blowout = weight gain

Options
I went out for a meal on friday night - I ate 3 slices of a 9inch pizza, half a loaded potato skin ( conservative for the old me) and then went onto to drink numerous cocktails.

The result was obvious - a weight gain of 2lbs!!

My question is, will restricting carbs and alcohol for the week and increased exercise (i'm awaiting 30DS to be delivered) bring me back on track for my next weigh in on friday morning?

Replies

• Juno99
    Juno99 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I say wait a couple of days until you have a bathroom visit and meanwhile drink alot of water. You will be surprise when you weight your self again. I doubt you gain 2 lbs from just one night. :wink:
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Can't hurt. Could some of the gain be from too much sodium? Pizza is a good one for that.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Just like you really need to be in a calorie deficit of about 3500 calories per week to lose one pound, you have to be on the plus side of 3500 calories to gain a pound, so unless you ate 7000 calories more than you burned that day, you didn't gain 2 pounds from that meal. I agree with other give it a couple days, but also know that a 2 pound fluctuation is normal from day to day.
  • Gayalabeille
    Options
    Hello Loxley,

I would say just do as you usually do. The 2 lbs are not really gained: most of the time after a few drinks you put some weight a couple of days after but it is mainly water retention.
    So I would say: Don't worry, I hope you enjoyed your Friday and get back on track this week, all should be well on your scale in a few days.

;)
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Just like you really need to be in a calorie deficit of about 3500 calories per week to lose one pound, you have to be on the plus side of 3500 calories to gain a pound, so unless you ate 7000 calories more than you burned that day, you didn't gain 2 pounds from that meal. I agree with other give it a couple days, but also know that a 2 pound fluctuation is normal from day to day.

Agreed.... what you describe was not 7000 extra calories (unless you did some seriously heavy duty drinking!!) Probably sodium, drink lots of water - exercise extra this week, it'll come back down - and yea, it's normal for your weight to vary a few pounds throughout the day anyway.
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Can't hurt. Could some of the gain be from too much sodium? Pizza is a good one for that.

I agree. I ate a lot of salty junk one day, gained. 1.2 lbs and chugged the water the next. The gain was gone by the end of the second day.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The scale is devious! I doubt you gained 2 pounds from that. Check yourself again in a few days.
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    I agree with everybody else. You have to remember that when you eat that amount of salt or drink a lot of alcohol, you are going to retain water. You did both, so you are probably retaining a lot of water. Take everybody else's advice and drink lots of water (more than usual if you drink alot already) for the next day or so and you will be fine.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I went out for a meal on friday night - I ate 3 slices of a 9inch pizza, half a loaded potato skin ( conservative for the old me) and then went onto to drink numerous cocktails.

The result was obvious - a weight gain of 2lbs!!

My question is, will restricting carbs and alcohol for the week and increased exercise (i'm awaiting 30DS to be delivered) bring me back on track for my next weigh in on friday morning?

Restrict your alcohol for the week, eat your daily allowance of calories and do your exercise. Eat lots of protein to make you feel full and you may find the 2lbs you gained just falls straight back off.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    i ate a bunch of pizza and halloween candy last night and saw a 5 pound increase on the scale this morning. although, i woke up with a super dry mouth so i think it's higher sodium.
  • FavDaughter1
    Options
    Everyone has a cheat day! I myself just had a cheat weekend :drinker:
    I meet with my personal trainer every Wednesday and Sunday, and we always review my food diary since our last session. When I told him that I had been "bad" the last couple days, he said next time you have a cheat day, you can get back on track the following day by eating high protein / very low carb and drinking lots of water. Of course, he also recommended not having too many cheat days...:tongue:
  • ActionJackson
    Options
    I agree. One bad day is not going to hurt you physically. Its the mental part that has the potential to do more damage. My two cents is don't beat yourself up. Your weight can fluctuate 5lbs daily anyway. Do a little more exercise for a day or so and it will be as if you never gorged. You be fine as long as your head is.
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice - I've tried to have loads of water today and eat alot more protein. Plus i've started the 30DS as my new DVD arrived today - so hopefully the 2lbs will just melt away. lol!

hopefully my next night out will be more reserved and i'll stay away from the cocktails!
  • caroleh78
    caroleh78 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've done the same. Had half a large dominos, wedges and strippers and ben & jerrys after. low carbs for a couple of days and loads of water, top tips here thanks!