 days in I have lost 10 lbs. and about 12" off my waist, have more strength, stamina, and energy than before starting, my arms no longer jiggle, my butt is firmer, my legs are stronger, I am pleased with my progress and happy with my appearance, as is my husband. I wanted to take it slow because my skin is 64 years old and too-fast weight loss would leave me looking like a half-melted candle. I never HAD any bitterness, bad self-image, lack of confidence, body image issues, or an ED in the first place. If my neice had not reccommended this program, or If I hadn't lost an ounce, I would still have been a happy, confident person who thought I was a damned good artist and designer and really liked myself. Yes, I have had success, and have been very pleased with the results, and I find this site a great tool. I have not had any bumps in the road, nor have I ever fallen off the wagon. It is true that I don't know my BMR, body fat percentage, or any of the other technical stuff, and don't feel I need to. I intend to lose weight as long as I look good for my age and do not start getting too wrinkled; if I do, I'll stop there and just maintain. Probably I won't try to go smaller than a size 12 as I cannot afford to replace my wardrobe. That sums it up at three months in.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    My time was when I realized that I reached a weight that I said I would never get to! I also realized that I needed to make a change when I saw some VERY unflattering pictures my boyfriend had taken back in Jan. It was so difficult to look at them and realize that I was lying to myself when I said everything was fine. And last but not least, I realized that I was losing my ability to exercise. I couldn't do much of anything without huffing and puffing and I was shying away from activities with my friends because of my weight.

I weighed 235 pounds in January and am currently down 10 pounds as of today. I haven't stuck with my stuff as tight as I should (I still battle the emotional eating and the binging) but I'm realizing that I am getting older and that I can't keep living my life like this without consequences. My goal is to be to my first goal weight of 170 by May 2014. I have 55 pounds to lose to reach that goal. If I reach it sooner, great for me! If I exceed that goal, wonderful!! After that my ultimate goal weight is 140 pounds. That's how much I weighed when I was 19-20 and that is the healthiest weight for my height. It's a hard road, but it's even harder to take pills and be stuck at home alone and depressed!!

10 pounds gone forever is awesome and so is this post. Thanks so much for posting!!!! :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Success Stories
    Topic: Bitterness is really ugly & so"WAS" I-success stories pls!

WOW SO MANY INSPIRING STORIES, THANK YOU FOR SHARING,
    I WILL GET BACK TO THIS POST LATER, I NEED TO GET TO WORK RIGHT NOW.
    PLEASE STAY ON YOUR JOURNEY, WITH YOUR ACTION PLAN , AND TO A HEALTHY AND FIT YOU!
    WHAT AWESOME POST'S YOU HAVE ALL WRITTEN AND SHARED FROM THE HEART,

MAY YOU CONTINUE TO BE BLESSED,

XXX GG
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    My story is a little different. I never got into the obese stage...I got my wake-up call the last time I went home to see my family.

I look just like my father, and I mean that. If you put his picture at 18 and mine side by side, you'd think they were the same person. I joined the military at 17 and left home and have never gone back...now living on the east coast.

My father had double by-pass surgery at 42, and has been fighting his weight for a very long time. I never really paid much attention to it until the last time I went home.

There he was, over 300lbs 5'10" frame (same as me). My weight at that time was 205lbs. The largest I have ever been in my life. This was last summer when I saw him. He has since had to have another heart procedure and I honestly believe (and I wish I didn't), that he won't be around more than another 10 years at his current rate. I begged him while I was there to start doing some kind of exercise and to start eating less.

What made me decide I needed to think about ME was when my stepmother hugged me as I was leaving to come back home. She said "Oh, honey, you are just like your daddy. And you're following in his footsteps".

I didn't think much about it then, but on the drive home (8 hours) it occurred to me that she was "patting" my belly when she said that...so I realized then she was saying that I was literally going down the same path he did.

That scared me...hell it floored me a little! I decided right then I wasn't going to let that happen to me. I didn't find this site until October of last year, so I had already started to make some progress...I was 199lbs or so by that time. Using this site I went down to 192lbs, before the holidays hit and I let myself lapse.

I just recently decided (since my 40th birthday is the end of this month), that I'm not going to let myself waiver anymore, and I'm going to press until either my measurements put me in the "normal" weight range, or my weight does (I know if I start to put on muscle the "weight" may not actually be the right indicator)...So my goal is 179, that's where I leave the "over-weight" category.

I just can't let myself end up like my father. I just can't.

I still beg him whenever I call him to get on his treadmill for 10 minutes at a time once or twice a day...sadly I don't think he will ever do it. And I hate that I'm watching my father die before my eyes.

Wow, way to turn a scary negative into a powerful positive. Here's to you and I'll be hoping/praying for your beloved twin/your Daddy! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

Thank you ever so much for sharing--you ROCK!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options

Congratulations, it takes a lot of fortitude to call yourself out. Not only that, you acted on it and changed yourself. Way to go!
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My success story thus far...the story I am writting for myself is far from over but I will share how I got to where I am today!

Well to begin with, I took a glance in the mirror and did not like the appearance. Let me go back some...I've always did some form of exercise on and off my entire life. Yup I can say that I was truly a yo-yo dieter who didn't mind working out from time to time. I would not say that I have a food addiction but I do love to eat really good food. I am not and have never been a sugar addict either but a good cake, cookie or donut I would indulge in often. I also manage to go up 10 pounds and down 10 pounds quite easily but as the years progressed my weight was shifted and spreaded in areas that I'd preferred that it didn't and with that came the thought of not liking my appearance. So I decided to do something about this. I hit the gym and hit it pretty hard being a all or nothing kind of chick this was how I rolled. I started to loose weight scale wise but I still had tons of BF (body fat) which made it look as if I lost no weight at all. Back in early 2012 a co-worker briefly told me about her new primal/paleo lifestyle and how she started to lean out right away. But with this lifestyle came a lonnnnng list of foods she could not eat so I gently said "nope not for me". Oh I failed to mentioned I was already experimenting with IF (intermittent fasting) and allowing myself to slip in Ketosis from time to time as a way to jump start my fat loss. These things were working for the most part but I would eventually hit plateau's quickly and my weight loss would stall. By late 2012 I had started a new job which offered plenty of downtime during the day which led to hours and hours of weight loss research on my part. I googled and read just about everything related to exercising, eating, and dieting there was. To my surprise all points kept bringing me back to weight loss being 80% diet and 20% exercise. Which to me meant it's got to be what I am eating that's keeping me from shedding the weight, leaning out, and my overall BF%. As 2013 rolled in I was still hitting the gym hard and eating what I thought to be healthy and still getting no where really slow in terms of weight loss. I continued to research, google, and read countless post from weight loss forums which led me to www.marksdailyapple.com . Thus the "AH HA" moment occurred. I needed to get back to moving and eating as my ancestors did! To do this and make sure it was for me I rolled my sleeves up and digged further into the information given on the site which led me to further readings of various other sites such as www.everydaypaleo.com and www.Robbwolf.com. And so I started out on a 30 day primal/paleo journey. Right away I could tell the difference in my energy level, skin, hair and weght. I could go longer between meals and not feel like I was dying from starvation and people started complementing how lean and smaller I looked. At last I found what works for me. I even scaled back my exercise program and incorporated HIIT (high intensity interval training). I had found my niche and was not missing the grains, sugar, processed junk and carbs either. My new lifestyle is a work-in-progress (still putting a lil creamer in my coffee) but I now know I am on the right track and I encourage anyone to do your homework and find what works best for you.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    My success story thus far...the story I am writting for myself is far from over but I will share how I got to where I am today!

Well to begin with, I took a glance in the mirror and did not like the appearance. Let me go back some...I've always did some form of exercise on and off my entire life. Yup I can say that I was truly a yo-yo dieter who didn't mind working out from time to time. I would not say that I have a food addiction but I do love to eat really good food. I am not and have never been a sugar addict either but a good cake, cookie or donut I would indulge in often. I also manage to go up 10 pounds and down 10 pounds quite easily but as the years progressed my weight was shifted and spreaded in areas that I'd preferred that it didn't and with that came the thought of not liking my appearance. So I decided to do something about this. I hit the gym and hit it pretty hard being a all or nothing kind of chick this was how I rolled. I started to loose weight scale wise but I still had tons of BF (body fat) which made it look as if I lost no weight at all. Back in early 2012 a co-worker briefly told me about her new primal/paleo lifestyle and how she started to lean out right away. But with this lifestyle came a lonnnnng list of foods she could not eat so I gently said "nope not for me". Oh I failed to mentioned I was already experimenting with IF (intermittent fasting) and allowing myself to slip in Ketosis from time to time as a way to jump start my fat loss. These things were working for the most part but I would eventually hit plateau's quickly and my weight loss would stall. By late 2012 I had started a new job which offered plenty of downtime during the day which led to hours and hours of weight loss research on my part. I googled and read just about everything related to exercising, eating, and dieting there was. To my surprise all points kept bringing me back to weight loss being 80% diet and 20% exercise. Which to me meant it's got to be what I am eating that's keeping me from shedding the weight, leaning out, and my overall BF%. As 2013 rolled in I was still hitting the gym hard and eating what I thought to be healthy and still getting no where really slow in terms of weight loss. I continued to research, google, and read countless post from weight loss forums which led me to www.marksdailyapple.com . Thus the "AH HA" moment occurred. I needed to get back to moving and eating as my ancestors did! To do this and make sure it was for me I rolled my sleeves up and digged further into the information given on the site which led me to further readings of various other sites such as www.everydaypaleo.com and www.Robbwolf.com. And so I started out on a 30 day primal/paleo journey. Right away I could tell the difference in my energy level, skin, hair and weght. I could go longer between meals and not feel like I was dying from starvation and people started complementing how lean and smaller I looked. At last I found what works for me. I even scaled back my exercise program and incorporated HIIT (high intensity interval training). I had found my niche and was not missing the grains, sugar, processed junk and carbs either. My new lifestyle is a work-in-progress (still putting a lil creamer in my coffee) but I now know I am on the right track and I encourage anyone to do your homework and find what works best for you.

What a tremendous post and I'm thrilled you've finally discovered/are discovering a lifestyle program that you love and is working--that's just tremendous! Congrats on your success thus far and continued journey to slim and trim healthy inside and outside-dom--WOOT! :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Congratulations, it takes a lot of fortitude to call yourself out. Not only that, you acted on it and changed yourself. Way to go!

Absolutely agree with this! That fortitude business is the business...I love it!
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    - when I am happy with myself, I am kinder to the rest of the world -

Well said.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!