Reflux

Options
2»

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I had seriously bad reflux when was 200 pounds...turns out it was caused by over-stuffing my tummy every time I ate. Since I learned to moderate my portions, I have no more issues. None.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I had seriously bad reflux when was 200 pounds...turns out it was caused by over-stuffing my tummy every time I ate. Since I learned to moderate my portions, I have no more issues. None.

One of the problems with having digestive issues is that undigested food stays in the stomach too long and it is thus very easy to get "over-full" even if one is not overeating. Since I stopped eating gluten, I never have that over-full feeling and my calorie intake is about the same.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. To answer some of the questions...no cardiac issues, I'm working on weight loss, I try not to eat a lot of processed food. I can't eat fatty or fried foods because I don't have a fall bladder and I do have IBS which makes all this even more difficult. I always eat quickly (I manage a restaurant and usually very little time to sit and eat slowly) I do have a hiatal hernia but it is very small and so far no need for repair. I will definitely try some of your suggestions, this pain is not something I want to continue to live with!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    The other thing I was going to ask was about your gall bladder. But that's not it either.
    Hope you find some relief :smile:
  • amiaow
    amiaow Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Used to have chronic reflux, how have hardly any. I discovered that gluten is a big one for me so now I eat a low-gluten diet and I can eat onions again since my GI tract calmed down- woohoo! Eating no-processed to low-processed has also made a huge difference- I used to eat 'healthy' but it wasn't really, had a lot of frozen foods from boxes (like crumbed fish etc). So I cook 99% of things from scratch at home now and that has really helped.

Alcohol is still a big trigger for me so I don't drink often and keep it to a glass or two. Exercise helps as I can still get really bad reflux if my stress levels get too high. It's all been a process of trial and error really, and each change that you make should be evaluated for several weeks as everything will set off your reflux if your oesophagus is already inflamed.

Good luck!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Used to have chronic reflux, how have hardly any. I discovered that gluten is a big one for me so now I eat a low-gluten diet and I can eat onions again since my GI tract calmed down- woohoo! Eating no-processed to low-processed has also made a huge difference- I used to eat 'healthy' but it wasn't really, had a lot of frozen foods from boxes (like crumbed fish etc). So I cook 99% of things from scratch at home now and that has really helped.

Alcohol is still a big trigger for me so I don't drink often and keep it to a glass or two. Exercise helps as I can still get really bad reflux if my stress levels get too high. It's all been a process of trial and error really, and each change that you make should be evaluated for several weeks as everything will set off your reflux if your oesophagus is already inflamed.

Good luck!

Yes alcohol is a problem for many people because it relaxes the esophageal sphincter. Mint is another substance that can make reflux worse because it does the same.
  • Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I used to have severe IBS, acid reflux, the whole 9 and was on 10+ different medications for it. When I cleaned up my diet (no processed food, sugar, artificial sweeteners) the problems went away and I was able to stop my medication cold turkey. I can now eat the things that used to kill my stomach if I choose, really only go for the spices. Finding the things that cause discomfort is critical.
  • slamina
    slamina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I take Omeprazole and that works great except can't stomach alcohol or caffeine, Even a mouthful of either gives me terrible burning. Potatoes give a bit of indigestion but nothing major.

Before I took Omeprazole had reflux and burning indigestion nearly all the time was getting really worried that something serious was going on but all under control now :happy:
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I hate cucumbers....cant digest them...gives me bad IBS..
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Mint can definitely trigger reflux. On the other side, though, it can help calm IBS. A lot of veggies can trigger but if you skin them it tends to minimize the reflux. Bell peppers is a big one for me, but if I skin them it's no problem. I take lansoprazole (Prevacid) for my reflux and it is wonderful. Hopefully losing all this darn weight will help. Have you had an EGD yet? Good luck, hope you find something that is effective!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from acid reflux (GERD) since high school. The only thing that really helps consistently is Omeprazole. Although, there are triggers.

Big triggers: Stress, alcohol (sigh), coffee (sigh), white breads, heavily processed food (I know "processed" is a loaded and controversial term, but Doritos triggers it more than plain tortilla chips), milk (this one is weird, because initially it soothes the pain), sugary drinks, and fried/greasy food.

Mild triggers: Tomato sauce, spicy food, eggs, whole wheat breads and most heavy sauces.

What helps the most is eating mostly fruits and vegetables. Meat/fish doesn't bother me unless I overeat. Rice is usually OK. I find that brown rice is a little better. Exercise helps a lot probably because it reduces stress and "keeps things moving." I try to sleep on my left side and with a slightly elevated bed. Water is important as well.