boring veggies

Options

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I would get a cookbook (something like the Joy of Cooking) and just work my way through the veg dishes. It's easier to shop if you have a recipe in mind than if you start with the vegetable, especially if you don't know how to eat it in the first place.
  • Nelliebird1430
    Options
    A great side I've made to switch things up is zucchini and/ yellow squash sliced in rounds and simmered with green chilis and sprinkled with little bit of lite shredded cheese. Great flavor and makes you think you're eating something bad, but it's really not! :smile:
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    BBQ. The BBQ always makes my veggies taste more interesting. I cut them up large enough to not fall through the grill, and then toss with olive oil and pepper and a little salt. Presto and done. They cook real quick too. Normally it's peppers, asparagus, zucchini, all the tasty stuff!
  • Nelliebird1430
    Options
    Also toasted brussels sprouts! Just toss with a tiny amount of olive oil and tiny sprinkle of salt and broil them till crisp! Mmm Mmm!!
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    bump, ideas look amazing!
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    We do a lot of raw veggies at our house--Carrots, broccoli, snap peas, etc. And all of us, including my kids, will take salad any time (usually with a vinaigrette or ranch dressing). You don't always have to go with cooked veggies. Get creative and buy the veggies that are in season.

If you like mushrooms, you can simmer them in broth (I like beef or veggie broth best) with garlic, Italian Seasoning, and black pepper. It makes a yummy mushroomy soup. Sometimes I add onions too. We all love it.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You're pretty safe roasting up some greens with a bit of oil or butter, salt, pepper, and garlic. Some vinegar and lemon usually goes over well too. I also like caramelizing onions in a bit of agave nectar, a bit of oil or butter (I prefer without, but I fix my boyfriend's with butter or olive oil) and some grated ginger. When the onions are almost done caramelizing, add in some carrots. Bell peppers stuffed with some eggplant or meat, onion, tomato, and feta is yummy too.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i love squash and aubergine so good from the wok or baked

edit* forgot spinach with some onions and scrambled eggs on the side nom
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Saute yellow squash, zucchini, onion and mushrooms in 1-2TBSP olive oil. Season (garlic powder), throw in some fresh rosemary/thyme/other herbs. - DELISH!
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Grilled zuchinni and yellow squash... YUM! Season it with salt and pepper and there you go!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It definitely sounds like you need to branch out a bit with your diet. There are so many other vegetable choices!

Right now I'm having garlic green beans. It's so easy! A little oil in the pan, toss in a handful or two or three of green beans (fresh or frozen), toss to coat with oil, cover and allow to cook for 5-10 minutes, until desired texture. I like tender-crisp. Today I have garlic salt and lemon pepper on mine. Oh, and when I have lemons, I squeeze about half a lemon over them before I cover the pan.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Root veggies! I love to roast parsnips, carrots and shallots (mix with a little olive oil, salt & pepper)! I could eat an entire batch without blinking an eye.
    Beets - I hated beets growing up (canned beets? YUK), but on a whim I bought golden beets, roasted them with parsnips (see a trend?) and it was amazing. CPK has a roasted beet salad that is amazing and easy to make at home - roast purple and golden beets, mix with arugula or any salad choice, top with any cheese choice, a few pine nuts or sunflower seeds and drizzle with olive oil.
    I'd suggest going to a farmers market and asking the vendors for ideas! Also look at vegetarian/vegan cook books too!

I'll second the roasted root vegetables. Roasted parsnips are amazing--so sweet. They're great with over-easy eggs. Chilled roasted beets are great on salads.

Don't know if anyone mentioned sauteed spinach (in EVOO), w/ garlic, lemon juice, sea salt. Also great way to make kale, Swiss chard, and other similar leafy greens.
  • bethanylerew
    bethanylerew Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the great ideas, peeps! so many yummy recipes in hand will help kick our dinners up a notch!
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Root veggies! I love to roast parsnips, carrots and shallots (mix with a little olive oil, salt & pepper)! I could eat an entire batch without blinking an eye.
    Beets - I hated beets growing up (canned beets? YUK), but on a whim I bought golden beets, roasted them with parsnips (see a trend?) and it was amazing. CPK has a roasted beet salad that is amazing and easy to make at home - roast purple and golden beets, mix with arugula or any salad choice, top with any cheese choice, a few pine nuts or sunflower seeds and drizzle with olive oil.
    I'd suggest going to a farmers market and asking the vendors for ideas! Also look at vegetarian/vegan cook books too!

I'll second the roasted root vegetables. Roasted parsnips are amazing--so sweet. They're great with over-easy eggs. Chilled roasted beets are great on salads.

Don't know if anyone mentioned sauteed spinach (in EVOO), w/ garlic, lemon juice, sea salt. Also great way to make kale, Swiss chard, and other similar leafy greens.

Ooh, yum. Mom (and now I) always make(s) roasted roots, especially when making a whole chicken. They soak up the flavor of the chicken juices, and they cook, and it's just... mmm.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Grilled zuchinni and yellow squash... YUM! Season it with salt and pepper and there you go!

Another favorite. If I have time, I'll salt the slices first and let them drain in a colander, then rinse off the salt, pat dry, and proceed with cooking (toss with some EVOO and pan sear first side, then saute the rest).
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower can be made very low-fat/low carb etc, and it tastes better than any buttered up mashed potatoes I've ever had!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I LOVE veggies. I just ate some rutabagas and black eyed peas for lunch. mmmm....mmmmm....

Some of our favorites for dinner are:
    Baked sweet potatoes - grease up in olive oil and pumpkin pie spice and bake in foil
    Smashed cauliflower - steam for a long time in chicken broth, drain, and smash with laughing cow and spices
    Grilled asparagus - tossed in olive oil and sea salt then grill or bake
    Oven fried okra - tossed in olive oil, salt, and sometimes Cajun seasoning then baked in oven about 30 mins at 400
    Honey broccoli and carrots - sauté them in garlic, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes, then steam them, then add 1 tbsp honey
    Baked or grilled cabbage - Cut the cabbage into sections, then drizzle with oil, lemon juice, spices, bacon bits, parmesan, etc.
    Spaghetti Squash - put in crockpot with water, cook on low for 6 hours, cut open, pull out "guts", eat "noodles" with spaghetti sauce
    Sautéed spinach - sauté with mushrooms, red bell pepper, dried cranberries...whatever you like
    Summer squash - either sautéed then steamed in chicken broth OR baked in oven with olive oil and preferred spices

Just find a spice you really like and use it to roast any veggies in the oven. We really like lemon pepper, but some might prefer garlic or paprika.

There are also those dishes that incorporate veggies in with the meat, like fajitas or a good balsamic strawberry spinach salad. Oh! And sweet potatoes and carrots are delicious in chili or stews. Once I made a Moroccan stew with them and curry type spices and it was delicious! Good luck!

Two pages and this is the first mention of squash? Oh the humanity!

Seriously, though, even if you "don't really like squash", give spaghetti squash a try. It's called spaghetti squash for a reason, and not just because the meat is noodley. It pretty much has the same texture and taste (or lack thereof) as pasta noodles, but is so much better for you (vitamins, go go!). I personally cut them in half or quarter and take out the pulp, then steam them, then pull out the meat. You really can't go wrong with it, though, from what I've read, it does just fine steamed, boiled, or microwaved.

Also, stuffed bell peppers are awesome. Get a couple of bell peppers of your favorite color, cut them in two, stuff with whatever fillings you want (hey, look! an opportunity to hide more veggies!), then bake or grill them until the stuffing is cooked.
  • Bestshot
    Bestshot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat many more fresh vegetables when they are convenient. What makes the most difference for me is to cruise the produce section, load up on my salad stuff, and snag whatever else looks fresh and different. "Different" helps beat the boredom.

As soon as possible I wash and cut up EVERYTHING at one time and seal each item separately in zipper bags. When you get home during the week you can quickly throw together a salad, and it makes vegetables much easier to snack on through the day.

Also, for convenience, you just can't beat the microwave. Put your pre-chopped vegetables into a covered glass casserole with about a tablespoon or so of water and zap by the minute until they are cooked to your preference. It's the fastest, easiest way to steam vegetables with NO fats added. I steam fish filets (tilapia, catfish, flounder) this way, too. Just pull them out while they're slightly undercooked. They will continue to cook a little in the covered casserole.

One last suggestion. If there's a Farmer's Market near you please give them your patronage. It's so nice buying "homegrown" vegetables. They taste wonderful and you'll help a local farmer stay in business. Yes, I know some "farmers markets" don't buy all their produce from local families, but many do. Just ask them where their vegetables are grown.
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer my veggies raw (with just a *couple* of exceptions) due to taste and texture, but there are some good suggestions in this thread (and this particular post below).
    I LOVE veggies. I just ate some rutabagas and black eyed peas for lunch. mmmm....mmmmm....

Some of our favorites for dinner are:
    Baked sweet potatoes - grease up in olive oil and pumpkin pie spice and bake in foil
    Smashed cauliflower - steam for a long time in chicken broth, drain, and smash with laughing cow and spices
    Grilled asparagus - tossed in olive oil and sea salt then grill or bake
    Oven fried okra - tossed in olive oil, salt, and sometimes Cajun seasoning then baked in oven about 30 mins at 400
    Honey broccoli and carrots - sauté them in garlic, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes, then steam them, then add 1 tbsp honey
    Baked or grilled cabbage - Cut the cabbage into sections, then drizzle with oil, lemon juice, spices, bacon bits, parmesan, etc.
    Spaghetti Squash - put in crockpot with water, cook on low for 6 hours, cut open, pull out "guts", eat "noodles" with spaghetti sauce
    Sautéed spinach - sauté with mushrooms, red bell pepper, dried cranberries...whatever you like
    Summer squash - either sautéed then steamed in chicken broth OR baked in oven with olive oil and preferred spices

Just find a spice you really like and use it to roast any veggies in the oven. We really like lemon pepper, but some might prefer garlic or paprika.

There are also those dishes that incorporate veggies in with the meat, like fajitas or a good balsamic strawberry spinach salad. Oh! And sweet potatoes and carrots are delicious in chili or stews. Once I made a Moroccan stew with them and curry type spices and it was delicious! Good luck!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of one pot meals like stew which makes it easy to just throw in veggies. My beef stew has more carrots, onions, mushrooms and peas than it does beef. I'll make chicken enchiladas, but the filling is a combination of chicken, corn and zucchini.