Work through pain or rest?

Options
Today should be day 3 of The 30 Day Shred for me. But I am a hurtin unit. And I don't mean just a little. All day today I had HUGE problems getting up and down from a seated position (made going to the bathroom interesting!) :laugh: I am walking like a broken duck no matter how hard I try to "act normal" and my abs/tris are just generally really angry. I can deal with most everything but my legs... it takes me about 30 extra seconds to get up a flight of stairs in my house....

Sooo the point to all the :sad: is, should I try and do day 3 tonight as usual? Or do I need to take a break to let my body rest? I'm honestly asking - I am new to exercise (as pathetic as that sounds) and I don't know the "rules"...?

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    So glad you posted this!!! I bought and started the 30 Day Shred on July 2nd (knowing at the time that my plan was NOT to do it every day, but to have it as an option several times each week). I completed the 20 minutes Level One and for 3 days I literally could not stand up nor sit down without pain and using leverage! Now this is after I had already lost 35 of my 40 pounds and was working out 2-3x a week and feeling great! And my answer would be NO, you do not keep doing it; give your body a chance to recoup. I have done the DVD workout several times since then and have not experienced the same pain since. I just don't think you will benefit from doing the DVD if all you are doing is standing there in pain, unable to accomplish the most basic moves. Listen to your body and then try the 30 Day Shred again as soon as you feel up to it and do it as often as your body will allow you. You will be able to complete it, it just may take you longer than 30 days and that is OKAY!!!!! It is a tool, not a rule!!! Hope you feel better soon. I assure you that you will and that it won't hurt as much the next time. But it is a GREAT workout and I so enjoy that it only takes 20 minutes out of my day!
  • lisacarole
    lisacarole Posts: 11
    Options
    REST!! If you're that sore and uncomfortable you will not have proper form during the exercises. Your risk of injury is much greater at this time. Also, if you're still that sore from yesterday, chances are you're still burning fat!
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Working through the soreness is a good thing, It can actually help relieve it some. I do this all the time. I have one scheduled rest day a week, every other day Im at it no matter how sore. Good luck :)
  • KristiDawn
    KristiDawn Posts: 31
    Options
    I did the 30 Day Shred, the workouts are short but HARD, if you need a rest day and from what you are saying you DO need a rest day, take one! Its not good to push your body that much, especially if your new to working out. If you injury your body you'll have to rest more than an extra day.
  • KristiDawn
    KristiDawn Posts: 31
    Options
    ........ I totally agree with you lisacarole :happy:
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    don't do the workout, but do some stretches to help work out the lactic acid build up. it also helps to do some "light" work, go for a jog / walk so that you use your muscles so that they have a chance to get everything back in order. if you don't do this, it could take twice as long or longer to get everything back to feeling good. and before you do the next one, do some extra stretches to help prevent this from happening again, though even if you do it the same it won't be as bad.

if the stretches don't work, you can also hop in a hot tub or apply a heating pad or something to work it out. One time I didn't stretch enough before playing some hard football and I had a deep cramp in one leg for 3 weeks. I could not stretch it out and cycling didn't help it at all. I sat in a hot tub for a half hour and it completely went away.
  • sweetcyanide
    sweetcyanide Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    REST! it's important to give your body a day to rest. when you exercise, you're literally tearing the muscle. just in a healthy way. so your muscles work best (which means more burned calories) when you give them some rest and time to heal. during a work out, you're hurting because of the lactic acid in your muscles. however, it's not really a bad thing. it's just fuel for muscles. but this acid disappears an hour after your work out. so if you're still hurting, and to that extent, give yourself at least a day of rest. the saying of "no pain, no gain" isn't always true.
  • Flippy44
    Flippy44 Posts: 77
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I worry if I don't do it today I'll start a slippery slope of excuses. Argh. Did I mention I'm a hater when it comes to exercise (the reason for my current weight predicament no doubt). I think I'll at least "follow along" the video and see how much I can do without coming close to pushing it. Maybe that will warm up my muscles enough and I'll finish with some GOOD stretches. Here's hopin! :D
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    When I get muscle soreness from a work out, I do a Yoga dvd. It gives you some activity and helps stretch out your sore muscles.
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think i may have already said this to you in another thread, but not sure....I started doing my own stretching routine at the end of each workout day of the shred because I was really sore the first few days just doing it along with Jillian. After I started doing that, the soreness is WAY less and nearly nonexistent really. I know its probably after-the-fact now for today, but I would try to work thru the soreness a little, like you said, just to keep doing something. And keep in mind (from someone on day 12) It DOES get easier!! You can do this!!!! like Jillian says...the pain is "fear leaving your body" . But I also agree that you don't want to push to the point of injury, so do the modified moves and try doing some of the moves a little slower. As long as you are moving and keeping your heartrate up, you are doing it!

Keep it up!!! :happy:
  • Flippy44
    Flippy44 Posts: 77
    Options
    Thanks Shell! That is exactly what I did .... just took it easy and also did a LOT of stretching. BUT I'm proud to say I did do the whole routine - no stopping and no breathers. Hopefully I won't be sorry tomorrow!! :)