confused need help please

Options
ok so starting again im a failier i know , i have entered my weighty etc and mmp has given me 1200 cals i have been talking to ppl and they are saying that i need to change my goles to 1600 cals 40% carbs and 30% protien and 30% fat, my bmr is at 1208 acording to mmp. help me please im so confused and dont want to eat the wrong ammounts etc. Im 28 5ft 1 and 139 lbs thanks for taking the time to read

Replies

• Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Do a search for TDEE and read up a bit on it. You could also adjust your weight loss per week to up calories per MFP
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    the idea is that if your BMR is 1208 then your TDEE with exercise might be around 2000 cals or so (this all depends on what you do for a living/and how strenuous your workouts are) so if you eat around say 1500 then you would lose a pound a week.

You will read a lot of varying opinions, I personally know a girl with a substantial medical education who eats 700 cals a day and is perfect health hormone/blood level wise as well as with her vitals - but that isn't something everyone can do. Honestly its a lot of guesswork and playing around with your calories - MFP tells me I can eat around 2500-2700 calories a week and still burn a pound a week but I haven't found that to be true, 2700 seems to be my maintenance. Play around with it - biggest thing is consistency and accuracy just make sure you aren't overestimating your calorie burns from workouts/not logging the proper amount of food and the weight will come off.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    First...You are NOT a failure! If you are trying you have not failed. There is so much info out there that it weighs you down as to what, when and how you should eat. I think the amounts you have re good for a start. Try it for a week and then you can tweek it where you need to.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    ok so starting again im a failier i know , i have entered my weighty etc and mmp has given me 1200 cals i have been talking to ppl and they are saying that i need to change my goles to 1600 cals 40% carbs and 30% protien and 30% fat, my bmr is at 1208 acording to mmp. help me please im so confused and dont want to eat the wrong ammounts etc. Im 28 5ft 1 and 139 lbs thanks for taking the time to read

The 1600 cals likely comes from the TDEE method where you eat 1600 cals every day and do NOT eat back your exercise calories.

With the MFP method, it gives you a baseline of 1200 calories but you are supposesd to eat back your exercise calories. With this method your daily food intake will fluctuate so that on high burn days you might be eating around 2000 cals but on sedentary days you will eat only 1200 cals.

Which method you use is largely personal preference but many people prefer the TDEE method because it means you can eat the same amount every day.
  • QuinceyBethx3
    Options
    I am 5'7 and run about five miles a day. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and feel satisfied with it. If you feel like 1200 calories will get you through the day and give you the energy you need than go for it. For me it's working, so it might work for you as well.
  • butterflygirl2013
    Options
    First I agree with Sudmom. You are not a failure! Stop putting yourself down. You can be your own worst enemy or your own best friend. Only you can choose that. I too get a bit confused. Especially when I excercise and it adds to my calories per day. I wonder how I can keep up with my calorie intake if I already have trouble just getting in my regular daily amount. But you can do it. Just keep trying.
  • jencarlock
    jencarlock Posts: 2
    Options
    None of us are failures because we are trying even if we fall off the wagon we are here so we got back on and are still going it's a lifestyle change and you can do this.