Oatmeal... that doesn't taste like paste?

Options

Replies

• adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I add about a tablespoon of almond butter to mine and it's awesome.
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Try Bob's Red Mill 5 grain. Like Oatmeal only firmer and much more taste. I add yogurt and some fruit.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Apples and cinnamon is nice and can taste like apple pie! Or honey and raspberries which I love. Peanut butter? Cocoa powder
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I add unsweetened apple sauce and a butt load of cinnamon. MmmMmMm.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've been eating steel cut oats and putting them into the crock pot overnight with apples, maple syrup (better than white sugar IMHO), cinnamon and vanilla extract.

Simple and I don't have to lift a finger before I've had my coffee.

1886_zpsc7f7d3c6.jpg

THat looks mad crazy delicious.
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    New to oatmeal here! Awesome ideas! Thanks!
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Apples and cinnamon is nice and can taste like apple pie! Or honey and raspberries which I love. Peanut butter? Cocoa powder

Okay obviously I'm going to have to try the honey and raspberries soon. That sound good.
  • Fitmom2b2012
    Options
    You could try it raw with a little milk, honey and fruit. I like it raw a lot better than cooked. I hate the texture of cooked oatmeal.
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Don't make it with water... it tastes vile that way. Some kind of milk (cow's, soy, almond, whatever you like) improves it a lot. Also add spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla or almond extracts. Toasted nuts also add nice crunchy texture. You can use your favorite dried fruit for sweetness.
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Oops double post
  • tobiAnn_
    tobiAnn_ Posts: 9
    Options
    I cook it with milk then add a dash of salt and a dash of sugar. Raisin's are always a good add as well. Not a fan of the banana's. Banana's are already mushy enough, then you want to add it to *oatmeal* ?? Also, sometimes to switch it up, if I don't want to add sugar.. i'll add honey or cinnamon.. virtually the same thing tho
  • tobiAnn_
    tobiAnn_ Posts: 9
    Options
    I've been eating steel cut oats and putting them into the crock pot overnight with apples, maple syrup (better than white sugar IMHO), cinnamon and vanilla extract.

Simple and I don't have to lift a finger before I've had my coffee.

1886_zpsc7f7d3c6.jpg

** drooling ** that looks ssooooo good!
  • Elpaw4mbv
    Elpaw4mbv Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened applesauce rather than water or milk, with an oz. of chopped nuts (I like walnut) and cinnamon. If you really can't stand the oatmeal but want a grain - try barley or quiona. Dried fruit is really good with all of them and adds just enough sweet so that its more of a sweet and savory thing rather than a breakfast cereal sweet thing.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I've sweetened mine with 1/2 Tb sugar free instant pudding - any flavor you like... then add PB, banana, apples, cinnamon, etc. if you'd like.
  • purpadillo
    purpadillo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter with my oatmeal or blueberries. I also like to make it with vanilla almond, soy, or coconut milk.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Steel cut isn't paste like, in my experience. Make it with milk then stir in bacon. Makes oatmeal amazing. Turkey bacon if you must, but I like thick cut peppered bacon. Savory oatmeal is nice.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I do hate oatmeal, with a passion. but I want to ditch the Slim Fast shakes I've been drinking for breakfast (and which fill me up, but are loaded with sugar).

Why does it have to be oatmeal you switch to? If you hate it, why bother? What about eggs/egg whites, yogurt and fruit, a sandwich, chicken breast, anything you actually enjoy eating? I love to nuke some egg whites into a patty and stick on a whole wheat English muffin or some rye bread with some cheese and/or bacon/turkey sausage. An egg scramble with lots of veggies is awesome as well. lately I've been doing wraps: a wrap with 1 wedge of Laughing Cow cheese spread on and some egg whites, with or without a turkey sausage patty.

^^THIS all of that sounds so yummy and I can attest to the fillingness of it all and some of what I make doesn't even have sausage/bacon. I adore rye toast, too. That on it's own is super filling.

If you hate oatmeal that much don't eat it. However, if you've only ever made it with water try milk. I say this because I really hate oatmeal made with water but love it with milk. And other things like fruit, cinnamon, maple syrup. Also the texture of oatmeal has to be really thick and almost chewy. I don't like runny, thin oatmeal.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I hate oatmeal too, so for awhile I would make onigiri (riceballs) the night before and stick 'em in the fridge. I love rice.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I don't like adding things to food. Since you have to add crap to oatmeal to make it palatable I just don't bother.
  • amaranthine1018
    Options
    I despise plain oatmeal, too...don't mind the flavored stuff, but even then it's very low on my list of preferred breakfast foods.