Struggling to lose

Options
Last time I was on mfp I stayed at 1200 calories and lost 56lb or something similar to that but put about 30lb of that back on when I started eating higher again - my own fault I know.

This time round I found 1200 too hard to do and was just binging at the night time, so I upped it too 1400 + it works a bit better. Mostly I hit my goal, occasionally go over, I'm only human! But mostly I'd say I'm on track.

I exercise as and when, I don't have much of a routine yet - but I am trying! Always make sure I'm above 1200 calories when I exercise too. But there is plenty of room for improvement if I'm honest.

My tdee is 2060, I'm 5ft 3, 199lb & 21 years old.

I eat alot of carbs, and not enough protein I think, I get anything between 30-70 grams of protein a day but can get about 200+ carbs easily, never over on my saturated fats & rarely go too high in my sodium.

Since I started again I lost 3-4lb in the first 3 weeks, but now I've gone up 5lb since then, I doubt it's water weight although I'm not great with my water I usually managed 4-5 cups on average a day, a coffee & 1-2 diet cokes.

Why am I gaining weight, and what would you advise me too do? Less carbs maybe?

I'm not losing inches either, my clothes are tighter than ever.
Hope this is enough information for a bit of advise.

It's really getting me down now & I'm struggling to stay on track, I just want to be able to wear last years clothes without feeling like I can breathe!! & it is gutting too see the scale moving up and not down.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    your diary isnt open, but it doesnt sound like you are doing anything 'wrong'.

do you NET 1400?

What sort of exercise do you do? maybe try changing that up? try something new, or change your routine a bit?
  • luziferl
    luziferl Posts: 82
    Options
    bump - interested in the answers :)
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hey there.

First off, 1200 or even 1400 aren't enough. You recognized your weight bouncing up again as soon as you started eating more.
    If your TDEE is 2060, you should eat ~1650 kcals a day (TDEE -20%).

Try hitting your macros. A common split is 40% carbs, 30% protein & 30% fats. Take some time to work out what split works for you.

Exercising isn't a must if you want to lose weight, but I would recommend you to do it regularly to make sure your body isn't burning too much muscle while you lose weight (because you actually don't want to lose weight, you want to lose FAT and keep your lean body mass).
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I this what I do

I am on 1200 a day I keep my food changing all the time so I don't eat the same foods day in day out

I exercise most days and I eat back my cals so I don't get hungry

my exercise is
    2 session weights and abs, 2 cardo, 2 mixed personal trainers program at the gym (some day I train twice a day at the gym)
    1-2 classes of karate a week
    1 -2 walking / orienteering/ hiking a week

drink 8 glass of water

good amount of sleep

I hope this helps

anyone can add me
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.

Yes I usually always eat 1400 calories, occasionally I dip below but rarely and even then it's over 1200.

When I over eat I don't tend to go over my maintenance calories anyway, so I don't understand why I'm gaining.

Surely if I up it by another 250 calories, I'll put on even more? I know sometimes more means losing but, I don't see that I'm overdoing it on 1400 calories now as it is, if that makes sense.

And yeah, I wish I had the thirst for exercise, I always feel great whilst doing it and after it, but everything leading up too it is such a task! I'm just a tad lazy!

& As for the % of carbs ect, 40, 30, 30. How do I work out the grams of each one I should set it too? I don't understand what the % comes from, sorry! Noob question I guess.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    If you struggle with eating lower numbers just adjust your calorie goal to 1600 - 1700, and for example exercise to net 1400 average for the week. Or if you prefer to eat more on weekends, net lower for the week (exercise harder) to have a larger calorie intake for the weekend. It's all about planning, numbers and dedication.. judge weight loss by your measurements and clothing as well! Good luck.

Also it wouldn't hurt to figure out your BMR and try to net that daily.. it's what I do. Although I don't lose as quickly I still have freedom to eat.
  • gel91
    Options
    I tend to eat different things most days to be honest, meal wises. Snacks are usually the same old fruit and such.

With sleep I get roughly 5-6 hours a night, bit longer on weekends. I'm never really tired on that amount of sleep but I do find myself wanting to eat more if I eat early?

& With the water, I'm great till about 4 o clock when I start cooking dinners doing the house work ect, I tend to grab a coke and it'll last me a few hours so water goes out my mind
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1400 and eating back exercise calories (because I know if I didn't track exercise I'd skip a few...and be back to couch potato before you know it!) I work full time Mon-Fri so I squeeze in bits of exercise. A typical day would be:

20 mins aerobic/toning DVD workout before breakfast
    Walk to work (15 mins 3-3.5mph)
    Lunchtime walk (weather permitting) 20 mins 3.5 mph
    Walk home 15 mins 3mph
    evening workout 30-45 mins, either aerobic/toning DVD or Wii Zumba

Monday evening is Zumba class (1 hour) and weekends I put in a long walk both days (weather permitting) instead of longer workout. But if the weather is nice and hubs is on early shif then I might walk in the evening - like yesterday - instead of workout.

I was doing OK on MFP settings until it bumped me down to just over 1200 - then I found it a real struggle!
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    & As for the % of carbs ect, 40, 30, 30. How do I work out the grams of each one I should set it too? I don't understand what the % comes from, sorry! Noob question I guess.

You can set your macro goals under MY HOME -> GOALS -> CHANGE GOALS -> CUSTOM.
    If you'd google it, you'd most likely get the suggestion of 55% carbs, 30% fats and 15% protein. But when losing weight, you want to keep your lean body mass (=muscles) and lose fat. To keep your muscle mass, you have to exercise (strength training to keep your muscles "busy") and provide your muscles enough protein so your body doesn't burn them.
  • gel91
    Options
    Ok, so using 40 30 30

Does this sound about right

160g carbs
    140g protein
    53g fat

That is if I was too up my calories too 1600.

Which just still seems like an awful lot of calories! I'd imagine that was more of a maintain amount!!?

Thanks again for the replies, it's always good to be more educated!
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 4, 199lbs, and I wasnt losing much at 1500 a day so now I am netting 1650ish a day, doing strength training 2-3 times a week, and I have lost 2 dress sizes and am losing at a nice rate.

I think 1400 is too far under your TDEE, try eating a bit more, exercise when you can, and drink more! The diet cokes are quite high in sodium so maybe limit to one, and drink more flavoured waters instead?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Ok, so using 40 30 30

160g carbs
    140g protein
    53g fat

Which just still seems like an awful lot of calories! I'd imagine that was more of a maintain amount!!?

i eat about 2200 to maintain, so to me, 1600 seems like so little!!

those figures look fine. anything over 100g of protein is good!
  • gel91
    Options
    Oooh, I like that your similar stats too me and you've had results. I've just updated my diary for now so I'll give the extra calories a shot and see what changes.

I'll try drop the coke too and get some exercise in most days.

Thank you!
  • gel91
    Options
    Ok, so using 40 30 30

160g carbs
    140g protein
    53g fat

i eat about 2200 to maintain, so to me, 1600 seems like so little!!

those figures look fine. anything over 100g of protein is good!

Thanks for the reply! 2200 is easily done on crap, but must be quite a challenge on healthy food??
    Can you give me some of your ideas for protein please?
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    You're welcome! :)
    Let us know how you're doing!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Thanks for the reply! 2200 is easily done on crap, but must be quite a challenge on healthy food??
    Can you give me some of your ideas for protein please?

i'm hoping you're not vegetarian as i like my meat!

chicken & turkey are the lowest cal meat, fat free greek yoghurt, cheese (light), cottage cheese, prawns, fish, white fish is low fat and low cal, or salmon or tuna which are higher cal but good fats, eggs, milk, beans.

if you're from the uk morrisons sell spicy broadbeans and savoury roast soya whihc are good snacks, high in protein.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Also, as long as you are eating below your TDEE, you will not gain weight. In fact, you will need to eat your TDEE PLUS 500 cals a day for a week to put a pound back on. So don't panic if you go over your 1500 or 1600 goal, the loss might be slower, but it will be consistent, and I always think its better to lose slowly so theres less chance of it coming back.

And I noted that you are in the UK, i mostly drink no added sugar diluted squash. Sometimes I log it, but i drink so little of it that its maybe 15 calories a day so thats why its not in my diary.

I guess as we have similar stats, my diary is a good place to look for high protein ideas too.
    I have added you, good luck :)
  • gel91
    Options
    Thank you for adds!

Yep I'm in the UK.

I don't drink squash, never found a taste that I liked really. Never strong enough for me!

Turkey & chicken are my first loves when it comes to meat so that is no problem!! I hate yoghurt/cottage cheese, anything with a thick texture makes me feel ill!

But there is defo some things there I can work with!