Nausea after jogging

Options
Hi!

Apologies if this kind of question has been asked a lot. Yesterday and today I went jogging, both for 30 minutes each and both for approximately 4.6km. I came home and had a shower, then maybe an hour after the jog ended I got intense nausea, to the point that I couldn't eat my dinner and had to lie down. Yesterday I had dizziness too, but I hadn't eaten much during the day. Today there was no dizziness, just nausea. It's taken me a good 3 hours both nights to be able to eat again.

I've jogged in the morning before and eaten breakfast maybe an hour afterwards and have felt fine. But this week my appetite seems to be shrinking. I drank plenty of water before and after the jogs, although not during as I don't like carrying a bottle with me.

Can anyone suggest how I might stop this happening again? I don't want to end up way under my calories (I'm only on 1200 as it is) because I feel too sick to eat for most of the evening.

Replies

• rbro1979
    rbro1979 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough during the day? Need more info but it looks as though you could be close to your base rate of calories for the day without the run? If you are almost running 3 miles in consecutive day at the end of the day you may be running on empty (that may be why the morning run isn't an issue?)

You could try eating a banana or some rice/pasta an hour and a half or so before you run? Don't worry about any weight gains from it. The run itself will boost your metabolic rate for the next 12hrs or so and you'll be better off in the long run.

On the subject of feeling too sick to eat? Is that only after running or just in general? If you feel sick every night you should see a doctor.

Ta

Russ
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I get that if I don't eat before exercise. It doesn't take a lot...maybe an apple or yogurt. It's low blood sugar for me, although I don't have blood sugar problems normally.
  • IlyanaRose
    IlyanaRose Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply :)

I don't eat a huge amount during the day as the dinners I've prepared this week are both ~450calories. But breakfast and lunch are both usually around 250 calories each, and then I have some snacks too. It's possible that I could be running on empty though; I tend not to eat back my exercise calorie. But I'm 5ft 1" and 138lbs so I don't need a huge number of calories anyway.

I could try eat some carbs 90 minutes before I run, that's good advice. I probably haven't eaten enough up to that point in the day to fuel the run.

I only felt sick the last two nights after running. I have noticed my appetite getting smaller though (after 2 weeks of dieting); hopefully that's just because of the new diet and not for any other reason.

Thank you for your advice :)
  • IlyanaRose
    Options
    I get that if I don't eat before exercise. It doesn't take a lot...maybe an apple or yogurt. It's low blood sugar for me, although I don't have blood sugar problems normally.

I think I am prone to low blood sugar so that could be an explanation for it
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Banana's will settle your stomach and fuel the run. Try it before your run and see what it does for you.
  • IlyanaRose
    Options
    Banana's will settle your stomach and fuel the run. Try it before your run and see what it does for you.

I'll give it a try, thank you!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

I'll give it a try, thank you!

So, did the banana work?