Lowest Calorie Subway Bread?

Options

Replies

• Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i have checked and i used to eat here ALOT. the italian is the least. wheat and flatbread it about 10 more calories than the italian
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Ok. I went on there. I picked the veggie delite and then unchecked all of the veggies, no cheese, no dressings, no sauces. Italian is the lowest with 210 calories for a 6". Wheat is 220. Highest is 9 grain Honey Oat with 270.
    That was really kind of you to look it up for her and others that were curious.:flowerforyou: This can be the most helpful site sometimes!!:happy:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    If you want even less calories in the bread ask to have it "scooped". They scoop out a portion of the bread and it's the shell that's left.

didn't even think of this--great idea! Thanks!
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I usually opt for the wheat is it's a more complex card than the white bread in spite of the cals.

I also get the wheat...lowest cal doesn't always mean the best.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I was there yesterday and the nutritional pamphlet said to go with the Italian or wheat bread when watching calories.

This made me sad because I love the honey oat. :(

Have the honey oat and ditch the mayo :-) Viola!
  • Whimpy10
    Whimpy10 Posts: 20
    Options
    If you want even less calories in the bread ask to have it "scooped". They scoop out a portion of the bread and it's the shell that's left.
    I am gonna try to ask for them to scoop it for me. I hope the one in my small town really does that.
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    It's really low quality bread, regardless. I used to work at a Subway -- all of the bread comes frozen in huge boxes containing 70 pieces each, which sit in the freezer for weeks before we end up using them. We let them thaw, roll them in seasoning if they're to be honey oat or herbs and cheese, let them rise rise, and throw them in the oven. I can't imagine there's much nutrition left in something that's so processed and frozen.

Except for the peppers, cucumbers, and tomatos, all of the veggies came prepackaged too.

There are much better options for lunch :S
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you love Subway like I love Subway (and that is a lot), the international website has a nutritional calculator.
    You actually build your own sub using your bread, type of sub, sauce, cheese type and all of your veggies and it gives you the nutritional information for it. I like it better than a chart... some of their nutritional info doesn't include cheese or my beloved fat-laden southwest sauce.

http://www.freshenergy.com/committofit/?p=nutrimeter&i=0

Edited to add, if that link doesn't work, go to http://www.freshenergy.com/committofit/ and click "start" on the Nutrimeter.
    I've just done up my favourite sub with and without the sauce I like in my "My Foods" section so if I get one I can just pop it in. For me it's a much better option when we don't want to cook... I have to walk to go get it and there's more veggies...
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    It's really low quality bread, regardless. I used to work at a Subway -- all of the bread comes frozen in huge boxes containing 70 pieces each, which sit in the freezer for weeks before we end up using them. We let them thaw, roll them in seasoning if they're to be honey oat or herbs and cheese, let them rise rise, and throw them in the oven. I can't imagine there's much nutrition left in something that's so processed and frozen.

Except for the peppers, cucumbers, and tomatos, all of the veggies came prepackaged too.

There are much better options for lunch :S
    I agree, for myself I prefer making my own foods rather than picking them up.

Please don't bash me sharing that, I'm merely giving my own opinion.:flowerforyou: BUT if you're going to go fast food it's good to look into options like you're doing with the breads etc.:happy:
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    It's the Italian bread . If you have a smart phone then download this free app called LOSE IT. When u go to the app you can then customize your foods to get cals. I do this for subway and chiptole it breaks it down by every item then I get the total cal and create my food on MFP and add the cals to my diary here. Let me know how u like it. Feel free to inbox me what u think of it. They might also have a website I think try looking up WWW.lose.com
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    http://www.subway.co.uk/assets/pdf/Subway Nuritional Values_v3.pdf

Its italian but the wheat has extra protein
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    A 2 second look at the website brought me to this nutritional chart.

http://www.subway.com/nutrition/NutritionList.aspx?id=breadtop&Countrycode=USA

Italian is 200 calories, but hearty italian and the 9 grain wheat are only 210.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Just because it is frozen does not mean poor quality.

Years ago i used to make all my own bread and i used to freeze some unbaked as well.
    It is a perfectly valid method of preservation (freezing) that keeps food just fine with minimal loss of nutrients, and means not alot of preservatives need be added.

I would imagine any high-volume place, like most subways are, are receiving deliveries of frozen raw loaves pretty regularly so unlikely they have been frozen for more than 6 months.. though of course i could well be wrong about that as i don't work for subway and dont have that info *S*

Just wanted to stand up for fact that frozen does not mean unhealthy *S*
  • kelsbel12
    kelsbel12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use this website but idk the name. Just goolge eddieoneverthing subway calculator. You can make a whole sandwich and it tells how many calories is in each thing. It's a life saver!
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If you go to the bread and toppings section it will tell you the information for just the bread for a 6" sandwich. It's the Italian and the wheat bread that are the lowest in calorie count though. :)

http://www.subway.com/nutrition/NutritionList.aspx?id=breadtop&Countrycode=USA
  • sherrylynn777
    sherrylynn777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not sure of the calories but I get the whole wheat and have them take out the inside and just have the crust. Pretty good to.
  • AngeliaDR
    Options
    My subway lets me order a sandwich 'open face' in a salad container. Half the cal of any bread you choose ;)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Have the honey oat and ditch the mayo :-) Viola!

This is what I do. I just have it with mustard, veggies and whatever meat I selected.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I was there yesterday and the nutritional pamphlet said to go with the Italian or wheat bread when watching calories.

This made me sad because I love the honey oat. :(

Just go for honey oat. You don't eat there everyday, why would you limit a treat? The difference is probably just 100 calories, that won't kill you.