Another plantar fasciitis question

Options
So I've seen a lot of threads about plantar fasciitis, scrolled through them all but was looking for one thing in particular. I was wondering if anyone out there with plantar fasciitis experienced decreased toe movement? I've had plantar fasciitis for almost four years now and I've done everything. Foot brace every night, stretches, icing, taping, cortisone injections etc. NOTHING has helped permanently. The cortisone injections help for about six months but once they wear off it's HELL again and this time I've lost my insurance so I can't get them done. Anyway this time around, going so long without the shot I've noticed that as the pain has gotten worse and worse, I've been able to move my toes less and less. I can just barely move the pinky toe and the one next to it. Is anyone else having this problem??? I'm so tired of limping, I've actually thought about buying a cane and I'm only 28.

Replies

• MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh! My heart goes out to you. This is my story with another name attached to it. I hated limping around and being in pain all the time. I do have to say the only thing that helped me was losing an extra 75lbs. It was gone by the first 50lbs mark. I am no longer in pain at all. Infact, I a running 5 days a week now and training for a half marathon. When I started my weight loss program I was terrified to exercise because I was afraid I would hurt myself. I lost the first 50lbs without adding exercise and then once I started I wasn't suffering.
    Hang in there. You will find relief
  • Absterdam
    Absterdam Posts: 50
    Options
    Oh! My heart goes out to you. This is my story with another name attached to it. I hated limping around and being in pain all the time. I do have to say the only thing that helped me was losing an extra 75lbs. It was gone by the first 50lbs mark. I am no longer in pain at all. Infact, I a running 5 days a week now and training for a half marathon. When I started my weight loss program I was terrified to exercise because I was afraid I would hurt myself. I lost the first 50lbs without adding exercise and then once I started I wasn't suffering.
    Hang in there. You will find relief

That is a relief to hear. I am just beginning my weightloss journey and my foot has definitely impeded on how active I've been. I hope after some of the weights gone it starts to let up a bit
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I used to get PF when I started working a physically demanding job that had me on my feet for 8 hours. It only bothered me in the mornings and I was able to "walk it off", but it was very painful. I bet if you were able to take some weight off it would really be helpful. I now am working an internship at a hospital and on my feet for 10 of 12 hours, and not bothered by PF anymore- I'm down a total of 96 lbs. You can do it- good luck!

-Kendra
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for custom orthotics? That is the only thing that has worked for me with PF. When I wear the orthotics, I'm pain free. I can even go for a day or two now and again and wear different shoes without pain, but mainly I live in my custom orthotics. They are the best. I started feeling better with in a week or the orthotics.
  • Absterdam
    Absterdam Posts: 50
    Options
    Have you been fitted for custom orthotics? That is the only thing that has worked for me with PF. When I wear the orthotics, I'm pain free. I can even go for a day or two now and again and wear different shoes without pain, but mainly I live in my custom orthotics. They are the best. I started feeling better with in a week or the orthotics.

No :( my insurance (when I had it) didn't cover custom orthotics. I did get a pair from my podiatrist that fit as closely to my foot as possible without being customized but after the cortisone wore off I didn't notice a difference. I work in a restaurant so 8 to 12 hour shifts and the only way I get through them is by stretching my foot periodically throughout the day. But by the time I get off work I'm practically dragging it behind me like a zombie >_<
  • maddymama
    Options

No :( my insurance (when I had it) didn't cover custom orthotics. I did get a pair from my podiatrist that fit as closely to my foot as possible without being customized but after the cortisone wore off I didn't notice a difference. I work in a restaurant so 8 to 12 hour shifts and the only way I get through them is by stretching my foot periodically throughout the day. But by the time I get off work I'm practically dragging it behind me like a zombie >_<

I ended up paying for mine out of pocket as well, as mine weren't covered either. It was worth every penny I paid. I did what you did with the premade ones, and they didn't help a bit, but the custom ones are amazing. I am pain free now. You might want to ask your pod. if it's worth you saving up for it.
  • maddymama
    Options
    Oh, and I meant to say that I also have osteoarthritis in my toes as well, and the orthotics have relieved that pain, too. I'm wondering if you have a touch of that as well as PF.
  • mrscarolbernard
    mrscarolbernard Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested trying Voltaren gel. I rubbed in generous amounts 2-3 times a day and after about 6 months was completely pain free. I also stretch my feet before getting up in the morning.

Seriously, try Voltaren gel. It's a miracle. You can buy it off the shelf at the pharmacy here in Canada.
  • kath2810
    kath2810 Posts: 93
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have the same issue ,not quite as severe , I found acupuncture to help very much, I also agree with others about it getting better with weight loss..

All the best to you & I hope it improves..

:)
  • CarolElaine25
    CarolElaine25 Posts: 102
    Options
    I recently got a pair of slippers that's really been helping my PF: http://www.orthaheelusa.com/women/slippers/gemma-mule-slippers.html

As soon as I get home I slip into them and wear them until I go to bed. It's only been a week, but I notice the morning pain is dramatically lessened. I have to get another night boot (my last one had an unfortunate kitten accident) and then I think it'll just be a matter of time until it's gone.
  • mickey4u3
    mickey4u3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had a procedure done called orthotripsy (I think that is how you spell it) This is a procedure where they send electronic wave lengths into the foot and you are on crutches for about a day then ice and custom orthodics. No other down time like regular surgery. I had PF in both feet anbd couldn't walk for more that 5 mins at a time. At the time this was a new procedure and my insurance company did pay for 80% I am not sure if it is still offered but it is worth a check. For what it is worth.......that was 6 years ago and still no pain....I still have orthodics and ice if I have any discomfort when I over do it. I might add, a year after I had this procedure I hiked Bryce Cannon and today I still walk approx. 5 - 6 miles a day. Check with your foot doctor custom orthodics will at least give you relief. Good luck, PF is so painful.
  • Fourthgirl
    Fourthgirl Posts: 4
    Options
    I have also had PF for about 13 years. It flares up worse from time to time. I suspect weight is one of the biggest problems and hope to get some relief as that comes off. I have a custom orthotic which was also the only thing that gave me relief when it was at its worse. So bad my eyes would tear when I walked. I also have off the shelf orthotics now which go into almost every pair of shoes I own. I am in Canada and they run about $24.00 a pair but well worth it. It is very important to get a brand that fits well though. I use Spenco's but have tried Orthaheel and they bother my feet. I also don't wear any shoes that bother my feet any more. I only buy good quality shoes. I find soft shoes cause a flair up firmer shoes are better. When I feel a flare up coming on then I start icing, advil and stretching and exercises right away. A physio gave me a good exercise. Sit with feet on the floor and curl your toes up towards your heels. (Imagine a towel on the floor that you are trying to to gather up under your feet by curling your toes. Good luck.
  • TheQueenofBee
    TheQueenofBee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I developed PF during my last pregnancy. I saw a podiatrist, and didn't get any relief with the usual rest, ice, night splint, cortisone shots, etc. I looked into what was causing the PF in the first place, and while I know my weight is a factor, it also has to do with tight calf muscles. I found a chiropractor who does something called Active Release Technique (activerelease.com), and a Graston technique. The Graston hurts like a you know what- but after several treatments now my PF is getting better. The next step is custom orthotics- which should also help. Good luck in finding some relief!
  • linderbelle
    linderbelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    In the states its by prescription. I'm suffering with plantar fascitis, heel spurs and flat feet and oh yea I just got told bunion. I'm down 21 but have sooooooooooooo far to go. Praying this gel works. It's encouraging readig that dropping weight helped you all.

Linda