Paxil and Weight Loss

Options
Has anyone experienced a lot of difficulty losing weight while on an antidepressant like Paxil? I am just starting out my weight loss and don't want to get discouraged early. I have a visit with my doctor next week which I plan to get her feedback.

Thanks!

Replies

• crazyjkgirl
    crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Actually both times in my life that I was placed on Prozac, I immediately began dropping weight. And I wasn't even watching my eating habits then!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'm on Paxil and Depo Provera (really known to cause weight problems). I've not gained due to either one. I've had weight issues since puberty and long before these meds. I haven't had any problems losing weight because of any med I've been on.
  • asm325
    asm325 Posts: 10
    Options
    Glad to hear that. If I had to go off the Paxil now, my poor husband would suffer. :wink:
  • amarazi
    Options
    I've been on Paxil for more than a year and it never made me gain weight but it has hindered me in losing weight. A LOT of patience taking Paxil reported 20-60 lbs weight gain after the first year of taking it. I never saw the weight gain but I was busting my butt trying to lose weight, which never happened. I just stayed stagnant. I started doing research on it and found out about the weight gain issues. Also, Paxil can cause Metabolic Syndrome. I immediately got off the meds. Slow weaning process. I am now 2 weeks Paxil free but still going through HORRIBLE withdrawals from the meds. Something I wish the Dr. would have brought up when prescribing it to me. There is a really helpful site called quitpaxil.org that has tons of info. A lot of people got switched over to something else. I'm aiming for a more natural approach if I am still in need of anything once I get through the withdrawal symptoms.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    That's one of the side effects of a lot of SSRI's unfortunately. I've heard some terrible things about how hard it is to get off Paxil. Withdrawl symptoms are terrible.

Is there a reason why your Dr. is picking Paxil?? Lexapro or Celexa are a little less harsh on side effects.
  • amarazi
    Options
    Withdrawl symptoms are terrible.

VERY bad. I'm 2 wks off Paxil now and the nausea and the vertigo is finally gone, but I"m still having to deal with weird mood swings, high sensitivity to sound, body aches, and more. From what I understand I can still have up to 6 more weeks of this :(

If you can get on something else, do it. GL!
  • ItsJustVicki
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs on Paxil and now I am slowly weening myself off of the Paxil-with no withdrawal ;) I have been at a stand still so it is possible to lose weight on Paxil ;)
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I took Paxil CR several years ago for anxiety and put on 40 pounds in about 1-2 years, and yes, losing weight was really difficult when on it. As a result, I switched to Lexapro and it was somewhat easier . I went off Lexapro for about two years and lost more weight, but my anxiety got worse and my doctor put me on Wellbutrin. It's not typically thought of as an anti-anxiety med, but it does work for some people and it's working for me. I've had no weight gain on it, and have been steadily losing.

Just two important things:
    -everyone responds differently to medication
    -try not to worry about gaining weight, and focus on your mental health. Paxil was a godsend at the time I took it, and I don't regret it.

Hang in there, and just be sure to keep up a dialogue with your doctor about your concerns and about what is and what's not working for you!

PS I forgot to add that Paxil withdrawal can be very hard, but it can be with many SSRIs. When I switched from Paxil to Lexapro I was slowly weaned off one and on to the other, and felt no ill effects. However, when I weaned myself off Lexapro completely, it was hard, but doable.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Everyone responds differently to Paxil and to Paxil withdrawal. Personally, I gained 100 pounds in a year on Paxil. I literally went from under weight at 103 to obese at 210. I was up to 47% body fat. I went for a recertification course as a personal trainer at my largest and was in the gym daily and watching my intake, so I know it was all the meds and hormone changes because of them. I also had severe withdrawal symptoms, including homicidal tendencies and almost bi-polar like mood swings, because I went off them cold turkey. When you are ready to come off of it, be very VERY careful and only do it with doctors supervision. That goes for any antidepressant.

The good news is that you can get past issues that cause the need for them. Personally, I had to deal with it through therapy and beating the crap out of a heavy bad daily for about 6 months. Being off of it, though, helped me to lose the body fat. I'm still almost 200 pounds but my heavy training schedule helped me put most of that on as muscle. However, I will always have issues with my hormones so I have to constantly be vigilant about my exercise or the body fat starts to creep back up.

Good luck!