core strengthening help.

Options
Hi, I'm still pretty new to this but am doing well. I'm looking for help with regards to doing core strength exercises. I'm currently doing 30ds level 2 day 1 tomorrow. I have a yoga mat and two 1.5kg weights and my own body weight 157lbs I work out at home and can't afford the gym and have no money or space for more equipment I enjoy yoga. Basically can someone direct me to a DVD,book, website with exercises I can do for core strength any help is appreciated. :)

Replies

• eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think planks are great for core. Have you tried that?
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    Go to youtube and search for core yoga. Enjoy!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    here are a bunch of different exercises. Some with weights and some without.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZmOP83Q9bk
  • Sobeeit
    Sobeeit Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    http://www.onlineclasses.org/2010/01/10/100-easy-and-awesome-exercises-you-can-do-in-your-dorm/ has some pretty good exercises that don't require much equipment.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Pilates. There are lots of DVD options out there for Pilates which is awesome core training.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Another vote for planks! Regular, sides, whatever.
    Also those large inflatable exercise balls are great. I love rolling out and doing push-ups on them.
    Good for your core and arms!

Also if you feel like spending a little more money Kettlebells work your core too.
    :happy:
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Take a look at yoga today.com Even if you don't want to join, you can still view the free weekly class. You can also Google "yoga core" and come up with a bunch of stuff. Two I saw were:

http://yourbuddhi.com/yoga-for-core-strength

http://voices.yahoo.com/using-yoga-build-core-strength-5-powerful-moves-10214023.html
  • rbro1979
    rbro1979 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Here's the best core exercises to start with...all completely free!

First find a pull up bar in your area. You need to be able to hang from it and feet not touch the ground. You could use, for example, a playground climbing frame (although try and use it when no kids are about or they may think you a little strange) or a low branch on a tree, we used to use a cross bar on a bus stop.

Here's what to do:

10 (or as many as possible) pull ups over or under hand grip. Start from hanging straight arms and pull chin over bar.
    10 leg raises (Hang from bar and lift legs above head) If this is too tough you can start by pulling your knees up to your chest.
    10 leg extensions. Hang from the bar lift your knees up and try to extend them out and back in.
    Add 50 push ups and 50 tricep dips to the mix and you've got a good core workout.

The leg raise/extension bit is better for your core than 1000's of sit ups...speaking from experience, best abs exercise I've ever done, and I've done most. If you enjoy them get a door gym (pull up bar that clips over your door frame...worth their weight in gold and only costs about £10)

All the best.

Russ x
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all so much. getting right on all of this, for the pull ups that I think will be a goal to work towards
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Nike Training Club App for women is a great free app and they incorporate all kinds of circuit training moves you can do with little eqpmt in your home (or substitute what you do have).

Also, Challenge Groups like the NoNonsense 30 Day Challenge here on MFP has great core moves in those sets.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks - my flat is small, I don't fancy the gym, and I'm looking for uncomplicated strength exercises to do at home. I'll look into all of these suggestions.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I HATE them, but planks do wonders! At least you can aim to build your time up.

Crunches, sit ups, reverse crunches...