c25k beginner... some advice please

Options
after working out with jillian michaels dvds for the last 6 months or so, i decided to start c25k as ive always wanted to be a runner. my current plan is c25k 3 days a week and jillians no more trouble zones (strength training) 2 days. ive done the first week of c25k twice this week so far. my problem is that while walking, my shins are killing me but strangely, while running they feel great. despite the advice i read everywhere to take it slow etc, i had to substitute 2 of the walking parts for running because the walking hurt too much. what may i be doing wrong? any advice?

also, im wondering if it is strange that my walking speed is 4.0 (on a treadmill), which is a brisk walk for me (short legs lol) , but so is my (slow) jogging speed. from what ive read, a beginner should be running as slow as possible but seems odd that it is the same speed as my walking. my plan is to first get to running for 30 minutes straight and then start working on my speed but is this too slow and should i increase it?

any advice for a beginner runner is welcome! TIA

Replies

• dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dydn11402
    Options
    and bump again :)
  • dydn11402
    Options
    trying again here... anybody?
  • juliacougarrrr
    juliacougarrrr Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm definitely no expert but I can give you my ideas. :0) Keep in mind I am a super slow runner and the most I've ever run is just over 7k at once.

I have done the C25K and LOVED it! I started walking fairly slowly and running really slowly, 3.4 & 4.1, but every run I increased both so that I was walking at 4 and running at 5.5. I kinda fell off the running wagon and have started the program again to build up my lung capacity/endurance again so I am walking at 3.8 and running at 5. So I would say whatever is comfortable for you is good, but maybe try to bump up the running speed .2 and see how that is. You could try dropping the walking speed to 3.8 so you have more of a difference... I found the most important thing was being able to maintain the running, even if it was at a sloooooow pace. Hey, I've gotten passed by speed walkers before while I was running! LOL

ETA: Forgot to mention if you are strictly on the treadmill, it may be good to make sure you are at a 1-3 incline. I remember reading that somewhere and it seemed like good advice. I usually run at 1.5 to 2. I had slight shin splints that were primarily noticeable when I was walking too. It wasn't too painful so I continued and they eventually went away.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My advice:

1. Slow down your walking.
    2. Get fitted for shoes - it makes a huge difference. Go to a running specialty store.
    3. Stretch after you run.
    4. Do a short yoga session a couple of times a week. It really helps.
    5. Get a foam roller.
    6. Make sure your form is good. You're probably heel striking when you walk (it's pretty common and can cause a lot of pain). Go to this website: www.goodformrunning.com
  • Shim2013
    Shim2013 Posts: 48
    Options
    What is the foam roller for? I seen others post it but never what it is used for or what it does.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My advice:

2. Get fitted for shoes - it makes a huge difference. Go to a running specialty store.
    5. Get a foam roller.
    6. Make sure your form is good. You're probably heel striking when you walk (it's pretty common and can cause a lot of pain). Go to this website: www.goodformrunning.com

What is a foam roller and what does one do with a foam roller??
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Slow down your walking speed. It doesn't make sense to me that you have the same speed for running and walking. Are you just picking your knees up higher? My walking is a 3.5 and running 5 (during the interval weeks) or 4.7 when i did the weeks with solid running. I also second the advice on raising incline a bit if you're on the treadmill. I always bump it up at least .5.
  • levicrouch
    levicrouch Posts: 99
    Options
    Usually shin splints are due to calf muscles that are too tight. When running warm up by walking or light jog (5-10 minutes). Gently stretch your calf muscles, then run. Concentrate on running form. If your feet are out ahead of your body, or your feet 'slap', you could be trying to go too fast. Let your body and pain be your guide.
  • levicrouch
    levicrouch Posts: 99
    Options
    My advice:

5. Get a foam roller.

From what i have read about the foam roller is to 'roll' your muscles over it to loosen the muscles and promote recovery. Some folks use it before a run to help warm-up and get blood flowing to the muscles. Some use it after to recover. "The Stick" does a good job as well. I use my foam roller only occasionally when i feel my IT band needs it.
  • Shim2013
    Shim2013 Posts: 48
    Options
    QUOTE:

QUOTE:

My advice:

5. Get a foam roller.

From what i have read about the foam roller is to 'roll' your muscles over it to loosen the muscles and promote recovery. Some folks use it before a run to help warm-up and get blood flowing to the muscles. Some use it after to recover. "The Stick" does a good job as well. I use my foam roller only occasionally when i feel my IT band needs it.

Thanks for that explanation.
  • dydn11402
    Options
    op here.
    i took the advice and today reduced my walk speed to 3.7 and increased my jog speed to 4.5 and i had no pain! felt amazing. my form while walking fast must be off as i think i do hit with my heel first. walking slower made all the difference.
    thanks everybody for taking the time to respond.