Kashi question

Options
jbwegner
jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
So I've been trying to eliminate processed foods from my diet. In Jillian Michael's book Mastering Your Metabolism, she gives a small list of brands of processed foods that are "OK" if you must eat something processed. One of the OK brands is Kashi. So I bought some of their bars yesterday which are quite tastey. But the ingredient list does not look very "clean" or whole or whatever. I know they're not organic, but they seem to have a lot of chemicals. What do you guys think? I'm trying to avoid chemicals, fillers, perservatives, etc. I'm not sure I know enough about the ingredients to make an educated decision. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• la4et
    la4et Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My rule: You can't watch everything. If you like them, then have one once in a while
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    In general, when I've looked at them I haven't gotten past the sugars. Way too much sugar for me! But I suppose if you are going to get anything processed its probably going to have some chemicals, both for taste and elongated shelf life.
  • candican
    candican Posts: 96
    Options
    I say just do the best you can. It's hard to cook almost everything you eat. Just try to limit the processed foods and enjoy a Kashi bar once in a while! :o)
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    check out Lara bars. compare them to the Kashi bars and see if they are better. I am not familar with Kashi but I think Lara bars are pretty "clean"

http://www.larabar.com/
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I would suggest you check out Larabars (100% fruit & nut bars) and/or Bora Bora all natural bars (both without processed sugar!). I have found them at Sam's, Trader Joes and/or Costco as well as individually at grocery stores. They have about 190 calories per bar and are very natural. And for me the treat is that I actually love their taste, which I haven't been able to say about other such products; though I have not tried Kashi.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I love kashi cereal, i have a bowl for breakfast and keeps me full until lunch. And provide alot of protein! Its impossible to eliminate all process foods but I think kashi is still a good choice.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, I looked at the Larabar website. They only list a few, whole ingredients. Are there really that few ingredients in them??!! I picked Kashi over other bars because they had fewer calories and more protein and fiber. But I think better, healthier ingredients would outweigh those factors.