Advantages to counting points instead?

Options
A girlfriend and I are both working on getting me fit and walk together regularly. She has been doing Weight Watchers with a reasonable amount of success. I'm super proud of her, and want to support her decision so regularly ask her about her meetings. Today while we were out, she suggest that while she knew "tracked my stuff," that maybe I "should try counting points for a week to jump start my program."

Honestly I was a bit insulted, (as I've pretty much been losing an average of two pounds a week for the last two months), and was quick to disregard the suggestion. I didn't see much point in switching from watching calories and other macros, to a more abstract system of points.

But perhaps I allowed my emotional reaction to keep me learning of possible advantages. So for those of you who have experience counting points, what would you consider to be the advantages and disadvantages?

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a waste of time if you are already logging your calories here. Also I think counting calories is better because it is a better tool to help you develop the habits you need to lose weight and maintain it once you get to goal.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Counting points works, but can get a bit complicated because everything you eat has to be converted from carbs, fiber, protein, and fat to get the appropriate points value so you either need to get the calculator or sign up for e-tools. I did it for over a year before my local meeting was closed and I tried to just switch from the monthly pass to online only...that didn't go well. They closed my account before the month was up and then expected me to pay a registration fee to get it back. The program works, but it felt like they didn't particularly care about the customer when it takes four days to get a reply that they've already taken action on and STILL didn't answer the questions asked.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You are losing just fine and there is no benifit to using the points other than it takes a bit less effort than calorie counting. I'm a lifetime member of WW and have been with them for over 25 years and I will never be going back even though it's free for me. This is better because you get much better support here and you can watch your macros. At WW you can eat crap all day as long as you hit your points which are by the way wayyyy too low for healthy weight loss.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    WW points are just overcomplicating a very simple concept - counting calories. Nothing is going to change if you switch methods. You're losing 2lbs a week, which is amazing. Keep up the good work while she keeps paying for a more annoying method of doing the same thing.
  • Shelby4350
    Shelby4350 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The current Pro Points system (in Australia but I think it's the same everywhere just different names) is good in the sense that it rewards 'better' food choices overall. E.g. almost all fruit and veg are 0 points (raw or cooked without adding anything). Putting recipes that are more fruit/veg based into this system will make them lower overall points than the same amount of calories of, for example, a low fat macaroni cheese. Points also seem to be weighted slightly in favour of protein or complex carbs instead of simple carbs as well. For example something like 200 calories of lean chicken breast might be 5 Pro Points, while the same calories in white bread would be 6 Pro Points. This encourages you to make better choices with your daily points budget. However, I personally I had trouble sticking with it because it was like learning a new language and I didn't really have time for that. Plus I always felt like I was starving when I stuck to the basic daily allowance.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    If you have found something that works for you then sick with it, Everyone does things differently.

i agree that its way to complicated, I did it for a couple of week and gave up because i found it frustrating to figure out how many point i was eating.

Good work on your loose too!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input :-) That is all what my intuition was saying, but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't making an decision based on emotions instead of logic.

I'm glad the system is working for her, so she has my support 100%. Just don't feel it makes sense for me and where I am at.
  • StaycJulia
    StaycJulia Posts: 32
    Options
    I have done both and I feel whatever works for you is best.I lose with both systems but I know that when I am counting points, I tend to eat more fruits and vegetables because they are zero. When I count calories, I tend to not eat as many. The points just guide you toward healthier choices.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't know your friend, so this is just my thoughts based on what you wrote- but I'm wondering if her motivation is that WW points has really worked for her and she wants you to have the same successes, and I don't think that was to less your success- just that maybe for her POV she feels it was just a really positive thing for her and wants to share that with you? Or, what I'd think is more likely is that she wants a buddy on the same system- so like if ya'll go out for lunch or something you guys are using the same value system to determine food choices and to log them. Like a solidarity thing?

Years ago I counted points, this was before the newer and newest versions of counting points- and if you had the database printout to log around and looked at menus online and pre planned everything- then it was doable- but for me that wasn't sustainable. Probably now with the e-tools it could be- but why pay for that when MFP is free? And converting exercise points is way more complicated than it needs to be- and MFP shows you macros and selected micros- which can be helpful too. Both sites have a recipe builder- that's a plus. But I think for some people paying for something makes it hold more value or can be it's own motivator- like "I'm paying for it, might as well use it." Who knows, in a few weeks or so she might decide your way is better! But even if not having a walking buddy is very helpful!