Lost lbs then gained them in a day

Options
Hey everyone! My name is ashlee and I am currently training for a half marathon. I've been stuck at a plateau for the longest time and yesterday I finally lost 2 lbs. I weighed myself at about 930 A.M and after I ran about 9 miles. However, today I was less active and only walked for an hour and I did zumba. I weighed myself after zumba and I was up 2 lbs. I know you shouldn't weigh yourself at night but I don't get why it would show I am up two lbs because i've never had this problem before (I used to weigh myself in the morning one day and I'd weigh the same at night the next day). I drink 11 cups of water everyday so I know I am not dehydrated. Thanks!

Replies

• ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to poop.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It's just normal weight fluctuations. Most people weigh a little more at night then they do in the morning. You would have to eat 7000 calories over your maintenance calories to actually gain 2 lbs in fat. Although possible, I highly doubt that you ate 7000 calories over maintenance in less than a day. Also consider the fact that a Gallon of water is approximately 8lbs.
  • gazzala85
    gazzala85 Posts: 19
    Options
    weigh yourself in morning after doing a wee :)
  • levicrouch
    levicrouch Posts: 99
    Options
    Water weighs ~8lbs per gallon.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, just because you haven't seen fluctuations before doesn't mean they don't happen.

If you have upped your activity level a lot, you might be holding on to water. Weigh yourself tomorrow morning, after going to the restroom. Better yet, wait a couple of days and then do it.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates 4lbs a day it's water weight don't slave over a scale it will discourage you! Or it could be muscle gain as well

High sodium intake can result in this as well
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Food and drink add weight significantly. You should always weigh yourself at the same time of day, preferably a.m. :drinker: :drinker:
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    It's just normal weight fluctuations. Most people weigh a little more at night then they do in the morning. You would have to eat 7000 calories over your maintenance calories to actually gain 2 lbs in fat. Although possible, I highly doubt that you ate 7000 calories over maintenance in less than a day. Also consider the fact that a Gallon of water is approximately 8lbs.

this!
  • ashleexmarie
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Also, do you think I should up my calories from 1200?
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    All of the running and other physical activity causes you to retain water. By the end of the day, your muscles retain water to repair themselves and the food you've eaten for the day is still all being processed. You're naturally heavier in the evening due to these facts. You will usually weigh the least in the AM. :)
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    As long as you feel good, feel faster, better and stronger, does the weight matter?
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I always weigh at least 4-5# more at night
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Also, do you think I should up my calories from 1200?

You're training for a half marathon so yes. Do you normally eat back your exercise calories?
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to poop.

yes, this... POOP!!!
  • ashleexmarie
    Options

You're training for a half marathon so yes. Do you normally eat back your exercise calories?

Typically I don't eat back my exercise calories. Very few days I do though.
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options

You are training for a marathon and only eating 1200 calories?

The obvious answer is that you need to eat more.

However, something is not adding up.
    If you are running 9 miles in a day (-900 calories) you are living on 300 calories a day?
    Doing this for a few days and you probably wouldn't have the energy to run,

Are you sure you are eating 1200 calories a day?