boring veggies

Options
my husband and i have recently started eating better and exercising. in fact, we're really getting into it. i do a majority of the cooking and i'm coming up short on what to do for side dishes. other than frozen peas, corn or broccoli (which corn and peas aren't really that awesome of veggies to begin with) i'm really out of ideas on what is tasty yet easy considering we have very busy lives.

what keeps everyone going and salivating?

Replies

• Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I love steamed green beans and fresh asparagus! Right now (physically RIGHT NOW) I'm munching on sliced raw green bell peppers. YUM!
    A good rule in my household is "Something raw at every meal"....carrots, green bell peppers, a salad, fruit....whatever. It's just a rule we live by to help live happier lives!
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i'm a brussel sprouts addict. so so so good.

roast them with coconut oil and some seasoning... mmm!
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    my husband and i have recently started eating better and exercising. in fact, we're really getting into it. i do a majority of the cooking and i'm coming up short on what to do for side dishes. other than frozen peas, corn or broccoli (which corn and peas aren't really that awesome of veggies to begin with) i'm really out of ideas on what is tasty yet easy considering we have very busy lives.

what keeps everyone going and salivating?

I'm currently eating some grilled chicken and steamed broccoli for lunch. I don't necessarily "salivate" over the broccoli but I eat it because I know it's good for me and I want to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

You could consider adding a baked potato or some brown rice with the veggies to spice things up a bit, but, ultimately, if you want to be healthy you're just going to have to learn to deal with veggies at lunch/dinner.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I love corn on the cob, grilled veggies (potato/fresh green beans/carrots etc), love spinach too for salads and sautéed in Pam spray We have salad as one side a few times/week. I tend to have a decent amount of the "bad" veggies (corn/potato) but it has worked well for me. Check out skinnytaste website too for ideas and good luck!
  • schramka41
    schramka41 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We steam cauliflower and put crushed red pepper on them to spice them up. We also grill asparagus and sprinkle a little (very little) parmesan cheese on them. Also, corn on the cob is a fan favorite...(no butter though)
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I loooooove steamed fresh broccoli with garlic salt. My mom used to buy the broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix in the frozen section, steam all of those, and add the garlic salt. Yummy.
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I put lemon juice on most of the green veggies I steam and that helps the taste a lot! Sauteed Kale, spinach. Steamed green beans and asparagus. I like sauteeing broccoli in a little teriyaki sauce with sesame seeds (great source of calcium). My recent fave is sauteed yellow squash in a little (just a little!) bit of butter. Try slicing up some peppers (all different colors) and having with some dip, or sauteeing them and add to sandwiches, tacos, etc. Sauteed eggplant or oven roasted eggplant is yummy.
  • lhopper54
    lhopper54 Posts: 1
    Options
    Bethany,

Try making Kale chips. They are fantastic and you can add your own spices.

Just spray Kale leaves with Pam, sprinkle your spice (I use cajun) place in the oven on a cookie sheet at 375 for about 10-12 minutes or until crisp.:smile:
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I grill veggies or roast them..YUM!
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Roasted cauliflower. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Try it with a little curry powder too.
    Baked sweet potatoes. (Bake them don't microwave them.)
    Fresh broccoli with salsa. Heck any veggie with salsa.
    Sauteed greens with feta cheese.
    Roasted green beans with balsamic vinager.
    Fresh sweet peas, cherry tomatoes, carrots. Make up some spinach dip using LF mayo and greek yogurt.
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love to chop up summer squash or zucchini and saute if in a pan with a little seasoning. Only takes a few minutes and there delish. Sometimes ill throw some chopped mushrooms, sun dried tomato's, or red bell peppers to liven things up :)
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what "boring veggies" means? :noway: LOL

Don't quit, just try different things. I grill a lot of my veggies! Raw works too..delightful.

Brocoli, Asparagus, Snap Peas (yum), Edamame, Cucumbers, Tomato, Fresh Cut Green Beans (never canned), Roasted Cauliflower is delightful and so yummy..you can even make them into "mashed taters". Delish MUSHROOMS are bomb!

If you need to dip them you can use Greek Yogurt. :wink:

Fruit is where I use to have problems but I am working those in too. Good luck! Just remember, veggies make your plate pretty and you'll be eating much better!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    With grilling season, I really enjoy veggie kebabs. Mushrooms, bell peppers, purple onions, zucchini, squash, and tomatoes spritzed with some oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Lemon goes very well with broccoli, so maybe a squeeze over the florets. I love asparagus, boiled lightly then shocked in ice water. Cumber salad (make your dressing with oil, vinegar, and herbs of choice).
  • MonaMel01
    MonaMel01 Posts: 18
    Options
    i'm a brussel sprouts addict. so so so good.

roast them with coconut oil and some seasoning... mmm!

Ditto on BSprouts. I cut mine in half, toss with a little EVOO, salt and pepper, then place on baking sheet (cut side down), steam (covered with foil) for about 45 minutes in a 400 degree oven, then remove the foil to get nice and brown on the cut side. DELICIOUS! I eat those almost every day!
  • mnmss2930
    mnmss2930 Posts: 55
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower---YUM!!! Steamed broccoli or raw, whichever is the preference. Some other favorites are steamed asparagus, cucumbers and raw spinach....Hmmmm...I seem to have a thing for green veggies :happy:
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Roasted cauliflower. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Try it with a little curry powder too.
    Baked sweet potatoes. (Bake them don't microwave them.)
    Fresh broccoli with salsa. Heck any veggie with salsa.
    Sauteed greens with feta cheese.
    Roasted green beans with balsamic vinager.
    Fresh sweet peas, cherry tomatoes, carrots. Make up some spinach dip using LF mayo and greek yogurt.

YUM!
  • JulieAnn1109
    JulieAnn1109 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Definaly asparagus!! My kids love it too! I just put a little olive oil and a few grates of fresh garlic in pan and simmer on low until they are tender!
    Also try fresh carrots and sliced cucumbers with hummus.
    The grill is a vegetables friend too! Corn on the cob is amazing grilled :bigsmile: as well as fresh squash, peppers, and zuchinni! You can just slice them up and wrap them in tinfoil and through them on while your are grilling your meat! Its a quick clean up too!

GOOD LUCK :smile:
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary, all I eat are veggies. And that is only a slight exaggeration. :flowerforyou:
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Zucchini - buy fresh or frozen, if fresh I cut them up then freeze them for later (especialy if I get them at a good price)
    Green Beans - Cook mine either steamed or oven roasted with a little EVOO and seasonings
    Sweet peppers - again I buy fresh and cut them up and freeze them
    Broccoli - love oven roasting them, still has a crunch to them this way

Any of these I steam, oven roast, grill or saute
  • kharper85
    kharper85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sriracha sauce makes everything better :) nutrional yeast is also good on veggies!
    Asparagus drizzled lightly with EVOO and sprinkle some garlic powder and some fresh cracked pepper... SO good!!!
    Brussels sprouts halved, sautéed with some onions, EVOO, and turkey bacon bits