MFP'ers: OPINIONS PLEASE!!! Best H/R Monitor?

Options
Ok. So I have a LITTLE extra dough, and would like to get a h/r monitor to more accurately track calories burned during cardio. I like the wristwatch ones but have no idea which is best. Please tell me what has worked for you?

My main features needed:

> Economical
> Reasonably Durable
> Track at least Heart Rate AND Calories Burned
> Reasonably User Friendly

Thanks guys! :glasses:

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60 with GPS. Probably more than you need, but the Polar F6 meets all the criteria you listed. It has a chest strap for the most accurate measurement of HR and calories. Polar is known to have some of the most accuract calculations programmed into the watch for calories burned.

The watch is very durable and looks good enough to be worn as a day to day watch without being to big. I found the programming of the watch very intuitive and their support and technical staff is awesome (get a real person on the phone).

Economical: you can get them on ebay and amazon for good prices. Sports stores tend to sell them for a bit more. You can also find them on Overstock.com sometimes for a good price.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I have the polar FT7. It was very easy to set up. Comes with a chest strap. I use it for walking and working out using Wii active sports as well as a DVD workout. So far to me it seems accurate.
  • bjerkins
    bjerkins Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There are so many out there. I have a Polar F6 and love it. Check out the Polar website and do some comparison shopping. The web tells you all you need to know. My strongest suggestion would be to use a chest strap. Just the watch cannot accurate track anything. The HRM will make you challenge yourself and I love/hate that. Happy shopping.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll get lots of votes for a Polar, but I have a Ekho E-300 that I found on ebay for $15. It's a watch and chest strap (which will be much more accurate that one that is only a wristwatch - I've had both). It's very user friendly, allows you to set your age, gender, weight, activity, target heart rate, etc., and tracks your avg and max heart rates, time spend under, in and below target zone, and calories. It's supposed to be water resistant, but haven't tested that. Love it!
  • kristykritter
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 and love it. It is compatible with the equipment at my gym and takes my heart rate automatically on any of the cardio equipment.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT7. It was very easy to set up. Comes with a chest strap. I use it for walking and working out using Wii active sports as well as a DVD workout. So far to me it seems accurate.

same one I have, I would recommend it
  • shules82
    shules82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow... Thanks guys! This is really going to help. I am glad I found out about the chest strap thing.
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Gotta be polar F7
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I will be watching this post - plan on ordering one tomorrow. Currently considering Polar F7 :)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    polar f6 for me and love it!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60 with GPS. Probably more than you need, but the Polar F6 meets all the criteria you listed. It has a chest strap for the most accurate measurement of HR and calories. Polar is known to have some of the most accuract calculations programmed into the watch for calories burned.

The watch is very durable and looks good enough to be worn as a day to day watch without being to big. I found the programming of the watch very intuitive and their support and technical staff is awesome (get a real person on the phone).

Economical: you can get them on ebay and amazon for good prices. Sports stores tend to sell them for a bit more. You can also find them on Overstock.com sometimes for a good price.

I have the FT60 too and I LOVE it! I've had a few others (another Polar, and a Mio from WalMart) and the FT60 is much better than the others. However, I paid $190 for it, and you can get a good watch without all the bells and whistles for much less. Amazon.com has a lot of helpful reviews so you can make sure you're getting the watch with the features you want.
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    love love love my FT7
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Gotta be polar F7
    Yup me too, that's what I'm going with! Looks like they run about $100 and and can also be used in water for swimming. If you take a look at the Polor site and what looks to be what most of your suggestions on here are. You can look up the various models suggested to keep it in your price range and see what doo-dads on the HRM are on your GOTTA HAVE list and go from there.

I found it a bit overwhelming until I finally narrowed it down and started asking those that had this particular model why they liked it best.

Anything Polar is pretty popular with the masses on MFP but sounds like others also like a few other brands.

Have fun, good luck!
    Invest well :drinker:
    Becca:flowerforyou: