Stretchmarks from LOSING weight?

Options
I've lost nearly a stone so far and tonight I noticed I have some faint stretchmarks on my love handles and thighs. Is it possible ot get stretch marks from losing weight?! Or have they been there all along and I've never noticed?

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I think what happens is that when you gain weight, the skin is stretched and there are tiny splits in the layers of skin. If you continue to gain, these splits increase become red and wider/longer. After losing weight, if the weight was a very small amount, the stretch marks can be virtually invisible. If the weight gain/loss was greater, the stretch marks after weight loss are more visible. Creams, suntan, and time can help them become less obvious.

My 14yr old skinny minny daughter has them on her hips...maybe her skin is just not very elastic, because she's never in her life been even close to overweight (darn 5th percentile child).
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    stormie - You can also get stretch marks if you have a really sudden growth spurt. If she grew a couple inches in a short amount of time, her skin wouldn't have had time to adjust so that's why she has those.

But I do agree, apply cocoa butter now and just keep the areas where you have most of your weight very moisturized... if you tan or use a sunless tanner, that can reduce the appearance. Me? I don't really care, so I don't do anything, haha! :]
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've had stretch marks and they are a bit more noticeable now that I've lost weight. I've just been using cocoa butter and a lotion that has a light tanner in it and they're hardly visible. Mine have faded completely to white so it's not an issue. I also use the cocoa butter so my skin snaps back when the weight is gone. I reallllly don't want saggy skin and I have genetics on my side at least.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    i have em on my stomach and chest i am not a fan but i kinda want someone to point em out...ill say i am fitter than you sonwhat does it matter. althiugh they stay hidden if i am not tan
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have had two children and have my share of stretch marks!! But, I have noticed more since I've started to loose weight. I had no idea that I had so many on my legs!

I don't think they are from loosing weight, I think they were there before and not never noticed!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've never had children, but I have stretch marks because I was about 60 lbs. heavier 12 years ago than I am currently. Have them on the upper thighs, lower abdomen, and chest. Sucks, but I'd rather have the stretch marks than the weight back.
  • nahhan12
    nahhan12 Posts: 79
    Options
    I've had stretch marks since I was 12 when I was 5'6" and went from 100 to 120 pounds in a year. I also have a stretch mark or 2 on my knees from getting taller so fast. They're just a fact of life and really you shouldn't worry about them. They aren't necessarily from gaining weight, but rather from a big change in size during a short time (either getting tall, gaining, or losing).
  • marlenia
    marlenia Posts: 33
    Options
    I'd rather have the stretch marks than the weight back.

That is what I'm saying! :happy:
  • joannasaurusrex
    Options
    I'm not really worried about them - they're not very obvious, was just wondering where they'd suddenly come from!
  • Thebaddestchic
    Options
    I use a lot of lotions and cremes. I was told moisture is good for getting rid of stretch marks.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Well I've had stretch marks since I was 15. Back of legs, inner thighs, bum, hips, boobs. Constant gaining and losing seems to do it unfortunately. :sad:

But nevertheless, like someone wrote earlier "better the stretch marks than gaining the weight back"! :smile:
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    My 14yr old skinny minny daughter has them on her hips...maybe her skin is just not very elastic, because she's never in her life been even close to overweight (darn 5th percentile child).

My 4 year old is going to be exactly that way. He should be well over 40 lbs (can't move him to a booster seat until he is) but the rascal only weighs 32 lbs. His 1 year old cousin weighs more than him. I'm afraid he'll go to kindergarten next year in a car seat.
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Best thing ever for stretch marks and cellulite is Bio Oil. Bit pricey but it really does improve the look and texture of your skin. I just lathered my whole body in it and my skin has gone so silky!

Lush!