Hikers United!

Options

Replies

• wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    We have a few great walking tracks including the awesome Bibbulum Track (1000km), but nothing like that range of choice. It sounds so much fun.

I did 6.36 miles yesterday. Boringly, that is the walk from work towards home. I walk along the bus route until it is too dark and then hop on the bus for the last mile or two
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Wahlega, I am (Virtually) hiking the Bibbulmun Trail right now on another web site! We have just passed -- And some of us CLIMBED!! -- The Gloucester Tree. I think it is near Pemberton?
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: 4.93 Miles Today
  • wahelga
    Options
    I was born not too far from there, its a beautiful area. Wish I knew how to insert photos in a post to show you but this would be you:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3yCIsMqqu7h1m4O7hYPbeMfRR1VrE68f68ZaGEg8IWGHJWO9W
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :mad: I can't post Pictures to the Threads either!! Maybe post it to your Profile?
  • rtell
    rtell Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi
    This is a great idea and I would like to join you.
    I live in the Uk and have been hiking for at least 15 years on a really regular basis. This weekend I was in Paris, France and clocked up 24 miles on my pedometer -walking through the city and sight seeing. Yesterday I did 3 miles. At the weekend I am going to Derbyshire for some more hiking. So 27 miles so far this week, and I will report back again after the weekend.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was born not too far from there, its a beautiful area. Wish I knew how to insert photos in a post to show you but this would be you:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3yCIsMqqu7h1m4O7hYPbeMfRR1VrE68f68ZaGEg8IWGHJWO9W

Yes thay is definately me. In fact it looks like my back yard.

I am very lucky to have so much around me. I have lived here for 13 years and had no clue. Then I decided to get active and bam.

Here is a link to my planned hike for Sunday if I can after doing a 5k on Sat. http://www.hikingwithmybrother.com/2012/03/franklin-ghost-town-cemetery.html
  • wahelga
    Options
    LOL Steffani, I think we must have cross posted. The photo is of Pemberton in Western Australia which is where LJCannon is on her virtual walk. How amazing it looks like your home. Its a beautiful area, so your home must be beautiful too.

Your hikes sound fantastic
  • wahelga
    Options
    3.17 miles for me for 1 May. We must be in New York by now, so where should we walk to next?
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    72.19-123.95 miles means we made it and then some! Sorry ladies I have been offline. The internet has been wonky the last couple of days for some reason and I wasnt able to get on to tally! So we made it to NYC and beyond! Where would we like to go from here? As promised here is our picture collage for our efforts!
  • tanniew78
    Options
    ny-new-york-city-bridge-sunset-sunrise-lights-of-skyline_zps0bdcdc12.jpg

newyorkcity2_zpsfc641c58.jpg

empire-state-building-pop_3042_zps4c28731b.jpg
    Empire State Building view from the bottom

20081011-133005-1_zps2c7c3372.jpg
    Empire State View from the top

kveus7549s_zpsf012a671.jpg
    Belvadere Castle in Central Park

ny_central_park_zps0eb499da.jpg
    Central Park

101106_110718centralparknewyorkcity_zps7adefc62.jpg
    Central Park Bridge (sure youve seen this in a movie or two.... lol)

cn_imagesizetwilight-carriage-ride-central-park_zps99b46335.jpg
    Central Park

nyc-condos-near-times-square-clinton_0_zps92fed16a.jpg
    Times Square

New-York-Time-Square_zpsb34aae3b.jpg
    Times Square
  • wahelga
    Options
    That just means we spent some time walking around the city sightseeing LOL
  • tanniew78
    Options
    New York is huge so I wouldnt doubt it. lol. I want to get more of the gems though from the smaller towns and stuff. Things you wouldnt stop to see. These sights in New York, while fabulous, you can see them on tv and movies and even in books just about any time you want to. Who knew there was a cute castle in Meriden CT? lol thats the stuff I want us to find, so I gotta figure out how to do this when the internet is wonky... It doesnt happen often but still....
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello I am too late to join?
    I hiked last Friday, Saturday & Sunday 15km/day, for a total of 45 kms = 27 miles 169 yards-I think!
    That was an elevation of x3 x800metres = 1 mile 864yds - ?
    Maybe I should just post the kms and someone better than me convert?
    Jan
  • chattyts
    chattyts Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love hiking and we just got back into it. We go as a family on the weekends now plus my husband and I do a separate hike every other Friday that he is off. It really does burn calories. I live in Southern California and we have plenty of hiking trails in Orange County in the Wilderness Parks and also around Los Angeles. This weekend we are doing a 5 mile hike to caves, trying to work up to the longer hikes.
  • Janiot
    Options
    Hello - hubby & I are in training to walk the Kokoda track in 12 weeks time -
    the best foods I have found when we do a 15 km hike up Mt Tennent in the ACT (elevation 1,375 metres) is to have a good breakfast - for me porridge or allbran, then during the walk I eat a Tony Fergusson berry munch bar over 2 stops and just before the steepest parts of the climb a couple of jelly beans, then at the top I eat a piece of cheese and an apple and drink lots and lots of water - about 1.5 -2 litres last weekend - it was 25 degrees. I am carrying a 9.5 kg pack (about 21 pounds). It takes us about 2.5 hours to get up and 2 hours to get down.
    Picture below:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/Mount_Tennent_viewed_from_Point_Hut_Road_in_Paddys_River,_ACT.jpg
  • wahelga
    Options
    Wow, the Kokoda Track. That's amazing and while I don't think it will be fun, I do think it will an incredible and life changing event. Good on you :drinker:

We don't have real hills here in WA so I mainly walk on the flat (or what you would call the flat) but we do boast the Bibbulmun Track and the Munda Bindi Trail - two awesome long distance trails. And the Coast to Coast which is beautiful and horrid due to soft sand stretches.

Most of my walks are day walks (max 6-10 hours) as that's easy to organise and fit in, but I do want to do the Great Ocean Road for my 50th.
  • Janiot
    Options
    I emigrated ito Perth in 1986 and met my husband in Perth 24 years ago now - spent most of my late 20's at the beach/ or drinking somewhere- memories.....
  • wahelga
    Options
    Yep, its a beautiful city. Beaches, river, hills, bush ... sigh. Sometimes when I ride along the river I see a couple of dolphins or a small bull shark, along with all the bird life.

I've added a couple of photos to my profile. One of the river near my home where I walk most days and ride occasionally. And the other of the river in the city (with the swans in the foreground)
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: Gorgeous Photos Ladies!! The Castle is my Favorite of the New York sights! Tannie, New York is a Beautiful City and I just wish we had been able to do more sightseeing when my Hubby and I were there. We did see Times Square and the Empire State Building and Grand Central but that is about all. We would love to come back sometime when it is not So Cold (we were there in January) and when we have time to see everything!
    :heart: Your River is beautiful. It has to be wonderful to be able to walk there! The shot of the Swans and the City is Fabulous!