Tofu, anyone?! (Need tofu recipes)

Options
srslybritt
srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
Hi!
I'm looking for good tofu recipes, as well as suggestions about how to buy (i.e. soft, extra firm). I'm a tofu newbie, but I know it can be a really great food to add to a normal diet. And, since I cook for myself most of the time, the sizes tofu come in are much more convenient than chicken and turkey. Input is welcome and encouraged! I'm not exceptionally picky, so please do share your favorite tofu recipes with me!!

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    For things like stir-fries and baked tofu dishes, buy extra firm tofu, wrap it in a dish towel and weight it with some books or other heavy things to get the water out. Then I usually give it a thin coating of corn starch and stir-fry in coconut oil with lots of veggies and serve over rice. You can also make delicious tofu scramble with the pressed tofu - crumble into chunks and cook in a pan with veggies and potatoes - sprinkle a little turmeric and nutritional yeast in there if you want a scrambled eggs sort of feel. Delicious, and good for you!

Remember that tofu is like a little sponge - you can marinate it in anything and bake or grill, like you would with poultry or beef.

If you want to blend it, buy silken tofu and don't press it. You can blend it with cocoa powder and sweetener for pudding, blend into smoothies to add protein and bulk, or add to miso soup.
  • hdean1989
    hdean1989 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    So I have only made tofu once. I use it to make tofu tacos. I just use taco seasoning and pan fry it and then I add beans, salsa, whatever else and it is pretty good!
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This sounds delish!

Hot and Sweet Marmalade Glazed Tofu
    http://www.veggiebelly.com/2012/06/hot-and-sweet-marmalade-glazed-tofu.html
  • srslybritt
    Options
    For things like stir-fries and baked tofu dishes, buy extra firm tofu, wrap it in a dish towel and weight it with some books or other heavy things to get the water out. Then I usually give it a thin coating of corn starch and stir-fry in coconut oil with lots of veggies and serve over rice. You can also make delicious tofu scramble with the pressed tofu - crumble into chunks and cook in a pan with veggies and potatoes - sprinkle a little turmeric and nutritional yeast in there if you want a scrambled eggs sort of feel. Delicious, and good for you!

Remember that tofu is like a little sponge - you can marinate it in anything and bake or grill, like you would with poultry or beef.

If you want to blend it, buy silken tofu and don't press it. You can blend it with cocoa powder and sweetener for pudding, blend into smoothies to add protein and bulk, or add to miso soup.

I just wanna say that your post was EXACTLY what I was looking for. :) Thank you for your help, all of you! I am feeling slightly more "inspired."
  • srslybritt
    Options
    This sounds delish!

Hot and Sweet Marmalade Glazed Tofu
    http://www.veggiebelly.com/2012/06/hot-and-sweet-marmalade-glazed-tofu.html

Oooooh, this does sound really good!
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    bump -- trying to add more into my diet as well... no idea where to start lol
  • srslybritt
    Options
    bump -- trying to add more into my diet as well... no idea where to start lol

Glad I'm not the only one, haha.
  • HappyCamper5166
    Options
    Somebody actually posted the following recipe last week, I tried it over the weekend (I'm vegan so LOVE having a meatless protein rich alternative) it was pretty good! The recipe is for tofu salad (think egg salad)

http://www.cheekykitchen.com/2012/03/the-quickest-vegan-meal-ever.html
  • srslybritt
    Options
    Somebody actually posted the following recipe last week, I tried it over the weekend (I'm vegan so LOVE having a meatless protein rich alternative) it was pretty good! The recipe is for tofu salad (think egg salad)

Every time someone tells me they're a vegetarian/vegan, I instantly admire them a little bit. But especially veganism. I don't have what it takes to do that. Props to you, and thanks for sharing! :)
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My fav recipe with tofu. I start the quinoa first so it can cook while I do everything else. This recipe is very flexible, so add or remove things as you like.

Homestyle Quinoa

1 cup quinoa
    2 cups water
    1 package firm tofu
    1 Cup Chick Peas
    1/2 large onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 red pepper, diced
    1 cup frozen corn, thawed
    vegetable broth or wine for sauteeing
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (start with 1/8 teaspoon and add as you like)
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    salt to taste
    Fresh Parsley, minced
    Fresh Cilantro, minced

In a non-stick dutch oven, saute the onion and garlic in veggie broth for two-three minutes.

Add the Tofu and Chick peas, breaking it up with the spatula as it cooks. (Use more veggie broth as needed).

Let this cook for about five minutes while you prepare the quinoa:
    Rinse the quinoa in cold water and drain. Bring the two cups water to boil and add the quinoa.

Cook 10-15 minutes, until quinoa has absorbed the water and you can see the white germ ring.

While the quinoa is cooking, add the remaining ingredients (except the spices) to the dutch oven and stir while cooking. When the quinoa is cooked, add it to the dutch oven and stir to combine.

Add herbs and spices and cook a few minutes more to soften the parsley. Taste and re-spice as needed.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    My #1 favorite tofu recipe, has convinced many a tofu hater. I get my lemongrass in a jar in the freezer section of the Asian supermarket - the stalks are never fresh. :happy:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spicy-Lemongrass-Tofu-233844

2 lemongrass stalks, outer layers peeled, bottom white part thinly sliced and finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
    1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 teaspoons chopped Thai bird chilies or another fresh chili
    1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    12 ounces tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    4 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1/2 yellow onion, cut into 1/8-inch slices
    2 shallots, thinly sliced
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    4 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
    10 la lot, or pepper leaves, shredded, or 2/3 cup loosely packed Asian basil leaves
    print a shopping list for this recipeview wine pairings

preparation

1. Combine the lemongrass, soy sauce, chilies, chili flakes, turmeric, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add the tofu cubes and turn to coat them evenly. Marinate for 30 minutes.
    2. Heat half of the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat. Add the onion, shallot and garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
    3. Wipe the pan clean and heat the remaining oil over moderate heat. Add the tofu mixture and, using chopstick or wooden spoons, turn so it cooks evenly, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onion mixture and cook, uncovered, for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add half the peanuts and all the pepper leaves.
    4. Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with the remaining peanuts and serve immediately with steamed rice.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spicy-Lemongrass-Tofu-233844#ixzz2S3qmVkEj
  • loragp
    loragp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump...for tofu inspiration. I used to cook and eat tofu regulary but somehow strayed away from it. I think it's because our local supermarket stopped carrying ORGANIC tofu, which is important when consuming soy products.

*Edited for spelling. Must remember to check spelling before posting comments.
  • patrickmathews
    Options
    I eat tofu 3-4 times a week. I like super spicy stuff so be warned! My favorite, easy tofu dish is Indian curry made with Patak curry paste. I used to make it per the directions on the jar but I have since modified it and substitute lots more stir fry veggies and skip serving it on rice. It really cuts back on calories to skip the rice that most people serve stir fry's over but to each they're own.

Patak curry can be bought in Indian stores and in some major grocery stores. It comes in various flavors - hot curry, vindaloo, madras etc... If you can find the Kashmiri flavor - it is my all time favorite and approaches nuclear level heat (again be warned). It cooks the same regardless of the flavor of curry that you use.

You can drain and press the water out of the tofu if you like - I do this sometimes but not always. It makes for a browner crispier tofu in the end if you do.

Chop up a block of tofu into small cubes.
    Chop a medium to large onion
    add tofu and onion to frying pan or wok - you need some oil but not a lot - I usually use a spray or two of pam.
    Cook on high heat until onions are mostly cooked and tofu is brown - you need to stir and make sure the tofu gets cooked on all or at least most sides.
    Add about 1/4 - 1/3 a jar of curry paste - sitr it around so it starts to cook and coats most of the tofu/onion mixture.
    Add a medium or large chopped tomato or a can of chopped tomato, reserving the water. Stir this in until it is well mixed.
    Add some of the tomato can water or tap water (not too much - about 1/4 - 1/3 cup is usually fine. Stir until you blend the curry paste with the liquid and it seems consistent and well blended.
    Add 2 cups or so of stir fry veggies (I use the frozen costco stir fry veggies). Mix well.
    Reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes or so until the liquid has evaporated a bit leaving a thicker curry sauce coating everything.

This dish from start to finish takes maybe 20-30 minutes and is very nutritious and delicious.
    You can serve it over rice, over spaghetti squash (surprisingly good - the sweet nuttiness of the squash is a great match).
    If it is not spicy enough for you, add some crushed red chili along with the curry paste. You can also add fresh diced jalapeno as well.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

Every time someone tells me they're a vegetarian/vegan, I instantly admire them a little bit. But especially veganism. I don't have what it takes to do that. Props to you, and thanks for sharing! :)

You never know until you try :)
  • srslybritt
    Options

You never know until you try :)

I stick to a mostly poultarian diet with few exceptions. I don't care for turkey, so mainly it's chicken that I end up eating. It never lasts long when I try to cut out animal by-products entirely, so I've just decided to stop trying to fool myself. :) The thing I had the hardest time with was finding vegetarian/vegan shampoos, soaps, cleaning products, etc. I have fallen into a groove of only using products that aren't tested on animals. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a brand that does it product-wide, so it all ends up in the mix anyway. (Plus, the ones that are certified cruelty-free are EXPENSIVE)
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Extra Firm Tofu, drained, wrapped in plastic & placed in freezer a few days. Remove & thaw, slice long way place in a 13x9 inch pan coated with a little Olive Oil and pour Barbeque Sauce over slices & bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 - 40 minutes, turning over slices half way thru......Talk about a Sweet Barbeque.....YUM! Who needs red meat when you have TOFU in the house :happy:
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Mousse
    So good and secretly healthy :smile:

1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree
    1/2 block soft/silken tofu (8 oz.), drained
    1 Tbsp. grade A Dark Amber (or your favorite) maple syrip
    1 1/2 Tbsp. sucanat or light brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 1/2 Tbsp. apple pie spice (or 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon + 3/4 tsp. ground allspice + 3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg)
    1/2 tsp. ground cloves
    1 tsp. ground ginger
    pinch of salt

1. Combine tofu and pumpkin puree in a food processor; process until smooth.
    2. Add maple syrup and brown sugar, and spices. Process until well incorporated.
    3. Taste, and add more sweetener or spice in small increments according to your preference for sweetness (and spiciness!).*
    4. Allow to set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving, but ideally overnight.
  • becka9266
    becka9266 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Look up the Tofu Guru youtube videos. They're dorky and high-schooler but the recipes are good.
    My favorite

1 cube of pressed tofu, cut into shapes of your liking,
    Put it in a baking dish/pan, spray or paint on some olive oil, and bake at 375 for 30 minutes
    Mix together a tablespoon of peanut butter, a tablespoon of soy sauce, and some lemon juice.
    Pull the tofu out and flip them, coat that side with the peanut butter sauce
    Back in the over for 15 minutes

This is an amazing snack, I use it for a quick protein boost whenever I can spare 70-100 calories.
  • dsherkow
    dsherkow Posts: 1
    Options
    tofu takes on the flavor of whatever you are making, you can marinate in soy, terriaki (sp sauce), broth, et. I pan fry (with very litlle olive oil,) and add veggies to the tofu after slightly browned. Garlic, onions, and whatever green veggies of choice is a good base. I eat the left over tofu for mid day snack the next day.