Which hrm should I get?

Options
brinsy
brinsy Posts: 226 Member
Any hrm recommendations? I'm sure this question has probably been asked before though :-/

Replies

• tarafreeman353
    tarafreeman353 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i just recently bought the polar f7. it was on sale at amazon. although i like the equipment itself, I 'm not fond of the website. it is just too busy for me, so i take the data and use it on the fitbit site, nike site. i did read a lot of reviews and this one was a great one for me since i wasn't really looking to spend a lot of money.
  • Cassandra2oh6
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this!!! I was JUST searching for a thread that would help me with this very question.
  • brinsy
    Options
    I don't want to spend a lot of money either but I want to get something that will last....well forever ha! I think polar is the way to go but can't decide between ft4 ft7 or ft40 and then there's the ft60 :-/
  • JethroXP
    JethroXP Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've got the Polar FT7 as well, been using it for over a year now, very happy with it. Nice thing about Polar is that it is the defacto standard for use with exercise equipment that can read the wireless signal it emits, so if you do cardio on machines in a gym chances are the machine will be able to display your HR in real time without the need for you to check the watch display during your workout. The FT7 also had enough memory to store your last 99 workouts so you can go back to reference the date, time, duration, calories burned, average HR and Max HR for your last 99 workouts. Very handy if you also log workouts elsewhere, like here on MFP.
  • JethroXP
    Options
    My wife uses the FT4 and is happy with it, the FT7 adds more memory (99 workouts stored vs. 10 I think for the FT4) and there might be one other small difference I can't remember right now. I also looked at the FT40 and FT60 but decided that I didn't need the special training modes they offered on the watch, nor the ability to sync with Polar's website because I track my exercise here. If money is tight, and you already have a training plan and a place to track exercise, I'd recommend either the FT4 or the FT7. On Amazon I believe the price difference is small enough that it probably makes sense to just get the FT7. Also my wife wanted a pink one, and I think that kind of meant I had to get her the FT4. In fact I just checked, on Amazon right now the Pink FT4 is $64.50 and the black FT7 I have is $61.50 so if you don't care about color you can get the FT7 cheaper than the FT4.
  • brinsy
    Options
    So informative thank u so much! Wonder why ft7 is that little bit cheaper. Don't really need training plan and if they are as accurate as the ft40 and 60 maybe Ill go with the ft7
  • brinsy
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this!!! I was JUST searching for a thread that would help me with this very question.
    Ft7 seems to be the one to go for
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT40 and it has everything I need. It's pretty basic, but does the job. It's one of the cheapest ones too, I think; paid about 120$ inc tax and shipping (bonus for me was that it came in white).
    One thing that surprised me when I got it was how much the cardio machines overestimated in comparison to the calories burnt that the HRM would display... Now I just go by the HRM...
  • pookahbot
    pookahbot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if the ft7 is waterproof? The ft4 says it is...could that account for the price different? I want to be able to wear mine in the water.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Being a low tech-minded person, and not wanting to wear a chest strap (would really annoy me in hot weather) I got a mio, off ebay. I wear it as a watch and just need to touch the face to get a heart rate reading. It's accurate and doesn't bother me wearing it.
  • brinsy
    Options
    I use the Polar FT40 and it has everything I need. It's pretty basic, but does the job. It's one of the cheapest ones too, I think; paid about 120$ inc tax and shipping (bonus for me was that it came in white).
    One thing that surprised me when I got it was how much the cardio machines overestimated in comparison to the calories burnt that the HRM would display... Now I just go by the HRM...
    I liked the look of the white too it caught my eye when I was looking
  • brinsy
    Options
    Being a low tech-minded person, and not wanting to wear a chest strap (would really annoy me in hot weather) I got a mio, off ebay. I wear it as a watch and just need to touch the face to get a heart rate reading. It's accurate and doesn't bother me wearing it.
    Never heard of mio. If it was accurate without chest strap that would be very handy
  • brinsy
    Options
    Which mio style did u get? Was looking at them on amazon doesn't state which are for men or women
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have the polar f4 and I love it--simple and gets the job done---a lot of people on this site have polar
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have Pyle Sports PHRM38. I love it. It is really basic and doesn't have a lot of the features the Polar brand has, but for $26(on amazon) I couldn't pass it up.
  • JethroXP
    Options
    The FT7 is waterproof down to 30 meters (100 feet). On the Polar website it's one of the products they recommend if you select "Swimming" as your activity.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, just but the polar bluetooth chest strap. Then you can use a lot of after market apps to track. The only thing is you might not want to take dance class with a smart phone, you might just fling it across the room. Also if you run and cycles, the after market apps track your speed outdoors, your location via gps.so you have a lot of flexibility.
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4, and I'm very happy with it. I use it everyday.
  • dcone2001
    dcone2001 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump. Like another poster mentioned I was thinking about getting this as well. How much does it differ between mfp calories burned while running. I want to be accurate with it.