A few ways to burn some extra calories

Options
1-While you may be religious about going to the gym every day, waking up 10 minutes earlier in the morning and taking a walk around the block (or, alternatively, simply dancing to your morning radio show for 10 minutes) will let you start off your day with a faster-burning metabolism and, most likely, head off to work in a better mood than usual.

Boost in calories burned: 275 calories per week

2-Do intervals, When you alternate high-intensity cardio workout routines with moderate-intensity recovery periods, you boost your calorie burning and increase your fitness level. This will help you break through plateaus.

Here's how: Warm up for 5 minutes, then increase speed or resistance on the machine for 2-5 minutes. Return to your usual pace for 5 minutes, then continue with short bursts interspersed with a moderate pace for the rest of your fitness workouts. Cool down for 5 minutes at a slower pace. When you're ready to progress, make the work part of the interval longer and decrease the recovery time (but never to less than 30 seconds). For example, you could do 6 minutes at a higher speed and rest for 3 minutes.

Boost in calories burned: 300-450 calories per 45 minutes

3-Work out with a faster partner. A fit buddy will challenge you to keep up and exercise at a higher intensity. It's the friendliest way to kick your own butt! Plus, fitness workouts go faster accompanied by good conversation.

Boost in calories burned: Simply increasing your walk from 3 mph to 4 mph will burn almost 100 extra calories in 60 minutes

4-Here's my jump rope again :laugh: Head off to a corner with a jump rope. These quick heart-pumping fitness workouts are also weight bearing, so your muscles and bones will benefit. And you'll probably feel completely energized, too.

Boost calories burned: You can burn 208 calories on two 10-minute breaks each day (that's 1,000 calories a week)!

5-Go longer. If your typical workout is 30 minute, no shorter, no longer, here's an easy way to challenge yourself. Twice a week, try adding 10 or 15 minutes to your cardio. You'll burn more calories and increase your cardiovascular endurance level. To adapt your fitness workouts to your higher fitness level, every two weeks up your intensity level by increasing resistance or incline on the machine or road.

Boost calories burned: Running 30 extra minutes on the treadmill each week can burn 400 calories.

Replies

• Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips.
  • pajamamama
    pajamamama Posts: 61
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks!
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    Thanks for the great info!
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've read quite a few of your workouts and tip sort of post, just wanted to say thanks for posting them and keep em coming.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you as always, you Rock Chick!!:flowerforyou: :smooched:

You're very generous sharing all your tips and tricks and magic hat secrets ;oÞ

I'll be checkin into this more tomorrow,
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you as always, you Rock Chick!!:flowerforyou: :smooched:

You're very generous sharing all your tips and tricks and magic hat secrets ;oÞ

I'll be checkin into this more tomorrow,
    Becca:flowerforyou:

I think sometimes i'm a little overwhelming. I want to add variety to people's workouts. The one thing though I don't think I mentioned, is that people really should carry a notebook around, I have everything written down according to type of workout, in a colour coded notebook. Every sunday I plan out my routine for the week ahead. This way there is no ifs and or buts about it, I just do it. I record my numbers, how fast I went, weight I used, and sometimes just to jot down ideas I see other people doing that I can add to my own workouts and put my own flavour to it. I gladly will share all my little tricks. :laugh:
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    Ohhhhh I love the notebook tip!!!!!!! Luv ya!!!!
  • mistystover
    Options
    I use my Iphone the "notes" too!
  • diamondD
    diamondD Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips!
  • girlmeetsworld93
    Options
    these are awesome tips! and i def. going to try them out! thank you =)
  • mskimberlee
    mskimberlee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your advice! I use it daily!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou:

I've just started interval training and your adviice has helped me sort out a more structured routine when I'm running!

Thanks again, as always, your advice is fantastic and such a benefit to many people on here x
  • Manuka
    Manuka Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Great advice, thank you! :happy:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    you rock! :drinker:
  • Tammysjourney
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I am going to try the interval thing for sure. What do you mean by color coded with the notebook? I had wondered about the notebook, but had never seen anyone else with one, and thought I would look stupid lol. Can I add you as a friend? I'm going to have to start watching out for these. I'm always up for learning new tricks,and trying new things.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    party0002.gif