Swimming - Front Crawl

Hello,

i have started to swim quite a lot, I have been swimming 4 times this week, spending about half an hour doing about 25 length front crawl.

I want to up this up to 50 lengths in 60 minutes, will this help me lose weight? I can feel it in my arms but I can't really feel it in my torso when I'm exercising. My goal is to lose 2stone 7 lbs to get to 11 stone but if i am toning up then i will be building muscle right?

so i wont really see a difference on the scale if I'm building muscle. What would you suggest?

Replies

• Swimming is a great burner of calories, so long as you fight the 'munches' afterwards.
    I would have thought 4 sessions would be a great start to you goals.
    Especially if you increase your duration

Although I personally don't care about my weight, albeit I am carrying too much. I know that my swimming will burn my fat over time and some will convert to muscle producing good body tone.

Well... That's the plan anyway. :-s
  • corderdeb
    corderdeb Posts: 57 Member
    I've been swimming for nearly 2 years now (I'm up to almost 4miles a week). I initially lost a lot of weight and I have much more tone in my arms and legs. But I still have a tummy that won't go away. It might not solve all your problems but that's what cross-training will do for you. Maybe weights a couple times a week will help.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    suck your tummy in/ contract it while swimming.
    I swam competitively for about 5 years and then coached it for about 2 years.
    Best workout for your body next to rowing.

Best ab workout for the experienced swimmers... do butterfly kick on your back.
    Hands in streamline or down by your side.