How do you clean sweaty workout clothes?

Options
After I wash my clothes they still smell like sweaty BO-help!!!!!

Replies

• QuinceyBethx3
    Options
    Maybe try changing your detergent or using fabric softeners. Also you could try to switch up using hot/cold water.
  • emcclore
    emcclore Posts: 38
    Options
    I use tide w/bleach and I wash them on a load alone. Sometimes my intense workout clothes, I let soak for about 30min before I wash. If that is good enough... try adding a bit of regular baking soda to your wash, let it soak then was as normal....

good luck!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    It could be the oil form your skin? Try soaking the clothing with a little dishwashing liquid (breaks down oils) or with some nappysan. A hot wash may also fix this but be careful about your sports bra in the hot wash
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Maybe try changing your detergent or using fabric softeners. Also you could try to switch up using hot/cold water.

Fabric softener is not recommended for wicking type clothing.

I have read about adding 1/4 a cup of vinegar to the wash. The biggest thing I have found so far though is to let my clothes dry if I don't wash them right away. I used to throw them in the laundry basket and they would stay damp and smell. I hang them to dry now, then out in hamper until I have enough for a load of laundry.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi, Try Tide and Downey. Works well for me.

Good luck!:smile:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

I have read about adding 1/4 a cup of vinegar to the wash. The biggest thing I have found so far though is to let my clothes dry if I don't wash them right away. I used to throw them in the laundry basket and they would stay damp and smell. I hang them to dry now, then out in hamper until I have enough for a load of laundry.

yes vinegar.
    also try baking soda or borax. all of them help with odor, and used with the detergent.
    some people even use vinegar in place of fabric softener.
  • amiaow
    amiaow Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use an enzymatic washing powder, cold water and no fabric softener- no problems here. You could soak them in napisan or similar before washing them too.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options

yes vinegar.
    also try baking soda or borax. all of them help with odor, and used with the detergent.

At what stage of the wash cycle do you add the vinegar?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

yes vinegar.

At what stage of the wash cycle do you add the vinegar?

I put it in with the detergent. But I've read about putting it in the fabric softener dispenser - that helps to remove any residue that might fade dark clothes (what I read anyway)
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    If its really bad you can use sportwash

sportwash.jpg

You can find it in places like cabellas, ****s sporting goods, dunhams... I used it for cloth diapers before if they were a nasty load and it makes things smellproof.
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    If its really bad you can use sportwash

sportwash.jpg

You can find it in places like cabellas, ****s sporting goods, dunhams... I used it for cloth diapers before if they were a nasty load and it makes things smellproof.

This stuff really works! I get mine from Amazon
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Pre-soaking has really helped us. Our washer is really old but has a 20-minute pre-soak cycle. Sometimes we do two cycles before starting the wash cycle.