New jogger at 53

ok...i'm 52.5...
I've never run before in my life - I swim.
In fact, I swim nearly 4miles a week - so I have stamina and air. But no legs.

I have new shoes (got on the tread mill and everything to get a good pair).
I have a training app on my iPhone. (C25K great app!!)
I have signed up for a 5k (for modivation) later this spring/summer.

What else should I do/know?

Thanks!

Replies

• iangale7
    iangale7 Posts: 3 Member
    The only thing to be aware of that I've found when jogging outside is learn to relax no body is watching you so go slow relax and enjoy it.
  • corderdeb
    corderdeb Posts: 57 Member
    bump
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    The only thing I'd want to tell you is....Age has nothing to do with anything ( I'm 55 and just finished my first 1/2 marathon) Just get outside and enjoy !!
  • corderdeb
    The only thing I'd want to tell you is....Age has nothing to do with anything ( I'm 55 and just finished my first 1/2 marathon) Just get outside and enjoy !!

GOOD FOR YOU!
  • kstahlke
    kstahlke Posts: 11 Member
    The main thing I would add is - don't worry about pace. Now is not the time to think about speed. Go slowly enough that you enjoy it. That will keep you running for the long run. You can worry about speed later.

Other things to consider:
    Find a running partner. So great to keep eachother accountable and it makes the run more enjoyable.
    Join a running club or social runs. So fun!
    Enjoy it. It is so fun.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Honestly I'd run outside if you can.
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    My advice would be-

1. Follow the app, you are going to have good weeks and bad weeks
    2. Buy some moisture wicking running clothes, there's nothing worse than sweating in a cotton shirt.
    3. Sign up for a race to keep your motivation- I see you did that already so kudos to you.
    4. Have run and don't worry about your age it's just a number.
  • corderdeb

LOL...yeah today is my day to run...and it's snowing (that's spring in Colorado for you)!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    As someone who just started, my goal is to run every day. After I finished my regular gym work out, I just go round the 1/4 mile track. I do a combination of walking and running. My goal is to do a full quarter mile of running at some point in time.

I like the indoor track since I think it is easier of the knees and there are fewer distractions.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Go easy. Go slow. Most new runners get shin splints at some time, or some other repetitive use-type injury. Because you are in shape from swimming, you are a perfect risk for going harder than your body can tolerate.
    At 53, when you get injuries, it takes forever to heal. Trust me, I know this.
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    C25K is a great program. I did it when I was 50 and I'm still running. All the advise you've gotten here is good. I would add that the program works so take it easy, go slow and don't be afraid to move on to the next week. If you can finish the last day of the week perfectly, move on. I found that the C25K forums were great because everyone is in the same boat you're in. I guess you can say there is comfort in numbers! You'll do fine, enjoy!

BTW, good sports bra and shoes are a priority.
  • TJMiddaugh
    TJMiddaugh Posts: 67 Member
    if you can i highly advise you find a running partner. someone to be accountable too. helps alot. someone who is a better runner will get you up to speed faster than trying to muster it alone. but even someone who is just starting also will do. be prepared for bumps and bruises, but nothing in life thats worth while is typically easy. you can use it as a ranting session (with a partner) haha always a good way to get rid of negative energy. turn a negative into a positive. funny how certain things in life sort of bottle you all up to a boiling point sometimes, but when i go for a run it all goes away. things just dont seem as hard when your done running... and yes, find a place outdoors. preferably with a low impact surface. high school track, or out door track with like bark shavings or something. nice to experience all the seasons. continuous grinding away on pavement is the worst. save that for your events. good luck to you!!
  • corderdeb
    C25K is a great program. I did it when I was 50 and I'm still running. All the advise you've gotten here is good. I would add that the program works so take it easy, go slow and don't be afraid to move on to the next week. If you can finish the last day of the week perfectly, move on. I found that the C25K forums were great because everyone is in the same boat you're in. I guess you can say there is comfort in numbers! You'll do fine, enjoy!

BTW, good sports bra and shoes are a priority.
    [/quote

The sports bra was the first purchase...for me even more important than shoes! Thanks for the advice. :)]
  • neil4ad
    neil4ad Posts: 42 Member
    In terms of what you should know....has anyone mentioned stretching? Jogging is much higher impact than swimming, so a good stretch before and after are key.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Some of your favorite music that has a medium tempo is good too. Music is what I love about running, just makes it that much better, especially when you are outside on a nice day. I am a swimmer too, and always have been. Started running a year ago, and I love it. I found it hard to slow myself down enough to go farther. Having a heart rate monitor is really important for this. If your heart rate gets up there, slow it down and walk for a bit, then when your heart rate drops enough, then start running again. This will teach you how to keep a good pace and be aware of your body. Took awhile to get use to this and just enjoy the walking too. Some days I like walking more than running, and will just walk really fast.
  • CCNYE63
    CCNYE63 Posts: 64 Member
    I'm 50 and just finished C25K. I agree with everyone who says "Take it slow." I moved through the program slowly, too, doing every week 2 times before moving on. Take extra care on cold and snowy days, which are hopefully over now! I do my 5 minute warm ups indoors when it's cold otherwise I have trouble with my hamstring. I like to do some easy yoga moves to stretch out after too. seems to make my muscles and joints feel better. While I love to be outside, somedays I like the treadmill as it's more forgiving than the hard pavement.

For motivation, I signed up for Runner's World's motivational quote of the day email. I also bought a few issues of the magazine as it makes me feel like I can be a runner. Their online forums are great too.

Have fun and good luck!
  • corderdeb
    I'm 50 and just finished C25K. I agree with everyone who says "Take it slow." I moved through the program slowly, too, doing every week 2 times before moving on. Take extra care on cold and snowy days, which are hopefully over now! I do my 5 minute warm ups indoors when it's cold otherwise I have trouble with my hamstring. I like to do some easy yoga moves to stretch out after too. seems to make my muscles and joints feel better. While I love to be outside, somedays I like the treadmill as it's more forgiving than the hard pavement.

For motivation, I signed up for Runner's World's motivational quote of the day email. I also bought a few issues of the magazine as it makes me feel like I can be a runner. Their online forums are great too.

Have fun and good luck!

I live in the Colorado Rockies....we're getting 5-6 inches right now (nasty drive home). I like the idea of doing each week twice. I'm not a fast runner mostly because I don't trust myself not to fall. I feel very weak in the legs. :(
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272

LOL...yeah today is my day to run...and it's snowing (that's spring in Colorado for you)!

I'm in Buffalo. I feel your pain lol
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    i find no exercise more relaxing or fulfilling than running...i run alone because i like the peace and quiet to think and plus i go at my pace for the distance i want.....you will soon learn that it is awesome!!!!!!!
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    I have never heard anyone else discuss this issue I have: no matter how long/far I eventually am able to cover, I struggle through the 1st mile. I just can't seem to get my breathing in rhythm and my lungs "opened" up enough to breathe as deeply as I need. I have learned to just power through that first mile, and I'm fine. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but wondered if the OP should keep an eye out for this too.