Proper Gym Etiquette

Options

Replies

• cchamil1985
    cchamil1985 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't get the issue with nakedness in the locker room.

... isn't that what locker rooms are for? Have you never seen a naked person of your own gender before? Please, I have other things to worry about not to remember to cover myself with a towel at all times.

THIS!! I have never understood the aversion to nudity in a locker room. When I get finished showering I use the towel to dry off but you never get all of the water off and if I try and get dressed immediately after toweling off then my clothing sticks to my skin. So I leave the humid shower, walk to my locker, take care of things like deodorant and cologne, then get dressed. Sometimes I even engage in friendly conversation with other guys in the locker room (I know, *gasp*!). It's just a human body. It isn't hurting you, it doesn't affect you at all whether or not I have clothes on, so unless you are insecure because of my size 16 boots I really do not understand what the problem is.

Some people just want to be mad all of the time and they look for something to be mad about I guess. SMH.
  • cchamil1985
    Options
    Also, if I am walking on a mountain circuit on the treadmill, between 5 and 15% incline for 60 minutes, it means that I am killing fat. It does not mean that I should get off the machine after 30 mins because you want to jog for 10 minutes before getting on the bike and pedaling at a snails pace. Nor does it mean that I am going to appreciate you telling me that I need to go faster than 3mph. I am on a 15% incline and I weigh 340lbs you moron, mind your own business or tell me something encouraging, keep your stupidity to yourself.
  • pjgreen0830
    pjgreen0830 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    One of the gyms I go to is at the office I work at. People act like their mothers are walking behind them cleaning up. They leave the benches in the shower stalls covered with water. They leave the lockers standing open. They leave trash in the lockers and on the floor. Mom isn't there. CLEAN UP ANY MESS YOU MAKE!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Also, if I am walking on a mountain circuit on the treadmill, between 5 and 15% incline for 60 minutes, it means that I am killing fat. It does not mean that I should get off the machine after 30 mins because you want to jog for 10 minutes before getting on the bike and pedaling at a snails pace. Nor does it mean that I am going to appreciate you telling me that I need to go faster than 3mph. I am on a 15% incline and I weigh 340lbs you moron, mind your own business or tell me something encouraging, keep your stupidity to yourself.

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine.. and actually aren't killing as much as fat as you think, so those people have a right to tell you to move.

So before you call people morons, and talk about stupidity, you may want to do some research on how fat loss works.
  • McWooey
    McWooey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    As many others have said - PLEASE Wipe down the machine after you use it

others that I feel are important are:

Don't use weight benches, exercise balls or other gym equipment to sit and have a break and a chat, unless you're in the middle of a set of exercises and taking a rest - be courteous of the fact others may wish to use them

Don't have discussions about you daughters wedding, holiday etc etc during warm-ups or content of classes - this is my biggest gripe! at my gym one of the trainers would have no problem telling you to be quiet however the other who takes the classes these people in question attend is quite quiet and wouldn't tell people to shut up - regularly they talk throughout warm-up etc and when he then tells us the exercises for the circuit and we're about to start they have to ask what it is they're to do! - shut up, listen and have some respect

Don't hog the machines! be a bit considerate of the fact their may be limited machines and more than you wanting to use them

Don't complain that classes are two easy when the rest of the people taking part are absolutely exhausted and you don't have an ounce of sweat on you and clearly didn't try! - its about the effort YOU put in!

Its not a modelling session - you don't have to pose and preen in front of the mirrors

Tidy up behind you, don't leave towels, tissue, equipment lying around, throw rubbish away and tidy up when you've finished your training
  • MattN1972
    MattN1972 Posts: 117
    Options
    1) Curling in the squat rack
    2) No racking your weights or cleaning up after yourself
    3) People that critique others when they should worry
    about themselves.
    4) Curling in the squat rack
  • cchamil1985
    Options
    Well aren't you a ray of sunshine.. and actually aren't killing as much as fat as you think, so those people have a right to tell you to move.

So before you call people morons, and talk about stupidity, you may want to do some research on how fat loss works.

Engaging the muscle fibers encourages the depletion of glycogen from the blood stream and causes a hormone response that, without which, weight-loss is incredibly difficult.

I know exactly how much fat I am killing, I know my body and the science behind weight-loss well enough to predict within half a pound how much weight weight I will lose in a week based on my diet and activity. That variance is because of errors in nutrition information.

Making claims without first examining the evidence makes you look like an idiot. You should consider that next time, preferably before you insert your foot into your mouth.
  • crossfit_lover
    crossfit_lover Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Weight room- get your business done, put your weights away, wipe down machine or bench

Classes- don't get on your phone, don't carry on conversation while the instructor is speaking to instruct, leave room to move around

Cardio- don't hog the machine (30-60 min then get off unless there's a lot still available), wipe off your machine when done, don't pile on perfume or cologne so that others around can breathe.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    fist-pound.jpg
  • lheaton
    lheaton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Don't curl in the squat rack
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    People who deliberately keep cardio equipment like treadmills or cross trainers occupied and text their friends to let them know they are getting off so they can stand behind them and jump on straight away before anybody else has time to register there is a free machine. So annoying if you've been waiting for a machine!
  • lheaton
    lheaton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    We have 1 squat rack and 2 bench press benches (I guess you call them). Yesterday I did my squats and then went to wait for a bench. After being cutting in front of 3 times, I thought next time I'll just drag a bench under the squat rack. Then, do my rows there and be finished.

So, that's going to make everyone mad? I don't want to do something that everyone is going to be shaking their head about...

And if I don't do that, how do I make it known that I am not sitting there admiring the guy in front of me - I really do want to be next!!!
  • paige_eloise
    paige_eloise Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh at someone if they're struggling (watched this happen before, it was mortifying for the poor girl).
    Wipe stuff down after use.... don't leave it rank for the next person.
    Don't hog machines and DON'T stand in front of a machine for 10 bloody minutes having a chat on your phone.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm fat - get over it. I'm at the gym because I don't want to be fat and I want to be healthy. Telling me I need to lose weight is pointless because girlfriend, I'm already on it.

I'm weight lifting? Oh, I'm sorry - did I forget that girls can't lift? Well screw you, I'm going to do it anyway. Annoyed I'm lifting more than you? Good ;)

Walking around with your tiny vests on and your protein shakes but actually doing no work whatsoever is a waste of your time and my time. Grouping in a gaggle around the Lat Pull discussing whether to pull 200lbs or 230lbs for ten minutes before giving up and sitting on a bench does make me laugh, but I have a schedule to adhere to! (I'm joking a little about that one)

Don't stare at me because I look hot and sweaty and have no make up on. You go right ahead with your styled hair and false eyelashes - if it makes you feel good that is great, but don't judge me because I can't be bothered to reapply my make up constantly.

If you don't know how to use equipment, ask somebody. I worry about injuries but don't want to interfere.

Oh, and wipe down machines. It's just grim sitting in someone else's sweat pool.
  • paige_eloise
    paige_eloise Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Don't stare at me because I look hot and sweaty and have no make up on. You go right ahead with your styled hair and false eyelashes - if it makes you feel good that is great, but don't judge me because I can't be bothered to reapply my make up constantly.

I feel your pain on this one..
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't get the issue with nakedness in the locker room.

... isn't that what locker rooms are for? Have you never seen a naked person of your own gender before? Please, I have other things to worry about not to remember to cover myself with a towel at all times.

THIS!! I have never understood the aversion to nudity in a locker room. When I get finished showering I use the towel to dry off but you never get all of the water off and if I try and get dressed immediately after toweling off then my clothing sticks to my skin. So I leave the humid shower, walk to my locker, take care of things like deodorant and cologne, then get dressed. Sometimes I even engage in friendly conversation with other guys in the locker room (I know, *gasp*!). It's just a human body. It isn't hurting you, it doesn't affect you at all whether or not I have clothes on, so unless you are insecure because of my size 16 boots I really do not understand what the problem is.

Some people just want to be mad all of the time and they look for something to be mad about I guess. SMH.

This, absolutely. The human body comes in different varieties, is completely normal, and if you don't like the way somebody looks, then you have every right to just NOT LOOK. I know my culture (Finnish) is very different to American, especially in this matter (I've lived in both countries), but here it's normal to be naked in a locker room, and be naked in a sauna (fun fact: wearing anything other than a towel is prohibited in public saunas for hygiene reasons, they do provide these towelette thingys for you to sit on, and wearing a towel is a) really frowned upon and sometimes also prohibited and b) stupid because then your towel will get wet and you can't dry yourself with it after you're done.)
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

Engaging the muscle fibers encourages the depletion of glycogen from the blood stream and causes a hormone response that, without which, weight-loss is incredibly difficult.

I know exactly how much fat I am killing, I know my body and the science behind weight-loss well enough to predict within half a pound how much weight weight I will lose in a week based on my diet and activity. That variance is because of errors in nutrition information.

Making claims without first examining the evidence makes you look like an idiot. You should consider that next time, preferably before you insert your foot into your mouth.

Right on my friend, the ignorance displayed by some is astounding. Steeply inclined walks are one of my favorite "cardio" exercises. Keep up the good work.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    No staring, no heavy perfume (holy crap is it hard to breathe if the person on the machine next to you smells like a bottle of axe or chanel 5), wipe stuff down, if there's one bench in front of 30 lockers, do the math and don't hog it while chatting on your phone
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Then, do my rows there and be finished.

So, that's going to make everyone mad? I don't want to do something that everyone is going to be shaking their head about...

And if I don't do that, how do I make it known that I am not sitting there admiring the guy in front of me - I really do want to be next!!!

Don't row off the benches! :laugh:

Your rack doesn't have low front pegs to row from?
    Off the floor adds a little deadlift motion too.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.. that's why MFP is designed for people to lose weight on a calorie deficit alone(baring medical conditions). Exercise is just a bonus for most people that help them stay under their calorie goal and look better as they lose weight.

I know that if I eat around 1540 calories, exercise or not, I will lose weight. Will I look as good? No, which is why I lift weights and do cardio.

So before you go claiming that weight loss is difficult without exercise, you may want to figure out how MFP actually works.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Do not fart while doing squats.

I laughed.....