It's just not worth it to eat out

Options
2»

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the problem with eating out is the portions. A 6" sub is HUGE but we've been conditioned to think it's a small portion because they also sell the 12" (which is beyond huge).

Nahh, I think it's about right....but I'm bigger than the average American.

We eat out so rarely, that I pretty much don't worry about it. Now, if I find myself in a position where I have to hit some FF for a meal, I just chalk that up to poor planning and promise myself to plan better next time.
  • Afields6780
    Afields6780 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Moderation moderation moderation,,,,, we can and deserve when the time is right and if we make the best choice we can make. We are humans with busy lifes and sometimes there is a need and all we can do is pick the best choice we can and be happy with it. Eatting out is obviouosly not the choice of most considering what you could eat at home fore 500 calories but you cant beat yourself up over it. I am sorry but i am not a big fan of never have.... that is just ridiculous and not practical in th big picture of life. Good Luck
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I guess the funny thing is, I went there thinking it was comparable to Subway (which I usually choose if I have to eat lunch out).
    Couldn't believe the difference in calories. I chose that rather than McDonalds where I sometimes "treat" myself to a kids cheeseburger happy meal with a real coke... that would have only been 80 calories more than my sub and I would have enjoyed it more. LOL.
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I went to Quiznos and got my favourite sub as a treat, should have researched it first. 1300 calories... I nearly threw up in my mouth.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree that the main problem with subs is the bread! You can make yourself a much healthier sub at home and have control over the calories and what else you put in it...cheaper and tastes better :)
  • laura11248
    laura11248 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have to say...going out to dinner in NY was easy. By law they are required to put calories on the menu. I wish it were like that here in NC. I was shocked by some items that I thought were healthy and turned out not to be.

I am facing a tough week ahead...we are going to Disney and they do not post calories anywhere. I also discovered I have TMJ this week...so doc says nothing hard which means fruits and veggies must be steamed. Hard to eat healthy when not in the home with those constraints. URGH!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have been eating at home since we got back into our house (after a month of living in a hotel!)
    Went to Jersey Mike's today and got a turkey sub, no mayo, no oil, no cheese.
    I thought that was a good choice.
    Came home to log it only to find out that it was STILL 500 calories!

It's really irritating.

It all depends on how you look at it. What other things have you eaten and drank during the day and did the final tally add up to taking you over your quota? If it is within your calorie allotment by the end of the day, I can't see the problem. It is not as if you would be eating those turkey subs everyday anyway is it.
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It's that darned white bread! Cut it in half or eat a sandwich open-faced, and maybe have some fruit on the side to fill you up the rest of the way. Most of us eat fatty chips to further compound the whole bread problem. I'm totally guilty as I love chips! Gotta change my bad ways. Oh yeah, and love the 3rd thing a sandwich place packed in my sack lunch the other day - a 300-500 calorie cookie. Nice little "treat" which we call "dinner" in myfitnesspal language!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Dump the 6" sub toppings on a pile of lettuce or spinach, add a little bit of EVOO, vinegar, oregano, and black pepper and you've got a pretty darn good meal with a good, healthy protein/carb/fat balance.

+1 also to the suggestion for using lettuce leaf wraps if the restaurant offers them. Those are also very tasty.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Its the bread, some shops like Jimmy Johns offer subs wrapped in lettuce instead of bread

they also make their sandwiches into a 'sub in a tub' without the bread or any one of the breads can be subbed for a whole-grain wrap.
  • Pattitude
    Pattitude Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For me, eating out is hard because of the sodium. I don't have high blood pressure, but I still always want to stay within my sodium limits because I hate that "bloated" feeling (and I'm also so anal that seeing any of my numbers in red at the end of the day makes me want to cry). I always, always, always pull up the nutritional info of a restaurant before I go so that I know what I'm up against and I can make an informed decision. Just the other day my family insisted on going to Olive Garden... one of my weaknesses. I planned ahead and got the grilled salmon with vegetables, ate one small plate of the unlimited salad, and completely avoided the breadsticks. I think my sodium was somewhere near 1800 for just that ONE meal!

Eating out has always been something that I have truly enjoyed... a nice date with my fiance, a long dinner with family, appetizers and drinks with my girlfriends. Now that I've seen enough nutritional information for some of my favorite restaurants, I absolutely loathe it. Of course I will allow myself to splurge every once in awhile... but it's SO hard when going out to eat seems to be the staple "thing to do" amongst my social circle!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Its nice to eat out once in a while...like once a week
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Its nice to eat out once in a while...like once a week

Holy cow you've lost a lot of weight....nicey nice!!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    ...well, I look at eating out as a challenge..... Planning ahead is key. Pretty much all of the chains post their calories on line and some may have printouts in the restaurant.

Have you ever looked at the "Eat This Not That" books? They serve as a great guideline for looking at restaurant food. Also, fish and seafood are great low cal options. Even at places like Red Lobster where food is soaked in butter, seafood is generally a calorie cheap option. Just skip the fat-laden carbs and don't order the battered and deep fried options!
  • needamulligan
    Options
    I have to say...going out to dinner in NY was easy. By law they are required to put calories on the menu. I wish it were like that here in NC. I was shocked by some items that I thought were healthy and turned out not to be.

I am facing a tough week ahead...we are going to Disney and they do not post calories anywhere. I also discovered I have TMJ this week...so doc says nothing hard which means fruits and veggies must be steamed. Hard to eat healthy when not in the home with those constraints. URGH!
  • needamulligan
    Options

I wish the rest of the country would follow New York's lead! Also, if you follow "The Unofficial Guide to Disney World" you will walk off all of those extra calories! And, following the trip plans works to get on the most rides, more than once if you so choose!

...finicky computer....sorry about the double posts!
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat salads alot when I have to get food fast. Saladworks and Chick Filet have great salads and they're quite balanced and healthy. I use to eat Subway everyday, sometimes twice a day, but I have found they tend to have alot of sodium in their offerings and that is something that I must now be really concious of. If you have a Saladworks around that would be my recommendation. Their Cobb Salad is delicious! =0)