HELP LAZY GIRL HERE!!!

Options
Hi everyone I just started trying to loose weight and realized that I am really out of shape!! I really WANT to exercize and create muscles but I can barely make it through 10 minutes on a stair stepping machine. (and yes it was set for my proper weight and at a low level! ) :frown: I also have very limited equipment and budget..... any advice on how to get started or on good programs?? Am feeling desperate!!

Replies

• Jes21sica
    Jes21sica Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can for now. Once you build up youre strength and endurance youll be able to workout for longer periods of time.
  • kslaughter
    Options
    Jillian Michaels dvd 30 day shred is only like 8 dollars at wal mart....and it's awesome :)
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Start by walking 30- 60 minutes a day at a pace that is comfortable for you. This will make your body more able to handle a fitness machine. After a few weeks, try the stair stepper or elliptical again. I think you my like the elliptical better than the stair stepper.
  • biggphatdaddy
    Options
    if you have to split your workouts over the whole day walk 15 to 20 minutes at a time, and by the end of the day you may have walked a whole lot longer than you think, and the lbs will start coming off, then as you feel more into it, add other exercises....
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Walking is low impact and FREE! Just walk as much as you can and keep adding a few more minutes every day. Walking is a great workout! And, once you can do a bit more, I agree with a previous poster, the 30 day shred workout is great. :) Good luck! You can do it, just do your best.
  • amyday1
    amyday1 Posts: 35
    Options
    I have a gym membership but since its Summer I enjoy doing things outside. Just keep DOING. Thats the key, and the more you do the easier it will get. If the machines were EASY we wouldnt need them.. Same thing with the tapes just set a goal and increase it. I have a Heart Rate Monitor that keeps me in check. That way Im not slacking or overdoing. So no matter what exercise i decide to do that day. I know if im working hard enough.
  • courtneysmith3212
    Options
    TAE BO dvd's at walmart! They have a TON of different selections to choose from!
  • OnMyWeigh
    OnMyWeigh Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Walking, walking, walking!!! I also have the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD that I LOVE!!! It has 3 different levels and even in the lowest level Bob continually says if it's too much, take a rest, you will work up to it, which I have found is very motivational, because he understands that when you start you just don't have the stamina. I have been using the DVD for several months and still have never even left the first level but I have lost 24lb since Memorial Day using that DVD (2-3 days a week), walking (the other days) and MFP!
  • Vanessa1977
    Vanessa1977 Posts: 101
    Options
    Walking, yes everyone already said that.
    Start out slow and od as much as you can. Even if it is just 10 minutes. I walk 3x a day, 15min each walk, for me that is easier the a straight 30 - 45 minutes. Plus it gets me active, out of the house and my heart rate up three times a day.

Also you can pick up work out videos from the library ... free

I am a single mom, my resources are limited, work with what you have. When I take my daughter to the park, I keep moving & busy, I'll walk laps around the playground when she plays. Or I use the playground equipment in a variety of ways, for example you can do step aerobics just by stepping up on ledges or stairs, step up, then step down, it gets your heart rate going, I use the balance beam to balance, it works the core.

It won't happen overnight, be patient. and Good Luck
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Like several others suggested, I recommend walking - but you might try Leslie Sansone's workout videos. They are walking based, but have other moves that increase the muscle building and the calorie burn.

I've heard lots of great things about the 30 Day Shred, but honestly, I have tried it and HATED it - Jillian is too tough for me! I am in the same EXTREMELY out of shape place you are, and I love Leslie's simple, klutz-proof moves. My favorite is Walk Away The Pounds Express, but she has MANY dvds. Try them at your local library or look for them used on Amazon or eBay.
  • bubbleblower16
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice, think i'll go look 4 some of those dvds!! :smile: I actually love going for walks however I live in Coastal Alabama so is SUPER HOT and humid right now, today it was 95 degrees by nine in the morning :grumble: ..... maybe will try early morning or late evening!!
  • sarwood1
    sarwood1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Walking, of course, but you can also do jumping jacks, push ups, squats, and sit-ups. There are some programs on the internet for free that help you train into harder stuff.

www.c25k.com -- site that helps you train your body to run a 5K over several weeks

www.hundredpushups.com -- has several programs for push-ups, squats, and sit-ups

I have the 30 Day Shred and I am loving it. Bought it for $8 at Target.

Ultimately, have fun and get to moving.:flowerforyou:
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Regarding equipment and costs.
    Your body weight is free and is typically plenty of resistance. You don't have to ride expensive machines, or pump iron, or go for miles and miles to get a caloric burn and build some muscle. You can do a lot within a 10ft square (and air conditioned) area. Do things like 50 jumping jacks, then 20 squats, then 20 push ups, then 20 crunches, then 20 burpees, rest and repeat. The numbers are irrelevant really, could be 50-3-20-5-8 or something, Just do as many as you can for now to complete the set, the important thing is to complete this as a sequence, move from one exercise to the other with no rest in between exercise. Then once completed these 5 exercises in a row, rest 2 or 3 minutes, then repeat the same process over. Rest another 2-3 minutes then complete the circuit a 3rd time. (a 4th and 5th as you get better) It helps to have a timer too so that it makes sure you only rest 2 minutes rather than 10 in between. When you get better at each exercise and can complete each exercise without failure, and with good form, all you do is stop at 20 but do each exercise "faster". Increase the intensity of the workout and add sets as you get fitter.
    This will get your heart rate up and will exercise the demons - especially if you just push yourself a know you can rest later (that's why the numbers per exercise are almost irrelevant). Later, you can switch out the exercises very simply too as you get more into it. Introduce some shoulder, lower back, more legs, ticeps etc exercises. Perhaps change each "set" so you do 3-5 exercises like above, then a different 3-5, then a different 3-5, the a different 3-5. It's always good to start each set with a "cardio" type move. Perhaps jumping jacks, then jump rope (there's another cheap, easy and effective piece of equipment), or step ups, etc. - even the burpess. Then move into some strength exercises, like "legs into chest into abbs". Google is your friend in finding ideas and sample workouts.

Other cheap and useful equipment to consider.
    1. Exercise matt
    2. Jump rope
    3. Med Ball
    4. Swiss ball
    5. exercise bands.

Things you can use around the house to supplement workouts. Stairs, chairs, buckets (with water) and bricks, broom handle.

You can do A LOT with the above few items. Prob cost less than $100 and you don't need to get all at once. Will last a long long time too and very versatile.