I think I'm Obsessed

minus15go
minus15go Posts: 27
edited September 21 in Motivation and Support
I know this isn't necessarily a bad thing if I want to reach my goal, but I'd just like to get a feel for how much everyone thinks about their weight loss journey. I myself am completely consumed - to the point where I am distracted. I'm currently working on my Masters thesis, but I can hardly concentrate on it because I feel like I am always thinking about what/when I am going to eat next, and then how I am going to workout that day. Part of me feels really good about this fairly new motivation. I've stopped drinking wine on a nightly basis which was a huge obstacle for me, but since I've decided to become so dedicated I feel like its taking over my thoughts.

For example, my husband came home for lunch today and asked if I wanted to go to an out of town food and wine festival with people from his work this weekend. Normally I'd be really excited about going, but the second he asked my wheels started spinning "What will I eat?, How will I know how many calories I'm consuming? What if I'm tempted to drink?"

I know I'm not going to have to think like this forever, and that I have to stick to my guns if I want to actually see a change, but I'm just a little frustrated over how much time I spend daydreaming about weight loss.
Any thoughts from you guys?

Replies

• Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    I am in the same boat! I'm also working on my master's thesis and have allowed my focus to stray on researching healthy meals or I take the time to workout instead of write! I'm actually finishing up a draft so I MAY have made it through the process without screwing up royally. I'm thinking that I'll just start making more healthy food choices when I'm not counting calories that it will almost become second nature to me. Here's to hoping...both that I can relax with the calorie counting and successfully finish my thesis!
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    I am in the same boat! I'm also working on my master's thesis and have allowed my focus to stray on researching healthy meals or I take the time to workout instead of write! I'm actually finishing up a draft so I MAY have made it through the process without screwing up royally. I'm thinking that I'll just start making more healthy food choices when I'm not counting calories that it will almost become second nature to me. Here's to hoping...both that I can relax with the calorie counting and successfully finish my thesis!
  • suzyanne
    suzyanne Posts: 50
    It's not a bad thing to think this way, at least while you're adjusting to the lifestyle change. Once you're used to the changes you're making in your life, you won't need to think about it anymore. You will automatically make the healthy choices and know your limits. For now, you're making a conscious effort, and that is good.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    I agree that it's sometimes hard to find balance.
    I say go on that trip. Enjoy it. BUT find time in the morning to get work outs in.
    Steph :flowerforyou:
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    One thing I find that helps that question of "what am I going to eat next?" is to plan my day beforehand. That way when it comes time to eat (about every 3 hours for me), I can look at my log and just make it. I don't have to focus on calories and ratios and such when I am hungry (I normally plan the night before after I've eaten dinner). Sometimes my plans change and then I change my log accordingly, but overall I try to stick to what I am doing. Otherwise, as a mom of 3 boys, it would consume my thoughts instead of focusing on them.

Go with your husband. You can't avoid social experiences altogether. Take just a little bit to get a good taste and make sure that you take what you want but also that you want what you take! Focus on talking with his co-workers rather than eating. Enjoy yourself and pat yourself on your back.

It will get easier as time goes on to not be so obsessed, but for right now, it's foremost on your mind because it is a HUGE change. Good job and good luck on your thesis.

Lisa
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    I agree with smuehlbauer. I've gone on a few weekend trips recently and I thought it was great that I didn't gain or lose anything. I made sure to do my workout (30 Day Shred) early the morning we left, then I tried to at least get a walk in while we were gone. On one trip we were in a hotel and I was able to take my son swimming a couple times. Last weekend I went to see some old friends and had multiple glasses of wine and a cocktail, but took an hour long leisurely walk with my husband on the beach the next morning. I also think through my meals while I'm gone and determine that every bite that crosses my lips is REALLY worth it. I think that's been a huge hurdle for me. I can actually say "no" to some foods. Not so much the wine, though
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Hey, being obsessed over something like this isn't necessarily a bad thing. I am on this site all of the time at work ( due to lack of things to do) and it keeps me motivated to do good eating wise and exercise wise. Plus, it helps you stay focused to reach your goal
    And like you, I get nervous when we go away because all of a sudden I wonder how will I be able to stay within my goals,and where will we eat? In a few weeks we are going to Tennessee and the family LOVES to eat. I can enjoy a thing or two but now I know it's all about moderation.
    Don't obsess about being obsessed..you got this :happy:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I'm the same way and I'm 7 months in. Sometimes it causes arguments between me and the boyfriend because if we order something, I have to have something different and usually what he wants is cheap and if we ALSO have to get something for me, it's not cheap anymore. We had this argument last weekend when we planned on a pizza, then realized they didn't have that type and that was the one I logged in my diary... we planned what we wanted that I would be okay with, got to the store, they had a special, and ended up getting something else and I went completely over.

Sometimes I feel like he doesn't sympathize enough with me because I'm doing this to get HEALTHY and because I put on 30 lbs since dating him. I really hope I don't have to think about it as much later on... I'm tired of being told I'm putting too much pressure on myself or that I "need to just eat" or that I should just live my life. THIS IS ME LIVING MY LIFE. I feel GOOD doing this. I'm not giving up my hard work for one beer!
  • minus15go
    minus15go Posts: 27
    I'm tired of being told I'm putting too much pressure on myself or that I "need to just eat" or that I should just live my life. THIS IS ME LIVING MY LIFE. I feel GOOD doing this. I'm not giving up my hard work for one beer!

I hear you! There are things that we have to do for ourselves because it makes US happy. Sometimes it's just that simple.
    Also just telling yourself that whatever the tempting thing may be (i.e. pizza, beer, wine or cookies) it is just not worth giving up what you've worked so hard for. I think in the past I didn't reach my goal because I gave up so quickly - started the day off right and then ended up finishing the day poorly - but now that I've got a solid week of successful days behind me I don't want to mess them up for anything!
This discussion has been closed.